What's new

Who do you use for your Internet - and why?

leftyjace

Just curious.

I'm getting ready to cut the cable on... well... cable. Comcast/XFINITY has had my business for a long time, but I wonder what else is out there for good, solid, fast, reliable internet.

Does anyone use Vivint Wireless? Advantages/Disadvandages?

I have been thinking of making the chance too. I'm with Comcast/infinity as well and I think their product is great but it's too expensive and I'm trying to cut down on my monthly bills

That's what I did and got a price that pretty much matched directTV. No need to mess with switching.

Jesus suckers, call Comcast, tell them you want to cancel, the CS rep will ask why, and you tell them because you have an offer from a competitor that is simply far better and saves you a lot monthly, and they'll ask well would you want to stay if we can bring your price down, and you say yes, and they'll put you on hold and come back with a far cheaper price...90% of the time...maybe by as much as $50-60/month.

If you're looking at ditching it completely I understand the question. If not, do what they just said.
I don't have pay tv. I use Rise Broadband (formerly Digis). I use them because back when I started, they didn't do contracts. Now they do. They have a tiered price system. I got a middle one and pay roughly $50/month. I've never had any problems with them.
Vivint came out and offered a 30 day free trial with free installation this past summer and we gave them a try. Overall, I was happy with what they offered, but I didn't stay with them. For roughly the same plan, I think they would have been slightly more money, but they wanted a contract. Neighbors who were with them said they experienced great service all around until the free trial ended and they were locked into the contract. Vivint blamed it on overloaded hubs and said they were putting in more hubs. I honestly don't know of things have improved.

I have comcrap. Wish all the nba games were in HD. But love my internet. Pay for 105mbps and get 190. Pay $120 for cable/net with all movie channels and am locked in for 2 years.

I have comcrap. Wish all the nba games were in HD. But love my internet. Pay for 105mbps and get 190. Pay $120 for cable/net with all movie channels and am locked in for 2 years.

Got that beat. We pay about $230 for Verizon Fios with their fastest high-speed internet for residential (not sure what it is), cable (all the channels like you), a home phone line (I don't want it but we have to have it for our security system), and two cell phones both with unlimited data or whatevs.

Got that beat. We pay about $230 for Verizon Fios with their fastest high-speed internet for residential (not sure what it is), cable (all the channels like you), a home phone line (I don't want it but we have to have it for our security system), and two cell phones both with unlimited data or whatevs.

We have 5 cell phones with unlimited data for $120, grandfathered in plus a 10% academic discount. I also get NBALP for free. Plus I have a laptop with lte (5gb) for an extra $10 a month. Comcast offered me the same price with home phone and I turned it down. Didnt want the hassle of extra equipment and having to cancel it after the 2 year period. Google fiber would be awesome, but no NBALP.

I keep seeing this thread and misreading "what do you use the Internet for, and why?"

A thread like that could go south in a hurry.

I met this older chick who lives next door and has great internet service that reaches my place. Anyway, I ended up banging her once just so I could get her password, and now my internet is free! So that's who I use.

I met this older chick who lives next door and has great internet service that reaches my place. Anyway, I ended up banging her once just so I could get her password, and now my internet is free! So that's who I use.

You net whore.

I keep seeing this thread and misreading "what do you use the Internet for, and why?"

I'm wondering what sort of answer to the "why" part of the question you might expect.