What's new

When will the Jazz learn how to play on the road?

Xsy

Our road record this last season was sort of atrocious. Okay, it wasn't 'sort of' atrocious, it was downright atrocious.

Not only was Utah the worst road team in the playoffs, but there were five non-playoff teams who were better on the road than we were. Phoenix, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Houston, and frickin' New Jersey did better than we did.

Utah's road record tied with Golden State's at 11-22-- and they basically tried to lose for the majority of the season. Imagine if Utah won just 3 more road games. That would have been good enough to put Utah at the 6th seed.

I feel like with our team maturing, and beginning to realize they can compete in this league, our road record is bound to improve. I really hope we see some improvement.

I still have nightmares about that game in New Orleans.

6a00e5505fc4968834010536e09336970b-800wi.jpeg

Perhaps we get more calls at home?
I've often wondered about the huge disparity. I know teams should be better at home, but Utah has always been much better. Historically one of the best home records and even in very good seasons, it seems the Jazz are just a few wins over .500 on the road.

I think it's only natural that there's a dark-side to having such a great homecourt advantage.

However to answer your question, I think the answer is simple and will simply happen or it won't: When the team is mature. Maturity isn't an age, it's a mentality. They're related, but I'm sure at least three of The Four are more mature than Allen Iverson, for example.

Tangent: I don't think the Deron/Boozer teams were particularly mature. As much as I think Derek Fisher is one of the biggest snakes to ever play in the league, he brought the single-minded focus on winning that the team needed (despite being of questionable character outside of his will to win and a crappy player when he was on the team).

Young team.

EDIT: looks like NUMBy beat me to it, while elaborating much more in depth. In essence, road-woes are common with most younger teams, and it is something that only more-experienced squads tend to handle with consistency.