What's new

Which direction do you want the team to go the rest of the season?

Do you want the jazz to go for wins or loses the rest of the year?

• I'm not a Jazz fan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ron Mexico

Contributor
So we're a little past half way through the season. We're sitting at #6 in the west. But it's very close a couple games either direction would make a big difference from home court to lottery. Do you want the Jazz to lose and most likely to do that trade players away who help us win? Or do you want to try to win more and with that look at trades to make us better now?

Personally I think we have a solid all star maybe even all NBA player in Lauri. We have a lot of solid players behind him and more picks than we know what to do with. The west is the weakest it's ever been and it's pretty open. Let's make a push for the playoffs now. We can trade for guys that improve us, but only guys that are still young enough to grow with the team. I could go with the tank if its trading guys over 30 and then try to win big next year as well. But we probably still win at around .500. Either way this team is set up nice and it's great we have options.

I'm gonna be honest that I jumped to "win or lose, our future is bright either way" section a while ago... but since thats not an option and I have to choose between win or lose then its easy:

Win.

Shortlist of reasons:
1) We want to see how Lauri, Kessler and the others handle the heat when its cranked up
2) We want to cause as much havoc in the west as possible which will create new tanking teams and trade opportunities
3) Hardy has obviously already built a great locker room culture. We work hard, share the ball, never cave in or stop believing... lets hang on to that

I've been for tanking all season.

But after tonight's game it's clear we're too good to be bad - we're sitting at 7th in the West even after all the moves we've made.

Let's go for it.

Let's make the playoffs and make some noise and have some fun!

We've basically struck it lucky with Kessler anyway so it's like we've already gotten top 5 pick.. LOL ..

So let's ****ing go and let's see how far we can go!!!

I agree with going for win. I start the season thinking that he will be much more smart to tank and make a run for Victor but we are just too good. This team deserve to go into PO and they will make noise. I am now hoping that DA will make some magic and that we may have a better team after the deadline. Whatever the result, i did have fun to look all season, more than the last 2 years.

Jazz can't be bad enough to get into the top of the lottery so **** it just go win.

I started the year on team, "get the best odds possible of landing a priority draft selection position." Then when we started beating good teams regularly I transitioned to team, "losing sucks/bring on the wins." Then after we had multiple losing streaks I've settled in at, just enjoy the entertainment, win or lose.

I have to say, not caring about winning or losing has it's advantages and disadvantages. I've never slept so good during the season since moving to EST. I'm also a lot less engaged, which is actually an overall positive for my life.

Im gonna start by saying i dont care what they do. This is the season of win win #itsALLgood.
We have really good really young really cheap players, tons of picks, a great rookie head coach and the best GM in the league. Every scenario is the right scenario.

I do believe that there is an ideal scenario that is unlikely but also possible. That scenario is trading the vets for players and picks that make our amazing future even more amazing AND not losing any more games due to trading them. Thats the ideal scenario imo. Get better for the future while not getting worse in the present.

Our young guys(and coach) just might be good enough to make that scenario a reality.

But as i said, i dont really care what the jazz front office chooses to do. They have been killing it on the rebuild and i trust that whatever they do from here on out will work out fantastically

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

They should be losing.

Even if you up can't get into the top 6, 7-14 is probably a decent amount better than 15-19.

Jazz still need a lot more on their team. Team is going to somewhat fall apart when Conley is done. Clarkson might leave, that's another talent hole to replace. KO is going to be done before too long, another talent gap to replace. JV could leave after next year, etc. This is not a team deep with long term potential as is. Need some higher draft picks

They should be losing.

Even if you up can't get into the top 6, 7-14 is probably a decent amount better than 15-19.

Jazz still need a lot more on their team. Team is going to somewhat fall apart when Conley is done. Clarkson might leave, that's another talent hole to replace. KO is going to be done before too long, another talent gap to replace. JV could leave after next year, etc. This is not a team deep with long term potential as is. Need some higher draft picks
I don't share your pessimism.

Let's not get fooled by Conley having one great game in 10. He's essentially sucked since he returned from injury and mostly looks like he doesn't move the needle anymore.

