What's new

Who are you voting for? (Poll)

Who are you voting for? (Please only vote if you’re actually voting)

• Huntsman

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Cox

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Wright

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hughes

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Not voting/show results

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

oneye

2018 Award Winner
I ran this poll earlier and didn’t get much for results. Primary ballots are in the mail. What candidate are you voting for if you are voting in the Republican primary for Utah Governor?

I cant vote cause im unafilliated. Seems like being an american all my life and working and paying taxes steadily for the last 25 years would qualify me to vote. Nope. Stupid 2 party system wants to force everyone to take a side, choose a team to root for, and divide us as much as possible.

I cant vote cause im unafilliated. Seems like being an american all my life and working and paying taxes steadily for the last 25 years would qualify me to vote. Nope. Stupid 2 party system wants to force everyone to take a side, choose a team to root for, and divide us as much as possible.
You are able to switch until the 19th and can switch back after. I switched affiliation to stop Hughes, he’s terrible. Who out of them would you prefer? This primary essentially is the election lol, have your voice heard!

Last edited:
hate to break it to you but voting is a complete waste of everyones time/$$$ on all ends of the equation. You'd be better off spending time listening to your rice krispies go snap crackle and pop.

hate to break it to you but voting is a complete waste of everyones time/$$$ on all ends of the equation. You'd be better off spending time listening to your rice krispies go snap crackle and pop.
Not when someone like Hughes is running.

I'm not voting as I'm unaffiliated and will not change (I'm stubborn), but if I was voting I would vote for Cox. Second choice would be Huntsman. Third choice would be Wright. I would not vote for Hughes for any reason whatsoever, and if he wins in a close election, I will sincerely apologize for my misguided morals and move out of the state as a punishment.

I'm not voting as I'm unaffiliated and will not change (I'm stubborn), but if I was voting I would vote for Cox. Second choice would be Huntsman. Third choice would be Wright. I would not vote for Hughes for any reason whatsoever, and if he wins in a close election, I will sincerely apologize for my misguided morals and move out of the state as a punishment.
This Governors primary means so much though lol. I voted for Huntsman, he has some endorsements Cox does not that I feel show some groups feel Huntsman is the better bet for change than Cox, but Cox is a good candidate as well.

I’ve switched parties many times to vote in the primaries.

primary affiliation is meaningless. It just lets you vote in whatever primary you like. You can affiliate republican, vote, and the next day affiliate dem or independent or communist.

primary affiliation is meaningless. It just lets you vote in whatever primary you like. You can affiliate republican, vote, and the next day affiliate dem or independent or communist.
For the moment. The party that already has all the power doesn't like people doing this and is apparently planning to change it.

I was a registered Republican up until they closed the primaries 20 years or so ago. I didn't like the move and don't play the game of switching around.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

For the moment. The party that already has all the power doesn't like people doing this and is apparently planning to change it.

I was a registered Republican up until they closed the primaries 20 years or so ago. I didn't like the move and don't play the game of switching around.

I’m curious: Why are you concerned if the party likes you?

You think you ought to be allowed to vote in both party elections and then the general election? If you could do that does it occur to you that voting for the weakest candidate in the party you don't like would be a common strategy. Since there are more republicans than democrats in Utah the system you propose would be devastating for the democratic party.

You think you ought to be allowed to vote in both party elections and then the general election? If you could do that does it occur to you that voting for the weakest candidate in the party you don't like would be a common strategy. Since there are more republicans than democrats in Utah the system you propose would be devastating for the democratic party.
Nah. I'm an American. Not a Democrat or Republican. Why would I vote for who I thought was a bad candidate? I want the most and best possible candidates and in the end I want the very best from that pool.
To vote for someone you think sucks out of spite for a particular party is stupid and un-american.

I definitely think i should be able to vote in both primaries and from what I have read in this thread I can. I just have to declare that I a republican for a short time, vote, then declare I'm a Democrat for a short time, vote, then go back to being unaffiliated.
So your scenario that you are worried about may already be happening as there is nothing to prevent it. I prefer making it easier to vote rather than harder.

What's stopping Republicans right now from doing what you claim and devastating the Democratic party?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Nah. I'm an American. Not a Democrat or Republican. Why would I vote for who I thought was a bad candidate? I want the most and best possible candidates and in the end I want the very best from that pool.
To vote for someone you think sucks out of spite for a particular party is stupid and un-american.

I definitely think i should be able to vote in both primaries and from what I have read in this thread I can. I just have to declare that I a republican for a short time, vote, then declare I'm a Democrat for a short time, vote, then go back to being unaffiliated.
So your scenario that you are worried about may already be happening as there is nothing to prevent it. I prefer making it easier to vote rather than harder.

What's stopping Republicans right now from doing what you claim and devastating the Democratic party?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
Usually when there are primaries for both parties they are on the same day, so you cannot vote in multiple primaries (it is theoretically possible that there could even be more than two primaries in the same election). The winner of each primary goes to the general election where everyone can vote regardless of party affiliation. Although you might be ethical enough not to sabotage another parties primary, the unfortunate fact is that not everyone lives by your standards. I get that you think the party system is bad, and to some extent I agree, but if parties were abolished I can practically guarantee you that candidates and voters would very quickly align into party like structures. Those who didn't would be rendered essentially irrelevant by those who did because the party people would form large and powerful voting blocks in the process. It's the nature of the beast.

Last edited:

Why do you hate Hughes? I know nothing about him. I just know his kids look inbred and thats a good enough reason for me not to vote for him.

He's corrupt, more than the average politician. He's had numerous scandals, and he gets through them because he has friends in high places. He is heavily playing the Trump card and is obviously catering to one group of supporters and, like Trump, will only care about his base. I prefer someone who understands he is the governor of the entire state.