What's new

Walker Kessler Should No Longer Play Until KO is Traded

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
This is going to be a controversial take because I know a lot of people here think Walker Kessler is the 2nd coming, but he should not be playing until we move KO.

The reason: Lauri Markkanen needs to be developed as a guy who plays the 5. Doing this is way more important than developing Walker Kessler. If the time comes to trade KO, you absolutely do it so you can start giving Kessler some spot starter minutes and spot backup 5 minutes, but until then he should not play (unless foul trouble/injury of course).

Due to the fact KO seems to always be in foul trouble I think we'll continue to see Kessler.
Even without foul trouble I'd give him spot minutes to continue to develop him. There's time, but without real competition I think he'll stagnate.

ul trouble I think we'll continue to see Kessler.
Even without foul trouble I'd give him spot minutes to continue to develop him. There's time, but without real competition I think he'll stagnate.
He might stagnate, that's fine. The most important thing for his development right now is just working on his body. He will probably get minutes later in the season when trades (probably) happen. The more pressing issue is getting Lauri reps at the 5. It helps everyone else develop and it's where the team is heading. Kessler is our future backup, not our future starter.

I used to think that but now I'm not so sure. Bottom line is, I want him involved in pick and rolls. Good things seem to happen every time he's the screener. He already has great chemistry with JC and Mike. When there's space in the middle and he can either pop, short roll or dive to the basket, it really opens up his game.
And maybe even more importantly, it makes the game much easier for everyone else.

Kessler just isnt a vertical threat right now and he mucks the game up too much without much benefit.

He's been doing that...

Vandy plays everywhere. He is everywhere on both sides of the ball. He's our slasher that is able to take advantage of the spacing that Lauri/KO provide.
It's hard to be an effective slasher when defenses don't respect your shot one bit. Everybody sags off Vanderbilt because they know he's gonna go to his ultra dominant left hand and try to find a way to the basket. He has to take more of those corner 3's and he has to make more of them too.

Anyway, I love his hustle and he obviously thrives in chaos. But the Mavs game showed that when the offense slows down in half court and we see a zone, it's tough to find a role for him. I'm just not sure where you play him if Lauri is at the 5. His defender will always be able to cheat off him and bother the center.

Kessler looked rough last night because of getting sick and missing a few games setting him back a tad. I think he will be just fine as he was looking good before that and will play himself back to form, and he is a rookie lets give these guys a little leash before we start hating on them.

Kessler looked rough last night because of getting sick and missing a few games setting him back a tad. I think he will be just fine as he was looking good before that and will play himself back to form, and he is a rookie lets give these guys a little leash before we start hating on them.
Got nothing to do with hating Kessler

I disagree. I see great potential in Kessler. We add the same issue at Grizz with Brandon Clarke . A lot of people on forum says he was not good enough, can't shoot and shoud not play much. He improve, get a shoot ( not great but not bad) and become a valuable bench player. Give him some times please.....

I disagree. I see great potential in Kessler. We add the same issue at Grizz with Brandon Clarke . A lot of people on forum says he was not good enough, can't shoot and shoud not play much. He improve, get a shoot ( not great but not bad) and become a valuable bench player. Give him some times please.....
Yeah, time on the bench and in the weight room.

Yes... everyone knows the best thing for young basketball players development is lifting heavy **** and not you know playing basketball. Don't come back until you got all teh six packs Walker. Also, its impossible for him to do both... so the correct solution is to take the promising young player and put his *** on the bench.

plus kessler just hasn't been very good. he's having all sorts of trouble affecting/blocking shots and offensively he's good for a couple open dunks every game and that's only if the opportunities are there. doesn't really do anything offensively on his own.