What's new

What's The Last Movie You’ve Seen?

By far the best historical production on WW1 that I had the befit of happening across was the Blueprint for Armageddon series by Dan Carlin. For a long time he had it available for free on his website but now it looks like he's charging $15 for it.
I’ll take a look at this. I have a basic understanding of WW1 and I’m interested in learning more. Thanks for the suggested content.

Watched Nope. I liked it but I really felt the running time, this is a slow movie. I remember reading that the chimpanzee sequence came from one of Jordan Peele's dream, thats pretty wild. One of the stronger scenes from the film, I enjoyed Steven Yeun's characther arc im this. There are some really great scenes and the creativity on display is enjoyable, I just dont know if it all quite comes together for me but I did enjoy it a lot more than 'Us'.

I watched Thor love and Thunder and thought it was great. Very funny. The goats were hilarious and Thor's sidekick (dude make of rock) is so funny. Good fight scenes, good villain (took me forever to figure out who played the villain), some decent emotion to it. Loved the scene in the palace of the Gods or whatever when thor killed zeus. The farewell scene between thor and star lord was hilarious. Just good fun all around. I almost always love the marvel/avengers movies.

Watching the new Hellraiser movie now. Almost halfway through and its pretty good so far.

Man there is a real dearth of good movies in theaters right now. Of course I think we have been in a lull for a while. Even the ones I have been able to go see weren't all that great. Went to see the Avatar sequel, found it very meh, the story derivative, the SFX GORGEOUS beyond description. A technical tour de force and a plot failure. Again the white hero saves yet another group of natives, but of course one he needlessly put in danger in the first place. Like he has learned NOTHING during the intervening years. They stripped all the power of the toruk makto or whatever he was in the first movie (you know, the Jesus white savior role), and still had just him in the final fights. I don't want to give too many spoilers so I will just say the "villain", if you can call him that, was a supreme dud. How non-creative and carbon-copy can you be about the whole thing. Really it boils down to a fish out of water (see what I did there?) comes to appreciate a native group, then defends them from the white incursion. You know, Dances with Wol...uh, I mean Avatar...uh, with the way of water added on the end of the title. They could have just kept the last title because it was literally the first movie with different scenery complete with completely implausible resurrections. Yeah, now that I think about it more, it is less a meh and more just a dud. If you go see it, do it for the ground-breaking special effects and just wear earplugs and pretend it is a documentary of alien life. During the "action" scenes go to the bathroom and get some snacks. You won't miss anything. Everyone is exactly the same again in the end anyway, no one grew or changed. It is all like a sitcom, re-setting for the next episode. Blech.

Man there is a real dearth of good movies in theaters right now. Of course I think we have been in a lull for a while. Even the ones I have been able to go see weren't all that great. Went to see the Avatar sequel, found it very meh, the story derivative, the SFX GORGEOUS beyond description. A technical tour de force and a plot failure. Again the white hero saves yet another group of natives, but of course one he needlessly put in danger in the first place. Like he has learned NOTHING during the intervening years. They stripped all the power of the toruk makto or whatever he was in the first movie (you know, the Jesus white savior role), and still had just him in the final fights. I don't want to give too many spoilers so I will just say the "villain", if you can call him that, was a supreme dud. How non-creative and carbon-copy can you be about the whole thing. Really it boils down to a fish out of water (see what I did there?) comes to appreciate a native group, then defends them from the white incursion. You know, Dances with Wol...uh, I mean Avatar...uh, with the way of water added on the end of the title. They could have just kept the last title because it was literally the first movie with different scenery complete with completely implausible resurrections. Yeah, now that I think about it more, it is less a meh and more just a dud. If you go see it, do it for the ground-breaking special effects and just wear earplugs and pretend it is a documentary of alien life. During the "action" scenes go to the bathroom and get some snacks. You won't miss anything. Everyone is exactly the same again in the end anyway, no one grew or changed. It is all like a sitcom, re-setting for the next episode. Blech.
I liked some of the actors - Cliff Curtis is one of my favorites, and of course Jemaine. I liked the Maori elements - my wife is part Maori, so I caught a lot of it.

I just hope the lead actor doesn't think, at any point, that he is in any way responsible for the success of the movies. Because he's really not.

I liked some of the actors - Cliff Curtis is one of my favorites, and of course Jemaine. I liked the Maori elements - my wife is part Maori, so I caught a lot of it.

I just hope the lead actor doesn't think, at any point, that he is in any way responsible for the success of the movies. Because he's really not.
Yeah he is actively bad. Not sure how they ever got to him. I heard they wanted like Chris Evans or Channing Tatum in that role, but I think they both turned it down or something, and so did Matt Damon, as he was in the middle of the Bourne stuff. Oh what might have been. Instead we get "Mr. Charisma". Ugh.

Yeah he is actively bad. Not sure how they ever got to him. I heard they wanted like Chris Evans or Channing Tatum in that role, but I think they both turned it down or something, and so did Matt Damon, as he was in the middle of the Bourne stuff. Oh what might have been. Instead we get "Mr. Charisma". Ugh.
Wasn't he in one of the super bad Terminator movies - Salvation? Genesis?

My point is that it could have been you or me in that role, it really wouldn't have mattered.

Screenshot-20230801-144715-Chrome.jpg

Wondering if any of our new Finnish friends saw this one. Pretty wild, entertaining 90 minutes that flies by. Man is like Finnish John Wick. It definitely tests the level of believability as it goes along, I know you have to build up the legend, but man!

In the theater right now to watch Barbie. Gotta complete the Barbenheimer experience.
Well it was kind of meh for me. Pretty heavy-handed railing against the patriarchy. The underlying tone, as it came across to both me and my wife, is that in order to lift women up, we need to knock men down. I don't believe in that. I think we can lift all of us up. The idea that to elevate one group we have to knock down another group feels hostile and just wrong. Overall I enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would, and the end message was really that you can become what you want to become, you don't have to follow any pre-ordained path. That was good. Overall probably give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Well it was kind of meh for me. Pretty heavy-handed railing against the patriarchy. The underlying tone, as it came across to both me and my wife, is that in order to lift women up, we need to knock men down. I don't believe in that. I think we can lift all of us up. The idea that to elevate one group we have to knock down another group feels hostile and just wrong. Overall I enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would, and the end message was really that you can become what you want to become, you don't have to follow any pre-ordained path. That was good. Overall probably give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.
Haven't seen it yet but this seems like a good summary of things I have heard/read

Haven't seen it yet but this seems like a good summary of things I have heard/read
It's entertaining enough. But also stupid like most Will Farrell movies. He's just a bumbling idiot in this one.

My wife is probably planning to overthrow me as I type this.

I didn't see the message the same way as LogGrad. Men as a whole do not need to be knocked down, but the behavior of many needs changing before equality can be achieved. Any man is capable of treating women as equals, but many fail. Every woman alive can tell the stories.

The movie did a decent job of showing that, even if some of it was silly (like any scene Will Farrell was in).