What's new

What do you guys think about all these Mars One trip people?

if this guy is ditching his wife and four kids you divorce his *** now. Also that he is leaving his kids behind should have been a disqualification.

This project may lead to the long-term survival on the entire human race, but yes, lets worry about some woman and a few kids. Kinda like how Nelson Mandela should've spent more time being a better father and less time being a leader of the opposition to Apartheid.

If I had the chance I think I would go. It is pretty daunting to think that you will likely never see anyone you knew from here ever again, but sometimes that could be a relief too. I just think that would be living every sci-fi fans ultimate dream. To venture into the stars and build a new civilization. Nerdgasm for sure.

Reactions: MVP
Yay? And what's the big threat that endangers long term survival of the entire human race?

Overpopulization, nuclear war, destruction of our planet (pollution etc), using up the natural resources of this planet.

Yay? And what's the big threat that endangers long term survival of the entire human race?
There are so many ways our species could be destroyed. Fishon mentioned several, but there are even more. Having human populations on more than one planet and ultimately in multiple solar systems is an enormous insurance policy.

But it's even more important than just basic survival. It allows for a wider range of human possibility. It provides the space for people with differing views and social systems to live as they want to live without constant conflict with others who oppose their ways. It makes the economic notion of constant growth actually possible. It provides hope and motivation for the human spirit that the answers might be out there and we'll be out there looking for them.

can you not imagine what we'll learn just from trying to live on Mars and that it will only be the first step in the evolution of our species from being bound to a single spacial body to the ability to move and expand throughout the universe?

There are so many ways our species could be destroyed. Fishon mentioned several, but there are even more. Having human populations on more than one planet and ultimately in multiple solar systems is an enormous insurance policy.

But it's even more important than just basic survival. It allows for a wider range of human possibility. It provides the space for people with differing views and social systems to live as they want to live without constant conflict with others who oppose their ways. It makes the economic notion of constant growth actually possible. It provides hope and motivation for the human spirit that the answers might be out there and we'll be out there looking for them.

can you not imagine what we'll learn just from trying to live on Mars and that it will only be the first step in the evolution of our species from being bound to a single spacial body to the ability to move and expand throughout the universe?

^This. To travel further, we must first explore and settle our neighborhood.

If I had the chance I think I would go. It is pretty daunting to think that you will likely never see anyone you knew from here ever agpeopleain, but sometimes that could be a relief too. I just think that would be living every sci-fi fans ultimate dream. To venture into the stars and build a new civilization. Nerdgasm for sure.

I think this whole plan is hilarious.

All these people think this is going to be some grand adventure thats going to be lots of fun. The truth is it will probably be the most miserable thing they have ever done.

I can see it now. Half way there and already half of them will have had a nervous break down at the likes of which no one has ever seen. Once the realization of whats really going on, most will break down and freak out. I have a hard time believing the ship would even make it there.

Just trying to make that trip will test you. It wont be easy. Even the most highly skilled astronauts will have a hard time with it. I cant see how a bunch of dumbasses will survive the mental side of it.

Its going to a planet that is nothing like earth. It doesn't have conditions that favorable to human life. Most will be severely home sick before they even get there.

I predict complete breakdown of the colony within 6 months of living there.

I think this whole plan is hilarious.

All these people think this is going to be some grand adventure thats going to be lots of fun. The truth is it will probably be the most miserable thing they have ever done.

I can see it now. Half way there and already half of them will have had a nervous break down at the likes of which no one has ever seen. Once the realization of whats really going on, most will break down and freak out. I have a hard time believing the ship would even make it there.

Just trying to make that trip will test you. It wont be easy. Even the most highly skilled astronauts will have a hard time with it. I cant see how a bunch of dumbasses will survive the mental side of it.

Its going to a planet that is nothing like earth. It doesn't have conditions that favorable to human life. Most will be severely home sick before they even get there.

I predict complete breakdown of the colony within 6 months of living there.

Depends on your outlook (and 'in'look). We humans have a way about us that adversity often times brings out the best. To go where no man has gone before is enough for many to see their way though the complexities and hardships of forging that new ground.

Overpopulization, nuclear war, destruction of our planet (pollution etc), using up the natural resources of this planet.

I don't buy overpopulation problems. That's an ideological stance of people that want to depopulate the world so they can have everything to themselves. And if we got the point where we were living on other planets....that would also mean our weapons technology would be far more advanced. Why would those people be free from destruction if somebody were hellbent on destroying the human race? They would basically be living in prisons at least for the first X hundreds of years. It's not hard to kill people in prisons. My money would be on some Earthlings surviving a nuclear war, not the Mars crowd.

I don't buy overpopulation problems. That's an ideological stance of people that want to depopulate the world so they can have everything to themselves. And if we got the point where we were living on other planets....that would also mean our weapons technology would be far more advanced. Why would those people be free from destruction if somebody were hellbent on destroying the human race? They would basically be living in prisons at least for the first X hundreds of years. It's not hard to kill people in prisons. My money would be on some Earthlings surviving a nuclear war, not the Mars crowd.

we aren't even remotely close...

the end of the human race, or its near-end, will be due to a nuclear nutjob, not overpop.

Depends on your outlook (and 'in'look). We humans have a way about us that adversity often times brings out the best. To go where no man has gone before is enough for many to see their way though the complexities and hardships of forging that new ground.

I can promise you that its a lot more than just your "outlook". It doesn't matter how optimistic you are. Its not that easy. Some might find a way to deal with it but I bet most fold.

We are talking about a place that is nothing like the movies. Its weather system is extreme. We're talking sand storms with 300 mile an hour winds. No oxygen. Extreme temperatures. Its not meant to harbor life. Im not even sure we have the technology to sustain life out there for long periods of time. Where will all the supplies come from? We cant just make deliveries whenever needed.

Not even the most talented astronauts will find it to be fun or easy. Let alone a bunch of hairstylists and customer service reps.

Im all for it happening. I will be glued to the tv if it happens and its a reality show. But we arent ready for this. Not now. It will be a disaster.

Well as long as I have your promise. I'd feel better with a pinky swear if you could throw that in additionally.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

Well as long as I have your promise. I'd feel better with a pinky swear if you could throw that in additionally.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

Well now that you say it like that. I guess I can see how it will be no problem as long as you have a good attitude about it.

Sooo we take all the people who long for reality star fame, gather them all on a ship, and send said ship hurtling away from earth as fast as it can go, never to return? Those people's offspring will never set foot on Earth? I fail to see the downside here. Can we send most of the current reality TV "stars" as well?

Reactions: MVP
I think people underestimate just how home sick you will get and mentally challenging it will be. NASA conducts all sorts of personality tests on their own astronauts before they send them anywhere.

Picture the feeling of Coster phobia but times 1000 and it will never go away. You will long for for the relaxation of earths atmosphere like you could never believe. The feeling of knowing there is no help coming. You are essentially on a suicide mission That will break people long before the conditions have a chance to take them.

Ask someone how they felt after they were lost in the mountains or desert for a few days. Let a lone 100's of thousands of miles away from life on another planet without suitable living conditions. I think the 6 month trip in a spaceship would break most people.