What's new

Who will the Jazz let go?

Of these players, which will not be back with the Jazz next year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think the postseason experience the team just got is the best value the Jazz could have gotten out of the final months of Favors' contract. He won't be walking for nothing, if he leaves.
The playoffs are over for us. The next season is what matters now. If he walks, we get nothing. We will have nice feel-good warm fuzzies about our memories of the playoffs, and a void at PF with nothing to fill it.

So, you are wondering if we get rid of:
Favors - UFA
Exum - QO
Neto - QO
Jerebko - TO

Those I can see questioning, but how do we get rid of:
Udoh - under contract next year
Sefolosha - under contract next year

I guess some of these contracts are not guaranteed. Does that mean we don't claim them by the date and they become UFA?

Favors - UFA
Exum - QO
Neto - QO
Jerebko - TO

I guess some of these contracts are not guaranteed. Does that mean we don't claim them by the date and they become UFA?
I believe so ...

Favors - UFA
Exum - QO
Neto - QO
Jerebko - TO

Sefalosha’s contract is only guaranteed after July 1st, Udoh and Jerebko after July 9th. Jazz can trade or cut them before that time and not have to keep them.

That’s why they’re a great asset leading up to the draft. So many teams are stuck in bad cap situations. The Jazz can help a team create up to $17 million in cap space this summer, or help one or more teams get under the tax line. It would be unfortunate if they’re traded, because they’re all solid, likeable guys. . . but I don’t think any of them should be expected to be contributing to playoff success.

The playoffs are over for us. The next season is what matters now. If he walks, we get nothing. We will have nice feel-good warm fuzzies about our memories of the playoffs, and a void at PF with nothing to fill it.
My point is that, if he had been traded at the deadline -- based on reports regarding his market value, from Tony Jones, etc -- it would have been for pretty minor assets. My guess is a second rounder, or maybe two.

There is very real value associated with having playoff experience. I think it probably made Donovan a better player, and I'm sure it was good for others. I'm not advocating for cherished memories, or anything like that.

If you could invest a second round pick-quality asset in getting two rounds of playoff experience for our young players, would you make the trade? I would - and that's effectively how I'm choosing to view the decision to keep Favors, instead of cashing in on some small trade asset.

That’s why they’re a great asset leading up to the draft. So many teams are stuck in bad cap situations. The Jazz can help a team create up to $17 million in cap space this summer, or help one or more teams get under the tax line. It would be unfortunate if they’re traded, because they’re all solid, likeable guys. . . but I don’t think any of them should be expected to be contributing to playoff success.
I don't really see any teams needing tax relief. Lebron is gone, especially if they don't win the next two and miss the Finals. That leaves OKC, GS and Miami with possible tax problems. But I don't see them dealing any players of note to us to get under.

I think there may be more opportunity to deal those three + Burks at the deadline in Feb. There will not only be non-playoff teams looking to rebuild, but others positioning themselves for the 2019 free agent orgy. This summer, I guess the Jazz could be a facilitator in a Kwahi trade, or in players going to LA. But if the Lakers choose to deal someone, they should get pretty good offers from other teams. It's not like Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas, etc. don't have cap space.

And I agree with radiohegel. The Jazz were pushing hard to make the playoffs. The locker room chemistry was incredibly strong. Trading Favors for a 2nd or some expiring assets would have sent the wrong message. Whatever Derrick decides, keeping him was the right decision.

Last edited:
My point is that, if he had been traded at the deadline -- based on reports regarding his market value, from Tony Jones, etc -- it would have been for pretty minor assets. My guess is a second rounder, or maybe two.

There is very real value associated with having playoff experience. I think it probably made Donovan a better player, and I'm sure it was good for others. I'm not advocating for cherished memories, or anything like that.

If you could invest a second round pick-quality asset in getting two rounds of playoff experience for our young players, would you make the trade? I would - and that's effectively how I'm choosing to view the decision to keep Favors, instead of cashing in on some small trade asset.

It is always easy to say we should have traded someone when you don't know what we were offered. Agree that keeping Favs was the right thing to do based upon everything we have heard about what we have gotten in return. Also worth noting that he may well be in the long term plans and at the right price they want to keep him.