What's new

What's the extent of Jerry Sloan's future involvement with Utah Jazz?

ONE LOVE

#Baby_Talk
Contributor
Just saw this article by SLC Dunks and it was somewhat interesting how involved Sloan was at the Draft Combine. Here's a snippet of the article:

In Chicago, there was the beginnings of another reunion, not of Phil Johnson and Jerry Sloan, but one of Jerry Sloan and the Utah Jazz. What was remarkable was at the NBA Draft Combine the Jazz had all hands on deck. They had almost every coach, scout, executive there. Except two: Jeff Hornecek and the tax maligned Sydney Lowe. Jeff Hornecek is target of at least two head coach vacancies: Charlotte and Philadelphia. With the prospect of at least one assistant coach gone, possibly two, next season the NBA Draft Combine offered an intriguing option.

It was at that first day of the combine when Amar and I spotted Jerry Sloan VERY engaged in the scouting of future Jazz prospects. If there are many organizations trying to hire him as their head coach why would the Jazz open up their future draft plans and free agency contingent to Sloan if they knew he would be gone in only a matter of months? Wouldn't that sacrifice their edge to other teams? It would. Which is why I do not see Sloan going any where.

Coincidentally David Aldridge of NBA.com reported that same day in which we reported Sloan being surrounded by what looked to be an army of Jazz executives and officials at the NBA Draft Combine:

He's interested (in coaching again). He's in Chicago now watching the Pre-Draft. And his name keeps popping up with every job, and he hasn't applied for anything. He had a real nice meeting with them. They came to see him on his farm. They had a great meeting just in terms of liking each other.

The bottom line is, Jerry doesn't really feel it's the right fit for him right now.

'I wish I could have stayed and watched the game with him.' It's just not the right fit for Jerry, from Jerry's point of view. That's not a negative thing; that's just the reality.

It would not surprise me in the least if Jerry Sloan was announced to be an assistant to Tyrone Corbin. Jerry asked for a veteran head coach to be his assistant. Jerry knew he needed all the help he could get. (referring to when Sloan asked Phil Johnson to be his assistant when he started out)

https://www.slcdunk.com/2013/5/22/4355462/once-a-jazzman-always-a-jazzman-jerry-sloan

So how do you guys think Sloan will be involved with the team?

- Assistant coach?
- Head coach?
- Consultant?
- Casual help?

Maybe we are using him as a Point Guard consultant. I don't know how much of a hand he had in drafting Dwill, but Sloan knows a thing or two about what makes a PG good or bad.

I would say 100% confidence that it's purely consultant work as a friend of the organization. The dude is just a bored old man looking for **** to do to get away from his wife for a day or two.

Consultant until the right job comes along. Personally, I feel this is a problem for Ty. I know no one will agree... but bringing back Sloan in ANY capacity sure seems would undermine Ty's role. I can all but guarantee Ty doesn't like it. Good.

God I hope it's as an assistant coach. I give it three months until he beats the **** out Ty. I can see it now!

God I hope it's as an assistant coach. I give it three months until he beats the **** out Ty. I can see it now!

Wouldn't be surprise if this was Lindsey's idea - bringing Sloan back.

KOC & Millers seemed to not want anything to do with Sloan, then the minute Lindsey's in charge - BAM! He's back. I can see why, Lindsey is the freshman, he doesn't have any bad blood with Sloan - so bringing him in to assist is a no-brainer. Sloan's not the type to hold a grudge neither so he's agreeable to any flexible arrangement.

I'm not in love with bringing Sloan back has HC. He has some qualities I love.. but I'd rather get a guy that's tough yet not so set in their ways.

*ducking*

It's a strange situation at the moment with:

- Hornacek looking for a HC job,

- Sloan coming back to help with scouting talent,

- KOC with 1 foot out the door

- Where's Lindsey in all of this?

These are strange times we're living in............

1. Nearly all AC's are looking for a HC job. Phil Johnson is a rare breed.
2. Sloan helping out is more of paying respects to Sloan. A HOF says that want to hang around and talk prospects, you aren't exactly going to say no. I still maintain this is more of just a hobby/killing time than actual serious scout work.
3. KOC thing was a rumor. He is still very much apart of the Utah Jazz
4.Lindsey is the GM.

Just seems strange to think of Jerry being an assistant coach to Ty. I'm sure stranger things have happened, but that just seems really awkward.

A consultant role seems to fit. Jerry can come hang out at practices, offer advice, basically be a coach but on a lighter scale. Something that he may want. Just enough to keep busy but not overwhelmed and have all the headaches that go along with being a coach.

- Randy Rigby cursing on TV?

Fixed.

rigby-damn.gif

As the article has alluded to, it just seems strange that while Sloan is in the midst of interviewing for HC jobs, he's helping us out with our drafting process, getting insights into our draft plans, FA's situations, etc.

Infinities rep to the first person to post a Corbin deal with it .gif. He's here to stay bris, better recalibrate ur hate toward CJ Burks. He's Ty's fault, u know.