What's new

We Got Swindled by Sexton (And Eddie Zero Sucks)

The biggest mistake he is still making is he attempts to score at the rim when he is very likely to get swatted… honestly not even sure I care that much as it’s happened twice in two games and he has like 6 blow by layups in that time. No one is mistake free…. He’s clearly trying and capable.
Saw that on the 4th quarter drive last night. I won't make excuses but he clearly got a little frustrated after the Warriors made that late run. Beasley and Olynyk weren't playing any defense and just let Curry score at will. Sexton needs to keep his head during those situations and not try to do everything by himself. Dude clearly wants to win. Obviously Conley as a 16 year veteran would've kept his cool a little better though.

Like I said one step back and two forward for Sexton. I really like how he's starting to distribute the ball though. Outside of De'Aaron Fox it's really hard to find a faster guy than Sexton with the ball in his hands. He gotta work on keeping himself under control at all times.

Lauri? He most definitely sucked. Obviously he was one of the biggest reasons we lost.

But while everyone's celebrating Sexton's big game, IMO it bears repeating that his brand of out-of-control basketball doesn't get you W's. He had a bright green light for a long time at Cleveland and put up big scoring numbers, but that had absolutely no effect on the wins column.

The only sensible role for Sexton on this team is a sparkplug off the bench, playing 15 to 20 minutes. He's the definition of a guy who needs a short leash. Sexton can be useful at times if the offense resembles a clogged toilet, but you can't let him run a team. This isn't complicated.
You can't judge his impact on wins and losses on those cavs teams that were full on tanking. The fact that he was so efficient when surrounded by so little talent is actually really impressive.

You can't judge his impact on wins and losses on those cavs teams that were full on tanking. The fact that he was so efficient when surrounded by so little talent is actually really impressive.
Sure they were tanking. Sexton was the commander, and a great one. But they didn't have any less talent than, for instance, this team right here, and the players were obviously trying to win. The difference is, the Cavs gave the keys to Sexton and got out of the way. Then this happened:

I think the most underrated thing about Collin is that he really wants to be the best player he possibly can. That is one of the reasons why I think he still has a lot of growth left in his game. The ideal situation for us is having Conley miss a decent period of time so Sexton can really focus on being a point guard and still have Conley in his ear on the bench talking him through things. I think Conley can really thrive as a mentor with how smart he is and not having a huge ego. Most people think having vets around is always a good thing but it can turn toxic real quick if they view the young guys purely as competition.

Sure they were tanking. Sexton was the commander, and a great one. But they didn't have any less talent than, for instance, this team right here, and the players were obviously trying to win. The difference is, the Cavs gave the keys to Sexton and got out of the way. Then this happened:

Didn't have any less talent than our current team? You have to be joking. It is not even close the level of talent between the 2 teams. Those cavs teams were terrible and to top it off they were almost always dealing with a bunch of injuries as well.

Didn't have any less talent than our current team? You have to be joking. It is not even close the level of talent between the 2 teams. Those cavs teams were terrible and to top it off they were almost always dealing with a bunch of injuries as well.
Right now, we look like a terrible team. Lost 6 of last 8.

We were on fire to start the season but that doesn't change the fact that the rest of the league looked at this team and saw a bunch of castoffs and mediocre-at-best journeymen. Everyone waited for us to start losing and now it's happening.

Some people raised their stocks when we were winning, but if the L's keep coming, they will crash back to earth. Lauri included.

In the past two games hasn’t he averaged more points, assists and fewer turnovers than Mike’s average at any point in his career?

Your argument should be small sample size and not that he needs to cut down bad decisions… if the guy was doing this all season he’d be a fringe all star.

Haters going to hate.
There is more to the criticism of how he plays than just assist my guy.

Like I said, hes doing a better job of making the pass out of what he does.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/andyblarsen/status/1596367142210846720

This kind of stuff is what I mean

Even before he dribbled into the teeth of the defense and should have pulled out, he had Beasley - a guy who's been red hot from the perimeter - wide open on the left wing.

