What's new

Vertical Jump Programs...

i don't have the best vertical either, but im quite explosive and strong and can finish through contact... try to get quicker as well... a strong uper body can help a ton... tony parker is not a leaper at all, but his first step, speed and quickness is off the charts... if you are that short, being a leaper won't help you much... try to get stronger and quicker and get your body fat percentage lower... better agility will help you more than your jumping ability...

Don't know if you were talking to me here, but...

For me, in this case dunking the basketball again is not about being a better basketball player. It's literally about dunking a basketball again. It's true I'm using it as a method to motivate me to continue to get into better shape as well (I want to loose about 5% more body fat). I need goals to keep me going. This just happens to be the one I am pursuing now. I'm already one of the faster, explosive and more agile of he guys I play with. But this program is supposed to help with speed and agility as well. When I played in high school my game was all about out jumping the competition and getting to the basket (as well as 3pt shooting).

Not trying to knock what you're saying. I do appreciate the input.

God damn it. I got lazy as **** once I started school again and the fact that I didn't have enough summer hours to be considered "full-time" to get the free gym.

Bad news guys, I went to the hospital yesterday for the control of my wound and the stitches on the sole of my right foot, I asked the doctor about my VJ training, I was hoping for an answer like "Oh you can start again your workouts in a couple weeks". But he told me that any jumping movement is out of question for at least 4-6 months! That was a bummer!

He gave one more week to take out the stitches, he says a deep wound like mine would complete its full laceration repair in four to eight months normally, in my case six months would probably do it but until the last phase of the healing, I shouldn't do any jumping or running movement which could split the wound. He only gave permission for simple bodyweight squats only after at least two months. Nevertheless we will negotiate about this issue on the further checks, if it heals faster than the expected, I can catch on my program one way or another.

By the way if anyone wonders my progress, at my last workouts and tests, I was stucked at 28-29 inches running VJ, I was so close to the 30" treshold but I had to lighten my workouts the last month because of my busy schedule. But I'm hopeful for the future, because I've never done any weight trainings yet, only plyometrics, lots of jumpings and bodyweight exercises were on my program. That's good news because, weighted trainings can add a lot to VJ and I will do those exercises after I fulfill my potential from the plyos, general strength, quickness, speed and bodyweight exercises.

I've actually dropped my weight to 185 and am pretty close to dunking (probably about 5'' away). This is all without any actual training. The weight loss has just come from being too poor to buy food to snack on.

Bad news guys, I went to the hospital yesterday for the control of my wound and the stitches on the sole of my right foot, I asked the doctor about my VJ training, I was hoping for an answer like "Oh you can start again your workouts in a couple weeks". But he told me that any jumping movement is out of question for at least 4-6 months! That was a bummer!

He gave one more week to take out the stitches, he says a deep wound like mine would complete its full laceration repair in four to eight months normally, in my case six months would probably do it but until the last phase of the healing, I shouldn't do any jumping or running movement which could split the wound. He only gave permission for simple bodyweight squats only after at least two months. Nevertheless we will negotiate about this issue on the further checks, if it heals faster than the expected, I can catch on my program one way or another.

By the way if anyone wonders my progress, at my last workouts and tests, I was stucked at 28-29 inches running VJ, I was so close to the 30" treshold but I had to lighten my workouts the last month because of my busy schedule. But I'm hopeful for the future, because I've never done any weight trainings yet, only plyometrics, lots of jumpings and bodyweight exercises were on my program. That's good news because, weighted trainings can add a lot to VJ and I will do those exercises after I fulfill my potential from the plyos, general strength, quickness, speed and bodyweight exercises.

I missed the story, what did you do to your foot?

I broke mine last year in March and it didn't fully heal until earlier this year. Longest 9 months of my life. The process humbled me a lot though, which I needed.

Just don't compound the injury and the gains you've made. You'll probably lose a lot of the gains due to inactivity, but if you eat well during your recovery, and don't have to make the ultimate task one a process of both trying to gain back what you've lost AND losing weight, it will be a lot easier. Good luck.

I've actually dropped my weight to 185 and am pretty close to dunking (probably about 5'' away). This is all without any actual training. The weight loss has just come from being too poor to buy food to snack on.

Weight lost is very helpful as long as you don't lose much muscles along with it. On the other hand, weight can also be less irrelevant if your body composition is good muscle wise and if your muscles are strong, powerful and explosive.

For instance, this guy was over 360 pounds and yet he had a crazy 36" standing VJ in his prime.

hp_shane.jpg

I missed the story, what did you do to your foot?

I broke mine last year in March and it didn't fully heal until earlier this year. Longest 9 months of my life. The process humbled me a lot though, which I needed.

Just don't compound the injury and the gains you've made. You'll probably lose a lot of the gains due to inactivity, but if you eat well during your recovery, and don't have to make the ultimate task one a process of both trying to gain back what you've lost AND losing weight, it will be a lot easier. Good luck.

Thank you very much for the advice. I'm very careful about my nutrition now thanks to my this VJ adventure. I have learned lot's of things during this project and I'm trying to implement all that info into my life. I'll be on constant attention about my weight until at least I can start to jogging a bit.

As for the story, it's kinda happened because of this VJ fad too. I was walking to the kitchen with my favorite tea mug on my hand, obviously, I dropped it in the process, during the action, I was panicked that I was gonna drop it on my foot so I had to make a quick plan while the cup on the air. Because of my mind was full of this VJ fantasy, the only thing I could come up was, Jumping! So in short, I just jumped(that was a good 25" VJ) on the thick and sharp half of my tea cup laying on the ground. It directly went in to my sole of my right foot, I lost a lot of blood, went to the hospital all by myself while crying secretly.

At the end, I got eleven stitches and a doctor report for a free week!:)