What Does It Mean To Love The United States and to be a Patriot?

Gameface

1-20-21
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
I think I must have understood all of this wrong. I always believed being against racism was a form of patriotism. I always believed being for women's equality was a form of patriotism. I always believed that being against religious discrimination was a form of patriotism.

Was I really so stupid? Was I wrong? Did I serve the U.S. military for 6 years based on my own stupid misunderstanding of the nation I thought I loved?

Who are we? Who do we want to be?

We have to want to be better than this, don't we? Don't we want to be better?

candrew

I think I must have understood all of this wrong. I always believed being against racism was a form of patriotism. I always believed being for women's equality was a form of patriotism. I always believed that being against religious discrimination was a form of patriotism.

Was I really so stupid? Was I wrong? Did I serve the U.S. military for 6 years based on my own stupid misunderstanding of the nation I thought I loved?

I think I know what you're trying to say - this is one of the better explanations I've read. Senator Al Franken....

“We love America just as much as they do. But in a different way. You see, they love America like a 4-year-old loves his mommy. Liberals love America like grown-ups. To a 4-year-old, everything Mommy does is wonderful and anyone who criticizes Mommy is bad. Grown-up love means actually understanding what you love, taking the good with the bad and helping your loved one grow.”​

One Brow

For many people, the US of the late 50s/early 60s, with all the social implications that entails, is the golden age, and that's what they want the US to be.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
For many people, the US of the late 50s/early 60s, with all the social implications that entails, is the golden age, and that's what they want the US to be.
Yet oddly those people don't realize that Trump tax plan is the opposite of the tax plan at that time.
If they want today to be similar to the 50's and 60's then they should want higher taxes on the rich and more financial equality.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited: