What's new

What will our division look like these coming years?

There were a couple of moves made at the trade deadline that could, and likely will, have a significant impact on our division in the coming years:

1. Portland is basically starting over. They fired their coach, and somehow got a great lottery pick for Gerald Wallace. It's obvious that they are tanking the rest of this season, so they could very well have 2 top 10 picks this coming draft. NJ taking Wallace's contract off their hands while ALSO giving them a top 10 pick is one of the worst and most desperate moves I've seen. This positions Portland greatly to reload with 2 solid players from a deep draft and they could be right back to being a good team if they play their cards right.

2. Denver realized they overpaid for Nene so they sent him to Washington in exchange for Javale McGee. I'm not sure how to feel about this. At first glance, it looks like a stupid move for Denver. But when you look at how Nene has underperformed since signing that huge contract, it makes some sense. McGee is younger, has more upside, and will likely demand less money once he hits free agency this summer. He is a complete dumba$$ but I'm sure Denver feels George Karl will be able to work with him and help him reach his potential.

OKC is not worth talking about since we all know they are and will be the class of our division for a long time.

Minnesota has a tremendous core with Love, Rubio, Derrick Williams, and Nikola Pekovic. They will be a playoff team in the future, although I don't see them reaching contender status with that team.

As for our Jazz, we have a tremendous opportunity this coming draft, especially because we didn't make any trades. There is a good chance we will have 2 lottery picks and have some interesting pieces that we could package to move up in the draft. I honestly think KOC saw all along that waiting until draft day will increase the value of guys like Harris, Jefferson (who will be a huge expiring contract), and Millsap. Although it would be nice to add 2 more solid players from the draft, we have the option of trying to package our picks with say Millsap to move up if there is a player who KOC believes has superstar potential. As of now, it may be too early to tell if there really is a big difference between pick 3 and 10. All I know is I would much rather draft a player with real star potential even if it costs us Millsap, than 2 more solid players. If we can draft Barnes and let Howard and CJ walk, our future is as bright as any team in the league, IMO.

Good thread.

Yes, OKC on top. Keep an eye on Ibaka developing as a 2-way PF.
Utah and Minny rising and competitive with one another.
I'm not sure what to think of Denver--they seem like the Atlanta Hawks of the west, good but not great.
Portland is banking on starting over with two lottery picks. So it's hard to say with them. They've had such awful luck with injuries, it's hard to judge them.

The Jazz need a bonafide star to mix in with the solid players they have put together so far. A strong PG, as we all know, and a dominant athlete/scorer on the wing would be the ticket to greatness.

You haven't read that McGee wants 14 mil per in free agency, have you sportsnut?

This to the nth degree. And even if they end up giving him just half of that, it's still overpaying imo. I actually like the way our division is shaping up...well, minus OKC of course.

This to the nth degree. And even if they end up giving him just half of that, it's still overpaying imo. I actually like the way our division is shaping up...well, minus OKC of course.

Unless Karl can get him to play to his potential, of course.. The kid has loads of talent. Not saying it's gonna happen, but there is always a chance.

Im seriously giving the Jazz one more season to "improve/go with youth movement" before I call it quits. Unless this team is serious about becoming a future contender and not a team scratching for mediocrity, I'll find a new team to root for.

Im seriously giving the Jazz one more season to "improve/go with youth movement" before I call it quits. Unless this team is serious about becoming a future contender and not a team scratching for mediocrity, I'll find a new team to root for.

Good riddance.

I'm surprised McGee sucks so bad...he's a 7'0'' with crazy athleticsm. Seems like just having him on the floor improves the defensive side of the court.
But then I saw 'aybars' video and I understand. Repped for that hillarious vid. Number 6 wasn't his fault though. In fact, John Wall should get credit for two of those plays.

I'll rep Prodigy for 10 days straight if he can do a vid like that for CJ. Thanks Prodigy for the vids!

There were a couple of moves made at the trade deadline that could, and likely will, have a significant impact on our division in the coming years:
As for our Jazz, we have a tremendous opportunity this coming draft, especially because we didn't make any trades. There is a good chance we will have 2 lottery picks and have some interesting pieces that we could package to move up in the draft. I honestly think KOC saw all along that waiting until draft day will increase the value of guys like Harris, Jefferson (who will be a huge expiring contract), and Millsap. Although it would be nice to add 2 more solid players from the draft, we have the option of trying to package our picks with say Millsap to move up if there is a player who KOC believes has superstar potential. As of now, it may be too early to tell if there really is a big difference between pick 3 and 10. All I know is I would much rather draft a player with real star potential even if it costs us Millsap, than 2 more solid players. If we can draft Barnes and let Howard and CJ walk, our future is as bright as any team in the league, IMO.

What separates this draft from most others is that you can get more than just "another role player" towards the end of the lottery. Seriously, look at who our options might be around #10: Quincy Miller, Brad Beal, Jeremy Lamb, Austin Rivers etc. Those aren't your typical end-of-the-lottery type guys.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we don't necessarily need to trade up to get a player with real star potential like you're talking about.

What separates this draft from most others is that you can get more than just "another role player" towards the end of the lottery. Seriously, look at who our options might be around #10: Quincy Miller, Brad Beal, Jeremy Lamb, Austin Rivers etc. Those aren't your typical end-of-the-lottery type guys.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we don't necessarily need to trade up to get a player with real star potential like you're talking about.

I hope you're right, but I have my doubts about that. I don't see any of the guys you mentioned as franchise players. I want Anthony Davis or Harrison Barnes at all costs. I guess we'll see what happens..

Could you imagine if Denver still had Kmart and JR Smith?

Put McGee, Kmart, and JR Smith in the uniform? Wow....

Why did Denver trade for him?

Seems to me like Nene fit in perfectly in Denver.

I hope you're right, but I have my doubts about that. I don't see any of the guys you mentioned as franchise players. I want Anthony Davis or Harrison Barnes at all costs. I guess we'll see what happens..

You don't think those guys are franchise players but you think Harrison Barnes is? The same Harrison Barnes whose strong point is shooting, but is only shooting 37% from 3 with the best point guard in the nation? The same Harrison Barnes who can't pass, steal or defend? I fart in your general direction. Barnes is good in the right situation, but by no means is he a franchise player...hell, he's not even the most important player on his college team.