This is the stuff that drove Sexton's teammates crazy at Cleveland. He's not a bad guy, he just has zero BBIQ.

I mean, yeah, keep going at the rim. You go forceful enough you are going to score half the time, get fouled another 25% and get blocked 25%. I can live with that. I'd rather that than the patented Donovan floater that doinked off the back of the rim 55% of the time. Donovan has a lot of positive to his game. That damn floater wasn't one of them.

Additionally, Sexton going hard to the rim draws the defense, making that nice dump off pass to the trailer in the post work pretty well.
Also swats dont always equal something bad. sometimes you get swatted and it just goes out of bounds and you retain possession. Sometimes you get swatted and it goes to a teammate for an easy bucket.
Bottom line is that Sexton has played fantastic in the last two games. Going off the extremely small last two games sample size he has been better than conley.

I think the most underrated thing about Collin is that he really wants to be the best player he possibly can. That is one of the reasons why I think he still has a lot of growth left in his game. The ideal situation for us is having Conley miss a decent period of time so Sexton can really focus on being a point guard and still have Conley in his ear on the bench talking him through things. I think Conley can really thrive as a mentor with how smart he is and not having a huge ego. Most people think having vets around is always a good thing but it can turn toxic real quick if they view the young guys purely as competition.
This. Sexton has more heart and effort and cares more than anyone on the team imo (reminds me of gobert in that way). Add in a great mentor like conley and sexton could turn into something very special that none of us saw coming.

This.
I have never seen any other player on the team make a bad decision in a game. Sexton needs to eliminate the bad decision and be perfect like everyone else. (that was sarcasm. I actually saw both lauri and beasely, 2 of our best players, make bad decisions last night. not to mention KO, Vando, Clarkson, kessler, NAW, etc. Even the great THT was not perfect last night with his decision making)

Even before he dribbled into the teeth of the defense and should have pulled out, he had Beasley - a guy who's been red hot from the perimeter - wide open on the left wing.
i think he should have just taken that little 8 foot floater/jumper in the paint right when he got in there. That seems to be his shot (I think he made 2 or 3 of them just last night alone). Almost automatic.

If he continues to share the rock, it won't matter what lame old stories people post on here about the perpetually stoned JR Smith, or some other disgruntled former champ, mad the Cavs were trying to lose games after 4 finals runs, and Sexton was largely the only player on the entire roster worth developing and keeping.

THT last 7 games:

18/50 from the field (36%)
4/17 from 3 (23.5%)
17 assists
12 turnovers
17.1 MPG

Sexton last 7 games:

31/68 from the field (45.6%)
3/13 from 3 (23.1%)
29 assists
8 turnovers
24.4 MPG

One guy gets a pass and one guy is the scapegoat for our problems. Make it make sense.

THT last 7 games:

18/50 from the field (36%)
4/17 from 3 (23.5%)
17 assists
12 turnovers
17.1 MPG

Sexton last 7 games:

31/68 from the field (45.6%)
3/13 from 3 (23.1%)
29 assists
8 turnovers
24.4 MPG

One guy gets a pass and one guy is the scapegoat for our problems. Make it make sense.
I think Cy made a good point in the gamethread. He said that sexton was a higher pick and just signed a biggish contract so his expectations are greater. THT was a guy who many on the forum was pissed we gave up freaking beverly for.
So the expectations might be mucking things up.
If you dont look at expectations and simply look at each players stats or watch them play basketball then its clear that Sexton is the much better player. As he should be.

The biggest mistake he is still making is he attempts to score at the rim when he is very likely to get swatted… honestly not even sure I care that much as it’s happened twice in two games and he has like 6 blow by layups in that time. No one is mistake free…. He’s clearly trying and capable.
Well tonight he's killing it at the rim. Back to back 3 point plays, then a layup with Booker on this back. Looking much better. Very aggressive.