What's new

Who is the backcourt star we could theoretically get to complete the roster?

Im not a big IQ guy (not that I dislike him, I just dont watch him), but on the surface he is a 24 year old who averaged 15-4-4 in a backup role and 23-5-5 as a starter (and is known for being a good defender)

You arent getting him for just a first rounder. It would take a first and one of our younger rookies, and that's probably not even enough. It would probably be 2 picks.
Has one year left on his contract so it might depend on how willing he is to sign a fair extension. I'm not giving two firsts for him but I'd consider Sexton and a first for IQ and Fournier. A high quality first is the best they would do imo. Maybe some minor sweeteners.

Has one year left on his contract so it might depend on how willing he is to sign a fair extension. I'm not giving two firsts for him but I'd consider Sexton and a first for IQ and Fournier. A high quality first is the best they would do imo. Maybe some minor sweeteners.
Unless I'm missing something, he's a RFA. Having 1 year left is nearly irrelevant.

Plenty of teams will demolish a single first.

Unless I'm missing something, he's a RFA. Having 1 year left is nearly irrelevant.

Plenty of teams will demolish a single first.
He is RFA and its completely relevant. As mentioned his value will be directly tied to what he would accept in and extension. If word is he wants like 25-30M a year over 5 years and will risk going to RFA it may push his value down. With the FA list being meh next year and a few teams having serious cap space its definitely going to affect his value.

Not sure what his market would be but I definitely am not giving up two firsts for him. He runs a little bit hot and cold so his run as a starter could have been a hot streak. I'd be a little hesitant to bet two firsts plus like $100M extension that its the player he will be.

Great question @HermanG

I just spent the past hour looking at the transactions and draft picks of the Denver Nuggets over the past 10 years. I think that is the model that the Jazz need to use to put together their championship team.

One thing that will be very interesting in the next couple of years will be the NBA adding some expansion teams. I think there will be 2 but I have read that there is consideration for 4 new teams. I think that would be crazy but the reason that I have brought this up is that there could be expensive players made available in the expansion draft. Teams hoping that they get picked up to save their current team a lot of money and expansion teams still have to spend their cap space.

This could present an interesting opportunity for the Jazz to potentially trade for one of these players. I would not bet on this but it is a possibility.

With no Picks in the 2024 draft, the Jazz are not going to be too loaded on their roster yet. The 2025 season will be much different.

The NBA seems to be setting up a lot more parity and that I feel will help the Jazz.
That model falls apart if they dont luck into Jokic becoming what he has become.
To be fair every model falls apart without lots of luck.

Great question @HermanG

I just spent the past hour looking at the transactions and draft picks of the Denver Nuggets over the past 10 years. I think that is the model that the Jazz need to use to put together their championship team.

One thing that will be very interesting in the next couple of years will be the NBA adding some expansion teams. I think there will be 2 but I have read that there is consideration for 4 new teams. I think that would be crazy but the reason that I have brought this up is that there could be expensive players made available in the expansion draft. Teams hoping that they get picked up to save their current team a lot of money and expansion teams still have to spend their cap space.

This could present an interesting opportunity for the Jazz to potentially trade for one of these players. I would not bet on this but it is a possibility.

With no Picks in the 2024 draft, the Jazz are not going to be too loaded on their roster yet. The 2025 season will be much different.

The NBA seems to be setting up a lot more parity and that I feel will help the Jazz.
I don't disagree. However, like 80% or more of the success of their model hinged on a late 2nd round pick becoming an all-world player and one of the best centers to ever play the game. That's not anything you can count on. But I still agree this is the closest model to what we need to hopefully make the most of what we have.

That model only works if you get a Jokic (for nothing).

I love Lauri but I don’t think he’s ever an all-world offensive hub like that.
Also to be fair, not many players in the history of the game can do what Jokic has done. If Lauri can cover the scoring and rebounding and be very solid on defense we can fill in the gaps elsewhere.

Also to be fair, not many players in the history of the game can do what Jokic has done. If Lauri can cover the scoring and rebounding and be very solid on defense we can fill in the gaps elsewhere.
Sure. I think the build around him would be akin to how to build around Giannis, which is to let others be more on-ball/creators and let him cook in the gaps. We still need to find our proverbial Middleton and Holiday in that case.

