What's new

What's the extent of Jerry Sloan's future involvement with Utah Jazz?

Just seems strange to think of Jerry being an assistant coach to Ty. I'm sure stranger things have happened, but that just seems really awkward.

A consultant role seems to fit. Jerry can come hang out at practices, offer advice, basically be a coach but on a lighter scale. Something that he may want. Just enough to keep busy but not overwhelmed and have all the headaches that go along with being a coach.

It's not so strange if you consider that it could be Lindsey's plan all along to bring Sloan back slowly from retirement... consider this:

1. Let Sloan help out with drafts as a "consultant" in the offseason

2. If Hornacek gets a job elsewhere, bring Sloan in as a part-time assistant. (We're already paying Ty for next year anyway). Lindsey hyped the season as "playing the young guys". Lots of hype, lots of new season ticket holders signing up.

3. Disastrous losing season, it's all Ty's fault - Ty is let go 3/4 of the way through the 13/14 season, taking with him Lowe and Sanders.

4. Sloan steps in as the white and shining armor. All is forgiven and forgotten. He's not begging us to get back into coaching - he's "doing us a favor" by stepping in for Ty.

It's not so strange if you consider that it could be Lindsey's plan all along to bring Sloan back slowly from retirement... consider this:

1. Let Sloan help out with drafts as a "consultant" in the offseason

2. If Hornacek gets a job elsewhere, bring Sloan in as a part-time assistant. (We're already paying Ty for next year anyway). Lindsey hyped the season as "playing the young guys". Lots of hype, lots of new season ticket holders signing up.

3. Disastrous losing season, it's all Ty's fault - Ty is let go 3/4 of the way through the 13/14 season, taking with him Lowe and Sanders.

4. Sloan steps in as the white and shining armor. All is forgiven and forgotten. He's not begging us to get back into coaching - he's "doing us a favor" by stepping in for Ty.

Where are you from? Do they have colloquialisms there? It's knight in shining armor. Lol. You said something the other day like this too. Can't remember what it was but it was funny. You are a riot. Not a riot in a pgab kind of way though. That guy is crazy.

Where are you from? Do they have colloquialisms there? It's knight in shining armor. Lol. You said something the other day like this too. Can't remember what it was but it was funny. You are a riot. Not a riot in a pgab kind of way though. That guy is crazy.

LOL.. it's no secret I'm not good with typos. Please can we all focus on the topic at hand rather than these typos?

LOL.. it's no secret I'm not good with typos. Please can we all focus on the topic at hand rather than these typos?

No!! I can't stop thinking about how your name is hot KKK and you called Jerry Sloan a knight in white and shiny armor! Haha.

In seriousness though, I can't understand what Jerry is doing here other than shooting for a godfather/pat Riley role with the jazz.

No!! I can't stop thinking about how your name is hot KKK and you called Jerry Sloan a knight in white and shiny armor! Haha.

In seriousness though, I can't understand what Jerry is doing here other than shooting for a godfather/pat Riley role with the jazz.

Well I also listened to Amar's interview/podcast, and apparently Sloan was pulling guys in and out of drills, very actively involved in what they were doing. He mentioned the Jazz sorta used the Combine as their own personal workout - directing action at will. Anyone else heard something similar may be from an inside source?

Sloan definitely wasn't just "being there" for the sake of "being there".

I can't believe anyone on the planet thinks Jerry would become an assistant to Ty. It would not work for either one of them.

I don't think Sloan would ever serve as an actual assistant to Ty Corbin. A mentor, a consultant, etc., definitely yes. If anything, I wish Phil Johnson would come back as the lead assistant coach. He is obviously a great #2, a brilliant basketball mind, and is terrible in the broadcast booth. As a consultant, I think Jerry's first job should be to convince Phil to return to the sidelines and to convince Ty to want Phil there. After all, if Phil Johnson wasn't so loyal to Jerry, Phil would have probably been the interim head coach when Jerry resigned.

My inside info is that Sloan will be hired on as a consultant that will do post game interviews for Corbin. This will ensure 1- that we have good drops and quotes and 2- that Corbin doesn't say something stupid about the fans or players.

Win-Win

Very, very doubtful Sloan would come back with Corbin as the HC. Just not a comfortable position for either. Sloan is likely a consultant, but I would think nothing short of KOC and Corbin both leaving would allow him to return to the organization in a managerial role. I doubt Jerry is really interested in coaching. He dangles his feet in the water, but then pulls them back out. Perhaps the only ideal situation for him would be the Clippers. They have a great PG/PF combination and are contenders. If LA is smart, Jackson is choice A and Sloan is B.

Very, very doubtful Sloan would come back with Corbin as the HC. Just not a comfortable position for either. Sloan is likely a consultant, but I would think nothing short of KOC and Corbin both leaving would allow him to return to the organization in a managerial role. I doubt Jerry is really interested in coaching. He dangles his feet in the water, but then pulls them back out. Perhaps the only ideal situation for him would be the Clippers. They have a great PG/PF combination and are contenders. If LA is smart, Jackson is choice A and Sloan is B.

The Clips already said Jackson is out because of his relationship with Jennie Buss from the Lakers.

Find your own link, I'm too lazy.

I don't think Sloan would ever serve as an actual assistant to Ty Corbin. A mentor, a consultant, etc., definitely yes. If anything, I wish Phil Johnson would come back as the lead assistant coach. He is obviously a great #2, a brilliant basketball mind, and is terrible in the broadcast booth. As a consultant, I think Jerry's first job should be to convince Phil to return to the sidelines and to convince Ty to want Phil there. After all, if Phil Johnson wasn't so loyal to Jerry, Phil would have probably been the interim head coach when Jerry resigned.

This is a good point. May be Sloan will be hired as a "mentor" to the coaches, overseeing how they do things, etc. May be give him the title of "High Performance Co-ordinator/Advisor" or something like that. Ty is already calling up Sloan on a regular basis to ask about how to run offense/defense, etc, so this makes sense to me because:

1. Sloan doesn't have to be on the bench ALL THE TIME - he can simply foresee how things are done and give advice

2. It saves Ty's face - he can still be "the man" among his assistants in-game

3. If Ty has a disastrous season in his last year of contract, Sloan is in position to step right in. (could this be Lindsey's plan all along?)

Whether this is a real possibility or not I see it as one of the better ways Sloan can be involved without stepping on anyone's shoes, not having to do too much, still letting everyone else do their jobs.

I'm not in love with bringing Sloan back has HC. He has some qualities I love.. but I'd rather get a guy that's tough yet not so set in their ways.

*ducking*

No reason to duck, you're 100% correct. Sloan had his day but the game has passed him by - we're talking about a guy who once bragged he's never been on a computer in his life. Jazz need to find a young Vogel/Thibodeau/Carlisle type. Easier said than done; but going backwards is not the answer.

No reason to duck, you're 100% correct. Sloan had his day but the game has passed him by - we're talking about a guy who once bragged he's never been on a computer in his life. Jazz need to find a young Vogel/Thibodeau/Carlisle type. Easier said than done; but going backwards is not the answer.

Exactly. And it's certainly not impossible.

Consultant until the right job comes along. Personally, I feel this is a problem for Ty. I know no one will agree... but bringing back Sloan in ANY capacity sure seems would undermine Ty's role. I can all but guarantee Ty doesn't like it. Good.

Not agree??? Of course it would undermine Ty. But coming in as a consultant could work. He could wait in the locker room with a sap and hand out post-game encouragement to the players and coaches who deserved it. I think within a few weeks we would see a huge improvement in team performance if we hired Sloan as a motivational consultant.