What's new

Walker Kessler Thoughts?

I have never criticized his hands. It's just wild people are acting like his hands are some next level attribute. If you throw a pass at a 7 footers knees they are going to drop it often.
He has great hands bruh… Steph will miss some shots but he’s still a great shooter. Someone saying he has great hands doesn’t make them godlike… just means he catches the ball cleanly in traffic. You are such a weirdo sometimes.

He has great hands bruh… Steph will miss some shots but he’s still a great shooter. Someone saying he has great hands doesn’t make them godlike… just means he catches the ball cleanly in traffic. You are such a weirdo sometimes.
His hands haven't been tested at all. He has made good catches in spots were any player with solid hands would make catches. He has dropped passes or been ripped as well. I don't see them as some elite attribute you would compare to Steph's shot....

His hands haven't been tested at all. He has made good catches in spots were any player with solid hands would make catches. He has dropped passes or been ripped as well. I don't see them as some elite attribute you would compare to Steph's shot....
Got it. He doesn’t have good hands he’s just made catches that players with good hands have made… makes sense. I didn’t compare his hands to stephs shot… just showing that even guys with godlike attributes can have errors.

Kessler has good hands. What looks to put him on a slightly higher level is that when he catches the ball he doesn't need to stop and gather. As long as you hit him at waist level he can catch and move immediately to a shooting motion. It makes it harder to poke the ball away or foul him, which is good because he needs help on his free throws.

It is a lesser version of that freaky Joe Ingles catch and shoot where he would release the ball milliseconds after receiving the pass. I miss Joe.

Kessler definitely has good hands. I'm not questioning that, but I don't think they are an elite attribute, but then again, I don't think they have been properly tested (you have to see it over the xourse of a season how he handles different scenarios). I don't think they are as good as say Derrick Favors at the peak of his powers in Utah.

I don't think it's too early. I'm ready to call Kessler a definite hit as as mid/late first round draft pick. He might not be a full time starter, but he's definitely going to play in this league. He just needs to get a little bit stronger and gain more experience on defense.

Has anyone worn 24 since Jeff Malone?

I don't think it's too early. I'm ready to call Kessler a definite hit as as mid/late first round draft pick. He might not be a full time starter, but he's definitely going to play in this league. He just needs to get a little bit stronger and gain more experience on defense.
I kinda thought he'd be an nba player as a backup for sure... but where he is right now is where I kinda thought his ceiling would be. So the biggest question on my end is what is his ceiling? Its pretty amazing to see a kid this mature right off the jump.

I kinda thought he'd be an nba player as a backup for sure... but where he is right now is where I kinda thought his ceiling would be. So the biggest question on my end is what is his ceiling? Its pretty amazing to see a kid this mature right off the jump.

I had similar thoughts. He's been super impressive. I think his ceiling might have as much to do with how the game changes over time and how valuable a player like him is. Defensively, I think he's more of the Lopez/Marc Gasol build, but those guys are still super valuable and always will be. You can be the DPOY being a strong interior presence + incredible post defender. I think he needs to get physically stronger and have more reps to get on that level, but it's totally doable. He's so far ahead of where I expected him to be. What's been interesting to me is that Hardy is deploying him like Rob Williams (I wonder if he was the one who came up with that idea) and not having guard the C very often. He's just being a huge deterrence. The Jazz tried to do that with Gobert a little, but it wasn't well practiced. I think this is the style of defense that will eventually take over. Even if I think Kessler is more of Marc/Lopez type athlete, it's good to see he can still be effective in that role and his instincts are pretty good.

Offensively I'm not sure I buy into the shooting aspect that some had hoped for but I'm shocked at how comfortable he looks in the paint. He's really good when there's a guy on between him in the basket. The real test will be how he responds to switching defenses and what kind of value he can provide there. His hands+calm presence under pressure is a really good indicator though.