What's new

Where would these guys go in a normal draft?

Kanter, Valanciunas, Knight. That second tier below Dwill2.0 and Irving. Where would they go in an average draft with guys like Favors and Wall in the top 3. I'm trying to convince myself that atleast one of them could end up a perennial all star type player, but I'm having a hard time doing so. I see starters at best with all these guys.

I honestly believe that Knight, Kanter, D-Will, and Irving would be really high picks in any normal draft. It's the dropoff after those guys where this draft sucks.

Knight could go as early as #4 like Russell Westbrook did, which surprised people or he could go as late as #17 like Jrue Holiday did. I think Jrue is actually a fair comparison for Knight, but the 2009 draft was much stronger as Holiday would be a top 10 pick in this draft.

I honestly believe that Knight, Kanter, D-Will, and Irving would be really high picks in any normal draft. It's the dropoff after those guys where this draft sucks.

I see it as just the opposite. There isn't much to separate those 4 from the next several guys. All have huge question marks. What this draft lacks is a couple of bonafide superstars, like a Rose, Wall, CP3, Deron.

I think the depth in the draft is just as good as last year. At #12, we're debating about the same types of players we did last year when we had the #9. Guys like Hayward, George, Henry, Patterson, Babbitt, etc. That's not much of a difference from Burks, Singleton, Fredette, the Morris twins, etc.

Last year there were 5 legitimate top picks and a preceived drop-off after that. This year there are perhaps two and even Irving and Williams are risks.

I see it as just the opposite. There isn't much to separate those 4 from the next several guys. All have huge question marks. What this draft lacks is a couple of bonafide superstars, like a Rose, Wall, CP3, Deron.

I think the depth in the draft is just as good as last year. At #12, we're debating about the same types of players we did last year when we had the #9. Guys like Hayward, George, Henry, Patterson, Babbitt, etc. That's not much of a difference from Burks, Singleton, Fredette, the Morris twins, etc.

Last year there were 5 legitimate top picks and a preceived drop-off after that. This year there are perhaps two and even Irving and Williams are risks.

Most drafts only have 1 bonafide superstar and he's usually picked number one. The fact that there isn't a sure thing isn't strange.

Valanciunas would still be top 10, like Andris Biedrins was. Valanciunas is the better prospect.

Kanter would probably still be top 6, certainly better than Rafael Araujo (who was drafted at #8) and certainly no worse than Chris Mihm (who was drafted #6).

Derrick Williams is a top 4 pick in virtually any draft, a spot better than Chris Bosh who went #5 in the year of Lebron/Darko/Carmelo/Wade.

Knight might be tougher to predict, but he would still be around #3 - #5, like Devin Harris, or no later than #7, where Eric Gordon and Randy Foye were picked.

I don't think this is such a weak draft.

Knight would still go top 5 IMO. There's too much hype with this kid.
Kanter & Valaniunas would be late lottery picks the 10-14 range

Most drafts only have 1 bonafide superstar and he's usually picked number one. The fact that there isn't a sure thing isn't strange.

Maybe "superstar" is an overstatement, but there are generally 4-6 players everyone is excited about, or can agree have potential way above the rest. Last season, there was no question who the top-5 would be. The previous several years I think you had the same thing. In my opinion, the parallel to Kanter might be Thabeet in terms of the hype going in. Thabeet was all about potential, as is Kanter. I just don't think Irving and Williams are comparable talents to any of the first two picks in recent drafts. But the mid-lottery through mid-1st is about the same. There are starters and decent backups to be had throughout.

There were some doubts about Evan Turner last year, namely, whether his game would translate well to the pros.

People were questioning Wesley Johnson as a top lotto pick for being 23 yrs. old already.

Demarcus Cousins had question marks for being out of shape, mentally and physically.

Really, only Wall and Favors were regarded as risk-free prospects last year.

Also, I think a lot of people would say that Irving is as solid a prospect as John Wall. Wall is a jet, but he isn't a complete point guard yet, and he's just a so-so shooter.

Also, I think a lot of people would say that Irving is as solid a prospect as John Wall. Wall is a jet, but he isn't a complete point guard yet, and he's just a so-so shooter.

ummm .. except for that one .. show me one (1) person that projects Irving at Wall.

ummm .. except for that one .. show me one (1) person that projects Irving at Wall.

You're making me work a bit here...

David Thorpe: Irving...is a heady point guard who's fundamentally sound. He's a vocal floor leader who uses a quick first step to penetrate. He also has a solid jump shot that can stretch defenses. While he doesn't have the elite speed of a player like Wall or Rajon Rondo, he's a more sophisticated scorer than those two were at this point.

Jonathan Givony: He is a complete offensive player at the age of 18... Now, he's not quite as athletic as Derrick Rose or John Rose, but is more advanced... This guy is a sure-fire NBA star and a player you can build a team around. (Source: SI Podcast with Jonathan Givony, https://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/p.../2011/03/17/031711.nba_shootaround_givony.mp3)

You're making me work a bit here...

David Thorpe: Irving...is a heady point guard who's fundamentally sound. He's a vocal floor leader who uses a quick first step to penetrate. He also has a solid jump shot that can stretch defenses. While he doesn't have the elite speed of a player like Wall or Rajon Rondo, he's a more sophisticated scorer than those two were at this point.

Jonathan Givony: He is a complete offensive player at the age of 18... Now, he's not quite as athletic as Derrick Rose or John Rose, but is more advanced... This guy is a sure-fire NBA star and a player you can build a team around. (Source: SI Podcast with Jonathan Givony, https://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/p.../2011/03/17/031711.nba_shootaround_givony.mp3)

Cool. I would take Irving #1 everyday of the week .. I'm higher than most anyone on the kid .. he's special. No John Wall. John Wall will prove to be an "All-Time" great ... most agree there's no comparison. Having said that, Irving will be an all-star.