What's new

What is Walker Kessler's upside?

He seems to be really smart and his finishing package around the rim is surprisingly mature. So I don't know if he takes major leaps and bounds from where he is... but agree he looks like a good rotation center and would be an improvement on a few teams situations.

I don't see him developing the jumper... I think he could be a good roll man without crazy verticality... he seems to catch and finish well. I don't want to sell him short but its also good to be semi-realistic. He has been a nice surprise I'll say that.

Yeah the flip side of being so mature is that it's not as clear where he can make a large development, but he's pretty damn good already. I don't think he will be a guy that's right for every matchup. We've already seen him get the quick hook against spread teams like HOU and DAL.....but considering the success rate on guys picked after the lottery he is proving to be a huge win for us.

Yeah the flip side of being so mature is that it's not as clear where he can make a large development, but he's pretty damn good already. I don't think he will be a guy that's right for every matchup. We've already seen him get the quick hook against spread teams like HOU and DAL.....but considering the success rate on guys picked after the lottery he is proving to be a huge win for us.
Exactly... but then sometimes those guys that work and study (as he reportedly does) have surprising upsides. Bane is a guy I loved cause he could shoot the **** out of the ball but showed improvement with the ball in his hand. Thought he could be like a lights out shooter with some tertiary creation ability like Joe Ingles... didn't seem high upside but has worked his way into almost all-star status. Not a crazy athlete... doesn't have crazy physical tools... just built on his NBA skill so well.

I don't know what that would look like for a big like Kessler... I don't expect it... but a part of me will hope to be pleasantly surprised. If not he's a useful guy on a contending team or a solid starter if you don't have other good options.

I will definitely look forward to seeing more of Kessler and will watch him a bit closer. He is interesting no doubt. Cant really judge too much about him one way or the other when the sample size is 10 games and less than 15 minutes per game. I have loved what I have seen from him so far. Totally changed the entire game against atlanta.

Eh, I do think if they did a redraft, even with what little knowledge we have now, Kessler would be a lottery pick. That is all we can ask for at this point. I do know that if he improves his body he can unlock a lot more. He's nowhere close to being a finished product.

Didn’t read the whole thread, but IMO his upside is Brooke Lopez impact on offense and defense and I would be disappointed if he isn’t at least Steven Adams.

Where does Kessler rank athletically among today’s centers?

Jokic
Embiid
Gobert
Siakam
Adebayo
Allen
Sabonis
Ayton
Turner
Porzingis
Williams III
Brook Lopez
Clint Capela
Wendell Carter Jr
Poeltl
Vucevic
Valanciunas
Looney
Nurkic
Adams
Robinson
Zubac
Claxton
Sengun
Stewart
Plumlee
McGee
Damian Jones
Robinson-Earl

Walker Kessler

Jokic
Embiid
Gobert
Siakam
Adebayo
Allen
Sabonis
Ayton
Turner
Porzingis
Williams III
Brook Lopez
Clint Capela
Wendell Carter Jr

Poeltl
Vucevic
Valanciunas
Looney
Nurkic
Adams
Robinson

Zubac
Claxton

Sengun
Stewart
Plumlee
McGee
Damian Jones
Robinson-Earl

Walker Kessler
Right between Jokic and Looney.

OK, here's the big question. Who is the better player 3 years from now: James Wiseman or Kessler?

Kessler fills a slot maybe two slots. He is a drop big that you need in the NBA. And he can be a backup big for Vando, KO, Lauri. The probability that you find someone to replace him without spending near max money is low. Based on this reasoning he will be here long-term and will provide value to the team in offense and defense. If he adds more strength he becomes more valuable. I want to see if he can become a bully in the paint. He has Malone like hands let's see if he can become a bruiser and run the floor faster

Jokic
Embiid
Gobert
Siakam
Adebayo
Allen
Sabonis
Ayton
Turner
Porzingis
Williams III
Brook Lopez
Clint Capela
Wendell Carter Jr

Poeltl
Vucevic
Valanciunas
Looney
Nurkic
Adams
Robinson

Zubac
Claxton

Sengun
Stewart
Plumlee
McGee
Damian Jones
Robinson-Earl

Walker Kessler
Not too bad imo. Maybe middle of the pack or a bit lower. He just got swatted hard in the game a minute ago due to the fact that he couldn't get off the floor. It was an extremely easy block for the defender and kessler was right by the hoop with space. If someone like say, Dok, would have got the ball in that position he would have went up and dunked it on the defender and probably got fouled too.

OK, here's the big question. Who is the better player 3 years from now: James Wiseman or Kessler?
Im going with Kessler. But im a homer so take it with a grain of salt.

He needs to learn how to free throws and shoot 3 pointers at a reasonable level if he wants to survive long term. Until then, is upside is limited.