What's new

Watching the Mavs and Thunder play...

pappyman

I realized that they are not really that much better than the Jazz. Oklahoma City in particular. They have absolutely no offensive strategy whatsoever. All they do is give the ball to Russell Westbrook, have him drive to the basket, and either try to score or pass it out to their shooters on the perimeter. If they're not doing that, they give the ball to Kevin Durant and basically let him go one on one. The same can be said for James Harden. No wonder they struggle on offense. Compared to the Jazz, they are WAY behind offensively. I'm telling you, the Jazz weren't successful this season because they weren't trying to be successful. Sure, they may have said all of the right things to the media, but in reality they were not trying to succeed because they weren't going to get very far. They knew that Deron Williams was likely to leave them, so they traded him away for their future. We are definitely going to come back from our "bad" season. I wouldn't be surprised if we are back in the playoffs next season (if there is one). This year's offseason will be the one that puts us back on track. GO JAZZ!!!

Thunder have a scoring champion in Kevin Durant thats the difference with any Jazz team we've had in the last decade. Thunder just don't execute to the point that a veteran Dallas, Lakers, Spurs, or even Sloan Jazz team did. But they sure have a chance to in the upcoming years.

I was however drawing comparisons to myself of the Bulls yesterday. If they dont get out of the WCF they are no better than the Jazz were. Great PG, Boozer + sidekicks. Sure they got Noah and Deng, but Jazz had Memo + Millsap.

I think this actually raises a good point. Good teams have at least 1 or may be 2 players that when the game's on the line, they can throw the ball to in iso and let them go to work.

Create off the dribble, draw a foul, And +1 situation. Looking at the 4 conf. finalists we have:

Chicago - Rose
OKC - Durant, Westbrook
Miami - Wade, LeBron
Mavs - Dirk

In this draft I think there are 3 players who are capable of doing that: Irving, Williams, Kanter.

I think this actually raises a good point. Good teams have at least 1 or may be 2 players that when the game's on the line, they can throw the ball to in iso and let them go to work.

Create off the dribble, draw a foul, And +1 situation. Looking at the 4 conf. finalists we have:

Chicago - Rose
OKC - Durant, Westbrook
Miami - Wade, LeBron
Mavs - Dirk

In this draft I think there are 3 players who are capable of doing that: Irving, Williams, Kanter.
create off the dribble? iso? Irving/Williams - YES. Kanter - NO.

create off the dribble? iso? Irving/Williams - YES. Kanter - NO.

I do think Kanter has the potential to do that with his inside/outside game. Fake a jumper, drive to the hole. Fake a jumper, jump shot. Hit the jumper. Spin move, And +1.

Fringe bigs
Bargnani - outside only
Bogut - inside only
Horford - inside only
Lopez - inside only

Premium bigs
Dirk - inside/outside
Stoudemire - inside/outside
Duncan - inside/outside
Aldridge - inside/outside
Howard - sick inside

I don't think the OKC criticisms because right now you're watching them against a Dallas team that is playing very well. Go back and watch the Jazz-Bulls finals. In 1998, nearly all the scores were in the 80s. In one game the Jazz scored 54 points. If you judged those two teams based solely on that series, they looked offensively inept despite Jordan, Pippen, Malone, Stockton... I think OKC and Dallas are light years ahead of the 2010-11 Jazz, but hopefully the 2011-12 Jazz can close the gap.

Side note: Damn that series was close...take out the miserable 42-point loss and the games were decided by 3, 5, 4, 2 and 1 points. It's still a little painful even 13-14 years later.

The Thunder are have more talent than us.
They have a Superstar.
They have a bench.
The have athletes.
They play as a team.

You are right that they don't have a good offensive system yet. They look lost at times playing the elite Mavs.
Although they played together all season they did choke and fall apart under pressure.

We aren't too far behind them talent wise, but we don't have a superstar. We also have a Bell who is giving us very little, yet plays
a lot of mins. I'm don't think Kanter is a superstar. I think he's a good player like Boozer, but not a game changer like Durrant or Nowitzki

The funny thing is, I actually think they might have won that series with Jeff Green and Kristic. That was just a boneheaded trade. Perkins is nothing more than a space eater.

I realized that they are not really that much better than the Jazz. Oklahoma City in particular. They have absolutely no offensive strategy whatsoever. All they do is give the ball to Russell Westbrook, have him drive to the basket, and either try to score or pass it out to their shooters on the perimeter. If they're not doing that, they give the ball to Kevin Durant and basically let him go one on one. The same can be said for James Harden. No wonder they struggle on offense. Compared to the Jazz, they are WAY behind offensively. I'm telling you, the Jazz weren't successful this season because they weren't trying to be successful. Sure, they may have said all of the right things to the media, but in reality they were not trying to succeed because they weren't going to get very far. They knew that Deron Williams was likely to leave them, so they traded him away for their future. We are definitely going to come back from our "bad" season. I wouldn't be surprised if we are back in the playoffs next season (if there is one). This year's offseason will be the one that puts us back on track. GO JAZZ!!!

They seem to be doing pretty well with "no offensive strategy". Actually they do have one: draft shooters/scorers and let them shoot and score.

Now, I do agree with you that they have little good offensive strategy beyond that. But what they do have got them to the conference finals and they were not a fluke. What it shows is what plain old shooting ability can get you, something the Jazz do not seem to value enough. Are there any great shooters in this draft? Other than the Jimmer?

Dwill, knight, hamilton, thompson are Considered best shooters in the draft, after jimmer. Why so many want another big just baffles the hell out of me. Itsnfunny how the borg mentality consumes this board and make everyone think they know better than the scouts. There is a reason knight is considered a top three pick and yes better than the immortal and flawless kanter.

lol....

I guess we all see what we want to see.

Watching the final 4 teams play has proven to me how very far away we truly are.

Guards who can create. Wings that can shoot. Bigs who actually box out and shut down the lane. Attitude. Big shots. Clutch plays. Good coaching.

Everything we aren't.

Folks, there's a reason why we're in the lottery! And it isn't because we're "almost" as good as Dallas, Miami, OKC, and Chicago.

Keep in mind there's a big difference between having a bad offensive strategy, and simply struggling offensively in the conference finals. Playing good defensive teams can have alot to do with it.

IMO one thing that's become apparent in this series is Durant needs to develop a way to score that doesn't involve him starting at the 3pt line. His entry point allows the Mavs to play Kidd on him, help and recover. Add that face-up game from the pinch-post or from about 17-feet on the wing instead of 23 feet. From 17-feet he could rise up and shoot over Kidd all day, he can do the same from the 3pt line but not nearly as effectively or often. Then again, he's scary enough as a player.