What's new

Who have you been most wrong about?

Conley - about what I expected.

Clarkson - way wrong about him. His assists is the biggest surprise. His playing team ball and being a leader. Wow! still not sure he fits our future.

Markkanen - I figured he would be better but after watching him in FIBA I knew he was breaking out but not this good.

Vando - about what I expected but his shooting has been a breath of fresh air. I love his attitude

Olynyk - I thought he was not good but has fit this roster perfectly. Very wrong here.

Sexton - is about what I expected. Surprised he is coming off the bench and playing as well as he is.

Beasley - surprised he has not been scoring as well but getting what I expect from his shooting.

THT - didnt know a lot about him but have really enjoyed watching him play. Didnt expect that.

NAW - no surprised here

Ogbaji - disappointed we don't see more. Wrong about him not earning more playing time. Hope I am wrong in the future.

Kessler - learned faster than I thought. Moves his feet better than I thought.

Azubuiki - more disgusted with his not playing at all. I thought he would get some playing time

Gay - figured he wpuld be pouting. Still want him gone.

Bolmaro - hard to be disappointed in someone that is at the end of the bench

My expectation was that there might be a bright spot or two this season but the Jazz would be horrible and the games would be painful.

So far I've been really wrong about that. There's many bright spots and the Jazz are good, but just as importantly, they're extremely fun to watch.

Definitely Olynyk , he has great hands and a sweet shot from 3

Gobert - once and for all I’ve taken the rose coloured glasses off , outside of a block shot for a win , he doesn’t move the needle , wolves will wish they never made that trade

Vanderbilt - wolves traded away their hustle and heart , I love him

Everyone is most wrong about Danny Ainge. Maybe Danny Ainge is most wrong about himself

1667886690238.png

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Conley! Not that I haven't been a supporter because I have, but I'm guilty of trying to trade the guy towards a younger, bigger more timeline consistent point guard. He does tend to get posted up quite a bit due to his size and he's not getting any younger, but what I wasn't taking into account was not only is he having a banner season since joining the Jazz but he's having a profound impact on the development of these younger players. I still have my doubts that Sexton can be our starting point guard of the future (love him in Clarkson's old role) and I do think we should consider grabbing somebody either taking up space on another roster or through the draft, but barring a reasonable shot at SGA, I think we need to go home with the one who brung us, and that's Mike Conley Jr. He's officially been added to my list of semi-untouchables for the season.

For me its KO as well. That Bojan trade was the "conclusive evidence" to me that this team is tanking. I was thinking no way that makes any other sense than removing a good scorer to decrease plausible wins.

For me its KO as well. That Bojan trade was the "conclusive evidence" to me that this team is tanking. I was thinking no way that makes any other sense than removing a good scorer to decrease plausible wins.
I also thought the trade was puzzling, but to me it kinda signaled that we _weren't_ tanking, since we got a solid player back instead of a pick from someone.

In any case, JC has definitely been the player who's exceeded my expectations the most. And Lauri, in particular as a defender.

I also thought the trade was puzzling, but to me it kinda signaled that we _weren't_ tanking, since we got a solid player back instead of a pick from someone.

In any case, JC has definitely been the player who's exceeded my expectations the most. And Lauri, in particular as a defender.
Since we got a 31 year old and a filler for a 33 year old, I thought it was a talent dump. Little did I know it was a glue player they targeted.

In hindsight, that trade is actually the most revealing that they were building a competitive team for this year.

Really hard to say what the primary motive was behind the KK trade. Obviously it saves Smith money, it gave the Jazz more roster flexibility with KOs partial team option next year, Danny Ainge liked him, it freed up minutes for KO, it shored up a positional weakness, it shored up (what I thought at the time) was a team weakness (passing).

I think I also pondered of it would ultimately make the Jazz better, but I thought I was drinking koolaid so I went with the more pessimistic view of tanking

I keep expecting this team to come back down to earth but they just haven't.
Well there is likely a crash coming at some point. Literally no one knew what to expect from this team, but as we play, other team's scouting gets better, and they can better prepare for what we are doing, and we will see the effects in more losses. But damn if it isn't the most fun I have had in watching the Jazz in decades. As long as they keep their attitude and keep playing their unselfish ball they will still win a lot of games this year. My bet at this rate is we end up somewhere between 4th and 8th in the West. Maybe a play-in team, but I think we get more in the 4-6 range, once all is said and done.

Then again, since we really don't know what this team can do, there is the chance they figure out how to adapt when other teams know more to game-plan against them, and they win even more than expected. At this point, finishing anywhere from 2-12 would not surprise me. Crazy season for sure.

Right now their biggest strength is that you cannot just stop any one guy. If you key in on Clarkson, then you give Markkanen an opening and that is bad. Or if you key in on Lauri, the guard core goes nuts. Or key in on stopping Sexton/Conley/Clarkson and we bring in bigger guys like THT and even Gay to shore up the offense and provide a defensive spark, and don't forget sleepers like Beasley and Vando, who could both go off if given the opening. So many weapons, and so many decent to great playmakers, and no egos. No one cares who the hero is, they just want to win. Tough to stop this team without a strong concerted very high-level team defense. Like Milwaukee right now. But there are maybe 3-4 teams in the league with an overall defense that strong. And even then we will have bursts that could bury them. Will be really interesting to see us going up against a few of the real power-houses of the league, like the suns and bucks. Then we will see what this team is made of.