What's new

What is the potential of this team?

Hedda Gambler

Let`s say that the team as it is now is a 30-35 win team. How many extra wins would each of the following scenarios give if they were to be realized?

1: Enes figures it out on the defensive end and can co-exist with Derrick Favors
2: Trey shoots over 40% and takes a normal amount of shots while keeping assists at 6-7 per game.
3: Alec becomes a 18-20 point scorer on decent efficiency
4: Exum becomes a top 5 PG with good to great defence
5: Gobert gets strong enough to be an offensive treath
6: Hood develops into a dependable 3&D-guy

They could potentially win more games than they lose.

Im really happy that most of our core guys are locked up (contractually) for the next 3 or so years and because of that, and the fact that I have always believed in the talent of our guys, I think we will be getting into at least the second round of the playoffs in a couple years........ if things go just right, I think we will be contenders.

Well it is hard to predict since that is a lot of things that need to happen. One has to take in account match-ups with the other teams in the league. The West is loaded and there are a few bad match-ups for the Jazz. However, if the Jazz were able to have all those things happen along with Favors and Hayward playing well then I think there is no limit on what this team can do. They have to play together and they have to develop a defensive mentality.

Exum is the key piece here. He looks like a star in the making so far. Not sure if Kanter fits. His crazy agent is looking for big money anyway. If Gobert continues to improve at his current pace and Q finds a way to play him alongside Fav, then watch out! The Jazz could be a solid playoff team for years to come, even a contender if Exum turns into a superstar.

I don't see #2 and #4 happening at the same time. If Exum becomes a top 5 PG then Burke is either his back up or playing for another team. I do like both players, even though I've been hard on Burke's struggles this season. I think Burks and Hood are the biggest factors here. Hood could be looked as the steal of the draft. I really like his stroke. If Exum becomes a star then we could become a legit title contender

It all hinges on Exum, because all other scenarios are marginal improvements. Exum as top 5 is a franchise changing improvement.

Level 1 is "Exum just a good player" and then a few of the scenarios play out, then the Jazz might make a 50-win team with some 2nd round play offs in the future.
Level 2 is "Exum is top 5" and a few of the scenarios play out, then the Jazz can approach 60wins and contend. The Jazz will not have "big 3" but rather "big 2 + 3" That is, Burks, Favors and Kanter would all have to become really good (or gobert and or Hood)
(this all assumes our new QS coached system is legit.)

Let`s say that the team as it is now is a 30-35 win team. How many extra wins would each of the following scenarios give if they were to be realized?

1: Enes figures it out on the defensive end and can co-exist with Derrick Favors
2: Trey shoots over 40% and takes a normal amount of shots while keeping assists at 6-7 per game.
3: Alec becomes a 18-20 point scorer on decent efficiency
4: Exum becomes a top 5 PG with good to great defence
5: Gobert gets strong enough to be an offensive treath
6: Hood develops into a dependable 3&D-guy

1. This alone to me is worth 5-6 wins. If Kanter figures it out and the two play off of each other's strengths and weaknesses within a team concept on defense (and offense), all the while improving individually, the team could improve a ton.
2. 2-3 wins.
3. We're not far off here, are we? 1-2 wins.
4. Oh Jesus...if he becomes a top 5 pg, Burke is expendable which sort of makes #2 moot. That said, for the sake of the question, I'd say this improves us by 7-10 wins. You win with studs in this league.
5. 2-3 wins.
6. 3-5 wins...if he's a Bruce Bowen, Ariza type.

That's 20-29 wins in improvement which means if we are a 33 win team, we're a 53-62 win team...which sounds about right because if all those things happen, we'd be pretty sick.

Last edited:
1. This alone to me worth 5-6 wins. If Kanter figures it out and the two play off of each other's strengths and weaknesses within a team concept on defense (and offense), all the while improving individually, the team could improve a ton.
2. 2-3 wins.
3. We're not far off here, are we? 1-2 wins.
4. Oh Jesus...if he becomes a top 5 pg, Burke is expendable which sort of makes #2 moot. That said, for the sake of the question, I'd say this improves us by 7-10 wins. You win with studs in this league.
5. 2-3 wins.
6. 3-5 wins...if he's a Bruce Bowen, Ariza type.

That's 20-29 wins in improvement which means if we are a 33 win team, we're a 53-62 win team...which sounds about right because if all those things happen, we'd be pretty sick.

Pretty good thoughts. Biggest variables in these scenarios seem to be exum and kanter. I have more faith in exum right now, but kanter becoming a decent two way stretch big would be pretty awesome.

If we have a superstar player in exum, we will be contenders. Gonna be battling the Pelicans for the west in a few years. Dat favors/Davis rivalry doe.

I'd like to see Kanter and Gobert play together more. Kanter's feel and pace of play seem to be improving and he can space the floor out to 20 feet at least.

I'd bring Burks off the bench where he can be the 6th man sparkplug.

I'm close to writing off Burke.

Exum/Hayward/3-D player/Kanter/Gobert would be a good team.