What's new

What Do We Do if we get no big name tree agents?

Eh, I think if we strike out in free agency and trade then we have basically the same team as last year without Rubio (addition by subtraction).
Mitchell improves, gobert improves, Royce improves, Allen improves, maybe Exum gets healthy and improves, maybe Bradley is finally ready to contribute, maybe Crowder improves, add a player in the draft, etc.

I could still see us getting home court in the playoffs next season if we strike out in free agency and trade.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Bradley sucks, package him and Exum for a 4 piece meal at KFC

Eh, I think if we strike out in free agency and trade then we have basically the same team as last year without Rubio (addition by subtraction).
Mitchell improves, gobert improves, Royce improves, Allen improves, maybe Exum gets healthy and improves, maybe Bradley is finally ready to contribute, maybe Crowder improves, add a player in the draft, etc.

I could still see us getting home court in the playoffs next season if we strike out in free agency and trade.

I mostly agree. The only problem is we have a small window to try and add that third piece before we have to give Rudy a supermax and Donovan a max. We basically have this offseason and next plus the next two trade deadlines, and the free agent class next offseason sucks.

Another thing that really worries me is there are a lot of star free agents this year and the Lakers and Clippers both have the cap space to add one or two of them. Imagine if Durant and Kawhi go to the Clippers and Kyrie goes to the Lakers or the Lakers trade for Anthony Davis. If both of those teams improve and we don't they will likely pass us by. Instead of being a 5 seed next year we could easily drop to 7th.

A single ‘insider’ mentioning this as a possibility would be enough to get my hyped as hell.

Love the dude

We'd have to trade. Obviously he'd be a good player to put next to Mitchell and his contract is reasonable, though his shooting percentages are a little light.

I think we then split our money on 2-3 rotation guys instead. And one or two of those guys might be Favors or Rubio.

I kinda like Marcus Morris if things go bad. But the Jazz should have their pick of many 3rd tier free agents to choose from. Nobody else will have much money if the Jazz end up shut out of the top 2 tiers of free agents.

Tier 1 - Not for small market
------------
Durant
Kawhi
Irving
Butler
Klay
Horford

Tier 2 - We got a shot, a small one.
------------
Tobias
Russell
Middleton
Walker
Brogdon

Tier 3 - If nothing else works
--------------
Bogdanovic
Reddick
Dragic
Barnes
Green
Mirotic
Rozier
Randle
Beverly
Morris
Favors
Rubio
etc...

So, we are shut out of Tier #1. If we get shut out of tier #2 I think we try to get 2 or 3 guys off the tier #3 market and go for quantity over quality.

I think we then split our money on 2-3 rotation guys instead. And one or two of those guys might be Favors or Rubio.

I kinda like Marcus Morris if things go bad. But the Jazz should have their pick of many 3rd tier free agents to choose from. Nobody else will have much money if the Jazz end up shut out of the top 2 tiers of free agents.

------------
Durant
Kawhi
Irving
Butler
Klay
Horford

------------
Tobias
Russell
Middleton
Walker
Brogdon

--------------
Bogdanovic
Reddick
Dragic
Barnes
Green
Mirotic
Rozier
Randle
Beverly
Morris
Favors
Rubio
etc...

So, we are shut out of Tier #1. If we get shut out of tier #2 I think we try to get 2 or 3 guys off the tier #3 market and go for quantity over quality.
I would take 3 of those tier 3 over 1 tier 2.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I mostly agree. The only problem is we have a small window to try and add that third piece before we have to give Rudy a supermax and Donovan a max. We basically have this offseason and next plus the next two trade deadlines, and the free agent class next offseason sucks.

Another thing that really worries me is there are a lot of star free agents this year and the Lakers and Clippers both have the cap space to add one or two of them. Imagine if Durant and Kawhi go to the Clippers and Kyrie goes to the Lakers or the Lakers trade for Anthony Davis. If both of those teams improve and we don't they will likely pass us by. Instead of being a 5 seed next year we could easily drop to 7th.

Durant is going to the Knicks! Lakers are a dumpster fire. Nobody really wants to go there or play for them! 5 seed? Try #1 seed!

------------
Durant
Kawhi
Irving
Butler
Klay
Horford

------------
Tobias
Russell
Middleton
Walker
Brogdon

--------------
Bogdanovic
Reddick
Dragic
Barnes
Green
Mirotic
Rozier
Randle
Beverly
Morris
Favors
Rubio
etc...

Really good post.
I like your tier breakdown and this post actually made me more hopeful. I have no idea why

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app