Sure. I think the build around him would be akin to how to build around Giannis, which is to let others be more on-ball/creators and let him cook in the gaps. We still need to find our proverbial Middleton and Holiday in that case.
I think we have to be like a top 5-6 defense built around the Ivory Towers... if Tay Henny is as good as I think he can be it will add a lot to that cause. Then on offense you hope to stay top 10 and be one of those teams that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

I do wonder if Lauri can push his scoring even further while mostly maintaining his insane efficiency. May only give you 3-4 assists in his peak form but maybe that's enough for a number 1 if the other parts are real good.

I would go after Dejounte Murray. He has a reasonable 4-year contract and fits our timeline (he’s 26, and like Lauri, entering his prime years). Young and Murray didn’t mesh well together for the Hawks last season. If this (and the Hawks’ salary dilemma) continues, there’s a chance the Hawks might be willing to trade him. I like Dejounte because I think he is one of those players who will shine in the right circumstances (give him the keys to run the offense).

Its a good time to discuss it with the slowness of everything. What do you think of Tre Mann? He had some flashes like the 24/12/12 game at the end of last season, and is sort of stuck behind another young talented guy in Giddey. Or if OKC loves Mann and wont trade him then maybe Giddey is possible?

Right now I'm sort of not seeing anyone from our current roster apart from George becoming "that guy" who also fits with Lauri and Kessler. THT would actually be the second best bet since at least he has some playmaking chops, but he has so many wrinkles he needs to iron out that I'm not holding my breath. Sexton is the 6th man type, Dunn is a nice 2nd unit floor general. Even if we max out all those guys developmentally, the only real legit good bet is George. Or maybe Brice.. dont know too much about him.

So maybe go after someone even if he is a long shot, as long as we are not spending too many assets to get him?
Giddey is definitely not an option but Tre Mann looked amazing in the summer league. He will have a hard time finding consistent minutes with the thunder so I would expect him to be available for a future 1st.

I would go after Dejounte Murray. He has a reasonable 4-year contract and fits our timeline (he’s 26, and like Lauri, entering his prime years). Young and Murray didn’t mesh well together for the Hawks last season. If this (and the Hawks’ salary dilemma) continues, there’s a chance the Hawks might be willing to trade him. I like Dejounte because I think he is one of those players who will shine in the right circumstances (give him the keys to run the offense).

I'm really hesitant about Murray. He puts up big numbers but I don't think he has that big of an impact and I don't like his outside shot. If I had to choose between Murray and Herro I think I would go with Herro. I think Herro has another level to go offensively and would thrive with Lauri in the pick and roll.

@Handlogten's Heros
Where are we with #MurrayWatch at this point? Obviously ATL solved the worst of the near-term salary problem with the John Collins trade, but is there another path to Murray becoming available?

When I look at the landscape of options, it's hard to find a better fit than Murray. Even if Keyonte pops, he and Murray could co-exist pretty seamlessly, IMO.

I'm really hesitant about Murray. He puts up big numbers but I don't think he has that big of an impact and I don't like his outside shot. If I had to choose between Murray and Herro I think I would go with Herro. I think Herro has another level to go offensively and would thrive with Lauri in the pick and roll.
IMO, Murray's defense makes up for a lot of the outside shot. Especially when compared to Herro's defense.

@Handlogten's Heros
Where are we with #MurrayWatch at this point? Obviously ATL solved the worst of the near-term salary problem with the John Collins trade, but is there another path to Murray becoming available?

When I look at the landscape of options, it's hard to find a better fit than Murray. Even if Keyonte pops, he and Murray could co-exist pretty seamlessly, IMO.
He signed an extension this summer... so its kinda dead unfortunately. That was part of the urgency and it is now gone.

He signed an extension this summer... so its kinda dead unfortunately. That was part of the urgency and it is now gone.
Yeah he signed a 4-year extension, which is one reason why I like him. If Young and Murray still can’t be efficient together next season, we could try to snatch him with a big offer. He would be a great fit for the Jazz.

Yeah he signed a 4-year extension, which is one reason why I like him. If Young and Murray still can’t be efficient together next season, we could try to snatch him with a big offer. He would be a great fit for the Jazz.
Let’s rehab Collins’ value and then trade him straight across.