What's important is this: I feel like we've turned some corner in these recent games. I didn't really expect it to happen, but the team feels... different now. The emergence of Kessler and Ochai, KO being out, Lauri establishing himself as the clear #1 option, Sexton being healthy, Clarkson taking a backseat more than usual... I dunno. It doesn't feel like this team is led by the older veterans anymore - not like it was to start the season. On a mental level, it's led by the young guys now, which is what we want.

Just a month ago it often felt like JC was the heart and soul of this team. Now it looks like the youngins are playing their own game more and more, taking responsibility, and Clarkson is realizing he's more of an elder statesman who needs to support them when they need it, not be in the limelight all the time.

I want us to go for it. We have several important future pieces getting invaluable experience right now. Knowing how to win is more important than anything in this league.

Look at Houston. Tons of youth, tons of talent, and absolutely no idea how to win. These things don't just fix themselves in the NBA. The clock keeps ticking and suddenly you have to decide if you're going to max two guys who have never won in their NBA lives. We don't want to be in that situation.

Last edited:
I do believe that there is an ideal scenario that is unlikely but also possible. That scenario is trading the vets for players and picks that make our amazing future even more amazing AND not losing any more games due to trading them. Thats the ideal scenario imo. Get better for the future while not getting worse in the present.
I think that's very possible and the direction I would like the most. Trade our older guys and guys that the team doesn't think are part of our future for younger guys with upside or at least fit well. We can use a few picks to make it happen if we need. We still have a ton of picks to fill out the roster and hope for huge upside guys and/or blockbuster trade.

It’s more complicated than just direction. I have no doubt that long term the best thing would be to have our pick land top ten with a shot at Wemby.

What I’d like to see is us move Beasley KO and Vando for the best draft comp and young prospects available. If you continue to fight your way to the play in through Lauri, JC, Kessler, Mike, and Collin then so be it. Manage some minutes so Conley is at least healthy at year end but you can’t ask the coach and players to tank… it’s on the front office to remove some options so the coaches are forced to rely on the young guys in a good chunk of minutes. With Kessler and Lauri constantly leveling up I just don’t see us falling without a bad injury… something I would not want.

The extra draft capital can give us another bite at the apple or some ammo to move up… also frees up development time for a few guys. So it’s not a direction per se… it’s complicated.

I see 4 separate bad takes in few lines of text. Must be a record.

Gonna fall apart after Conley - bad take #1 - Our record without Conley 5-7, and that came before Lauri was annointed as the #1 guy and Kessler was playing 15 minutes against 2nd string guys. It was the JC/Beasley show.
KO leaving a talent gap - bad take #2 - Our record without KO 6-3 including 4-2 vs 2x CLE, PHI, MIN, LAC, WAS.
Not a deep team - bad take #3 - Then why do we win and/or play close even with KO, Lauri and Sexton all out against teams like Philly and Wolves?
No long term potential - bad take #4 - Our top 3 players are 21, 25 and 30 years old. Vando, Ochai, THT, Sexton, NAW... all young and contributing.

This is how crazy the NBA has been this year:
If we win those two insane last second finish games vs the Kings and all other results stay the same... we would be the 4th seed right now.

They should be losing.

Maybe the team will surprise if conley isn't there. As Tremendous Upside said, conley has sucked in a lot of games this season. Plus I remember you saying something about how important KO is to the jazz but we seem to be just fine without him. Maybe you will be wrong about a conley-less jazz too.

This team isnt tanking and has never attempted to do so. I dont see us stockpiling more picks unless they are this year and next year. If we trade, we trade for young/proven talent and immediate picks. I dont think we move JC and I think he is back next year. Smith wants him for more than basketball reasons. It wouldn't surprise me if we turn down decent offers for Mike. If Mike gets traded we will be getting a lot back in return. Even when he is not scoring he keeps the team together with the way he runs the offense and what he teaches the young guys is worth a lot to Hardy.

This team isnt tanking and has never attempted to do so. I dont see us stockpiling more picks unless they are this year and next year. If we trade, we trade for young/proven talent and immediate picks. I dont think we move JC and I think he is back next year. Smith wants him for more than basketball reasons. It wouldn't surprise me if we turn down decent offers for Mike. If Mike gets traded we will be getting a lot back in return. Even when he is not scoring he keeps the team together with the way he runs the offense and what he teaches the young guys is worth a lot to Hardy.
Pretty much most of the points I've been shouting at the clouds. Except I used 10000 words to make them and you used 100 or so.