What's new

Utah Vanity Plate that says DeportM

prodigy

I saw this story in the news today:
https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/2020/02/04/new-bill-would-prohibit/
A Utah state senator introduced a bill Tuesday that would allow the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles to refuse to issue a license plate that disparages someone based on race, color, national origin, religion, age, gender, citizenship status and other immutable characteristics.

That move from Sen. Luz Escamilla, D-Salt Lake City, comes just weeks after a license plate bearing the phrase “DEPORTM” sparked controversy on social media and prompted changes to the state system for reviewing personalized license plates.
How many employees saw this and said this is fine. There's got to be a better system in place right?

That's a dumb plate but who cares. Do we really need a law to block that? He can just get a different plate and put a sticker above it that says the same thing.

That's a dumb plate but who cares. Do we really need a law to block that? He can just get a different plate and put a sticker above it that says the same thing.

If its on a license plate it almost feels like its sponsored by the govt. Someone should have had the common sense to deny it but yeah in the long run it doesnt really matter.

I wonder if the reaction would be different if the majority of the population and legislature interpreted the M as Mormons rather than Mexicans? if so, then I think the reason why this bill needs to become law will be proven.

I wonder if the reaction would be different if the majority of the population and legislature interpreted the M as Mormons rather than Mexicans? if so, then I think the reason why this bill needs to become law will be proven.

The M isn’t for either. I initially thought it stood for Mexicans too. But I think it’s just Deport Em.