What's new

What can we get for Sexton in a trade?

This is such a huge overreaction thread. Just a few weeks ago he was playing really well and taking over every game for stretches. He is just in a funk right now but will snap out of it soon. The kid is a solid player on a reasonable contract.
He’s in a funk because he’s doing stoopid irrational things.

We are sitting no 1 in the Western Conference and Sexton's been an energy guy bringing us nice quick points from the bench along the way. Hardy knows what he is and has used him accordingly. He's had a couple of bad games, but so what? This board wants to get rid of the kid already. No mercy here, huh? Zero patience after a tight loss that was due to our poorer than normal shooting. lol

Last edited:
50% of the time he drives to the basket and chucks up a blind layup getting blocked or knocked to the floor and leaves the team suspect on defending fast break at the other end. Not only is he out of control but his mistakes almost inevitably result in -2 pts every single time. It’s a bad combo. He really needs to model his game after Lowry and figure out a better mid range and deep game. Right now he has one gear despite apparently weeks of mentoring from Conley. I’d say there is reason for concern but I hope he turns it around. He isn’t a bad shooter and does have athleticism if he could learn to play with composure

First off , they need to give him a Valium before each game .

No use trading him right now and get nothing back .

I think the best case scenario is slow him down , play the high screen for him and hit 12-15 ft jumpers , and get better at the floater and lob pass to the bigs .

He really is trying to do everything at a million miles an hour , I do think there is potential there that he can be coached .
I think it's going to be interesting to see what direction Hardy decides to go as far as starting lineups in Conley's absence. I think Hardy probably gives him another shot tomorrow night as a show of good faith but with a tacit understanding that he needs to quit going off script. If their heated conversation on the bench last night didn't hit home for Sexton as evidenced in his play tomorrow, I think there should be changes made regarding his place in the rotation.

I've really said it all before regarding my feelings about his abilities and performance. Missed shots don't mean a thing to me, because that's just the nature of the beast in the NBA these days. What was Lillard the other night in Portland before the injury? I think it was 0 for 12 or something but doubt he got tarred and feathered like Sexton has been. Nobody shot well for the Jazz last night save for Olynyk, it was a team loss. And I'm not concerned about Sexton's injury recovery either though some of you apparently feel he's lost a step or something - not sure who's quicker out there, but he's the quickest on our team by a mile. The problem as we all know by now is that he is not a true point guard in the sense that he doesn't get the other guys going like he should. But he's not alone in that respect, besides Clarkson with four assists last night, THT only had two and Beasley was tied with Sexton at only one assist. Pretty pathetic, particularly when Olynyk had four and Vando had five.

Let's remember that the anointed one apparently saw something special in Sexton. I mean there was Sexton buzz since early Summer going on. Did we overpay to allow the sign and trade? Yeah of course we did, unless you look at the big picture, the picks, swaps and the price we got Markkanen at. It was a good trade for us regardless how you look at it. But the fact remains that Ainge saw something he liked in Sexton even before Mitchell became part of the equation.

I still think Sexton has a lot of upside and that a committed coach like Hardy will get through to him and get him where he needs to be. And if at that point after his market value is more fully established we determine that he's superfluous on our roster, there's no shame in using his salary to get what we need to keep this train on track for playoff glory (notice I didn't say tank). I admit I'm about 50/50 at this point, but I do like the kid and his grit and determination and am rooting for him to become the next All Star point guard to play for the Utah Jazz. We have a pretty good track record for developing those guys as you know. You might say long shot but as you should all know by now, nothing is impossible this year, not when it comes to the revamped Utah Jazz.