What's new

What if we are stuck in rebuilding mode long term, ala the Clippers, Wizards, TWolves?

Harris is not even close to as good as Deron. Nor will he last as long since his entire game is predicated on his quickness and not his playmaking or shooting. Or strength.

The risk you run when you trade your franchise player and your coach feels he has to go is that you lose your identity and your steam. After Deron was traded, that was the last link to anything good that this team used to do. Now you start over. Harris and Jefferson should not be a part of that plan, IMO, because they're the two highest-paid players, not that good in the first place, a plainly poor match together (lane-crashing, poor-shooting PG + soft tweener low-post player with blinders on and poor coordination = when matching skill-sets and burning >$20 million annually), and even if they figure it out, they'll be a lot older than the players the Jazz will be acquiring over the years and even less than useful.

Considering that the Jazz are already rebuilding, Harris and Jefferson - who haven't really been known for their ability to help a team win (Nets stayed about the same or got worse, Mavericks got a little worse and then got a lot better/Timberwolves are as bad as they've always been and the Jazz became a lot worse) - aren't saving us from anything. And considering that in certain situations they might be nice players or might fetch some value on the market, it makes no sense to me to move forward with them. I'm hoping something happens on draft day where one of them is moved. Fortunately, the worst-case is they run out their contract and the Jazz lose them for nothing after figuring out that they aren't for us. Actually, I guess the worst case is the Jazz keep losing and still fall in love with the guys and extend them.

And yeah, WHAT IF the Jazz turn into one of those teams? You can bet they'll be sold and moved at some point if they don't turn it around. I've already resigned myself to the possibility that the Jazz become the Seattle Supersonics (the most ideal move if it has to happen) or something along those lines. But that doesn't mean I hope it comes down to that. If anything, the most foolish move was giving a guy with basically no experience as a coach (2nd assistant in charge of developing players and never having head-coached or even being a 1st assistant doesn't exactly instill optimism from me, besides being a good but mostly forgettable player) the keys without exploring other options. Bad move. I don't love Rick Adelman, JVG isn't perfect, but hell, at least they've done it before and can hopefully guide the team through some rocky times a little better.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

I'm not too worried about ending up like the Wizards, Clips, or T-Wolves. At least those teams have an opportunity to draft a superstar on occasion. The Clips future looks good with Blake, the Wizards got Wall, the T-Pups got Rubi......well I guess I don't want to end up like the T-Wolves.

Actually, I would prefer to be in their shoes than a team like the Bucks, Bobcats, or Suns. It is worse to be stuck as a middle-of-the-road team, never able to land a top pick, and making the playoffs will only result in a quick first round loss. We have enough talent and proven system that should always keep us above the cellar dwellers, but my fear is we will be stuck in the middle for the next 10 years.

Last year the Jazz didn't have anyone who could a) dribble or b) shoot. I'm withholding judgment on the team overall until we get someone who can do these things.

The playoff teams have two shooters who can spread the floor, one or two players who can slash, and one or two defensive bigs. The Jazz have one shooter, one mediocre slasher, and one defensive big. They're half a team right now.

The problem with Harris and Jefferson is that their games are the opposite of each other. Harris is more uptempo and Jefferson thrives in a half court set. I don't see them working well together. We need to pick an IDENTITY as a team and stick with it hoping that Corbin can make it work. Our team identity is just potential right now, which scares me to death.

So did Custer.

Not to change the subject, but Custer didn't do much planning at all. He kept his subordinates constantly in the dark about his intentions, and he made rash command decisions, which ultimately cost him his life and those of his command.

Or at least that's how I see it. Just finished reading a book about Little Bighorn, so I couldn't resist opining here. Sorry for the highjack.

What if we draft Jimmer #6?
What if we can never wear headbands?
What if Greg is the owner until he dies, and he lives to be 100?
What if Sloan returns?
What if Malone is never apart of the coaching staff?
What if Ty Corbin gets a 5 year deal?
What if Favors never leaves his hotel room for 3 years?
What if the Heat win 5 titles in a row?
What if Memo gets another extension?
What if Collins comes back?
What if Palin becomes President?
What if Jazzfanz closes down?
What if my buzz ends?

Move to Canada and become a Raptors fan?

Not to change the subject, but Custer didn't do much planning at all. He kept his subordinates constantly in the dark about his intentions, and he made rash command decisions, which ultimately cost him his life and those of his command.

Or at least that's how I see it. Just finished reading a book about Little Bighorn, so I couldn't resist opining here. Sorry for the highjack.

He may not have done much planning but it was still a plan, no?

Good read?

If the Jazz was in stuck in a 5 year non-playoff run, this team will be moved to a new city because I don't think this market could support a long-term loser.

Harris is not even close to as good as Deron. Nor will he last as long since his entire game is predicated on his quickness and not his playmaking or shooting. Or strength.

The risk you run when you trade your franchise player and your coach feels he has to go is that you lose your identity and your steam. After Deron was traded, that was the last link to anything good that this team used to do. Now you start over. Harris and Jefferson should not be a part of that plan, IMO, because they're the two highest-paid players, not that good in the first place, a plainly poor match together (lane-crashing, poor-shooting PG + soft tweener low-post player with blinders on and poor coordination = when matching skill-sets and burning >$20 million annually), and even if they figure it out, they'll be a lot older than the players the Jazz will be acquiring over the years and even less than useful.

Considering that the Jazz are already rebuilding, Harris and Jefferson - who haven't really been known for their ability to help a team win (Nets stayed about the same or got worse, Mavericks got a little worse and then got a lot better/Timberwolves are as bad as they've always been and the Jazz became a lot worse) - aren't saving us from anything. And considering that in certain situations they might be nice players or might fetch some value on the market, it makes no sense to me to move forward with them. I'm hoping something happens on draft day where one of them is moved. Fortunately, the worst-case is they run out their contract and the Jazz lose them for nothing after figuring out that they aren't for us. Actually, I guess the worst case is the Jazz keep losing and still fall in love with the guys and extend them.

And yeah, WHAT IF the Jazz turn into one of those teams? You can bet they'll be sold and moved at some point if they don't turn it around. I've already resigned myself to the possibility that the Jazz become the Seattle Supersonics (the most ideal move if it has to happen) or something along those lines. But that doesn't mean I hope it comes down to that. If anything, the most foolish move was giving a guy with basically no experience as a coach (2nd assistant in charge of developing players and never having head-coached or even being a 1st assistant doesn't exactly instill optimism from me, besides being a good but mostly forgettable player) the keys without exploring other options. Bad move. I don't love Rick Adelman, JVG isn't perfect, but hell, at least they've done it before and can hopefully guide the team through some rocky times a little better.

Anyway, I'm rambling.
Since you brought it up, I'd like to know if there's any correlation between being a good NBA player and being a good NBA coach. My gut tells me that the gritty players who somehow made a niche for themselves are much more likely to succeed as coaches than the superstars or freakish athletes. How was JVG's playing career, BTW? I think you are being overly pessimistic about the state of the Jazz.

I think you are being overly pessimistic about the state of the Jazz.

This board is full of overly pessimistic or guys drinking way to much coolaid. I personally think the Jazz have definite needs that need to be addressed but would like to see what happens when the team has a system in place, with a training camp behind them and more development time together before I say that we cant be a good team or are a playoff team next year. I don't think we can really judge this team from what we have seen in the short time from the trade deadline until the end of the season. With no real system, a bunch of new faces and all of the injuries how could anyone judge were we are. I am in the the to much coolaid group but I think with a preseason and system plus a few players this could be a very good team in 2 years.