What's new

Why do you love that Jazzy note?

JoelHodgeJr

I grew up in a small town in Vermont. We had about 5k total people. With no major state sports team my fandom was like a ronin samurai. So after I had a fling with Orlando magic, Penny hardaway was injured forever and Shaq was traded away. Nick Anderson got the yips worse then Markel Fulkz. My unfounded fan ship cracked in his foundation.

I needed a new team to love. I was a freshman in college. I loved basketball, and thought I knew about it to be smart. It was the year that John Stockton retired and Karl left for a chip in LA.

Everyone said the Jazz would be the worst team in the NBA. I saw special in Andre Kirilenko. Matt Harpring I knew would produce through effort, and I thought Arroyo was going to get a chip off his shoulder. I won a bet that that the jazz would still have a winning record. They were 42 and 40 and the only team with the over 500 record to make to not make the playoffs. I won $250 on that bet my freshman yea. Ever since then I've studied and become charmed by the Cinderella that hasn't worn the slipper.

Last edited:
For me it was Stockton. I wanted to be like him as a player, albeit I did quit playing organized basketball in the late 90s.

Still to this day doesnt matter which sport I play, making a savvy pass is the thing that gives me greatest joy.. more so than scoring. I always had the vision and passing touch, but unfortunately my handle was tragic.

I got to be a ball boy the year Malone was drafted. Something about being an outstanding jr high player the year before, there were 5 of us. Got to be on the sidelines at about 8 games and some practices. Griffith gave me a jersey of his from the previous season I guess and I had as many sign it as I could, including Stockton and Malone. Glorious experience, been a fan ever since. I loved basketball since I can remember, played organized since I was maybe 10 years old, not a lot of opportunities for kids when I was young like there are now. I watched the earlier iterations of the jazz, even before Stockton and Malone, you know right after they came to Utah really, when they got Stockton you could see his greatness every time he got on the court and I became a lot more of a fan. Then I got to meet the team for those games and that was it, they'll always be my team. I'm pretty certain we'll never win a ring, but it's been a fun and often frustrating ride. Can't imagine cheering for anyone else really. So I guess really I've been a fan since I was 10 let's say. Over 40 years. Crazy.

I got to be a ball boy the year Malone was drafted. Something about being an outstanding jr high player the year before, there were 5 of us. Got to be on the sidelines at about 8 games and some practices. Griffith gave me a jersey of his from the previous season I guess and I had as many sign it as I could, including Stockton and Malone. Glorious experience, been a fan ever since. I loved basketball since I can remember, played organized since I was maybe 10 years old, not a lot of opportunities for kids when I was young like there are now. I watched the earlier iterations of the jazz, even before Stockton and Malone, you know right after they came to Utah really, when they got Stockton you could see his greatness every time he got on the court and I became a lot more of a fan. Then I got to meet the team for those games and that was it, they'll always be my team. I'm pretty certain we'll never win a ring, but it's been a fun and often frustrating ride. Can't imagine cheering for anyone else really. So I guess really I've been a fan since I was 10 let's say. Over 40 years. Crazy.
These stories we make up are funny.

I can't remember exactly what caught my attention in 1985 as I hadn't been a big sports fan previously (probably Stockton), but I've been a fan ever since. The first game I saw live was a preseason game in the Salt Palace against Charles Barkley and the 76ers in 1986 or 1987, I think. Sat on the 4th row.

I prefer the mountains but the note cool too.

I just like the non-sequitur that is the Jazz followed by the mountain logo

The real story, not like Logs pulled from a commercial.

This is from a teen mind so it doesn’t have to gel or make sense.

I played ball for fun a lot as a teen. I watched the NBA. I hated the Lakers with my friends but at the time in northern Cali we didn’t have anything to root for in the Warriors and Kings. Mullen had a sweet shot, Hardaway was fun for a minute and Ritchmond was cool. Sacto had nothing. That’s all for years.

We played Status Pro Basketball for fun. If you don’t know what it is, it’s a card game that simulates an NBA basketball game. Often my friend would take the Celtics because their team was awesome and the Lakers rival and it was his game. I refused to take the Lakers who were also good and would often take the Jazz.

That bled over into fandom somehow.
It doesn’t have to make sense.
I have a monster truck.

The real story, not like Logs pulled from a commercial.

This is from a teen mind so it doesn’t have to gel or make sense.

I played ball for fun a lot as a teen. I watched the NBA. I hated the Lakers with my friends but at the time in northern Cali we didn’t have anything to root for in the Warriors and Kings. Mullen had a sweet shot, Hardaway was fun for a minute and Ritchmond was cool. Sacto had nothing. That’s all for years.

We played Status Pro Basketball for fun. If you don’t know what it is, it’s a card game that simulates an NBA basketball game. Often my friend would take the Celtics because their team was awesome and the Lakers rival and it was his game. I refused to take the Lakers who were also good and would often take the Jazz.

That bled over into fandom somehow.
It doesn’t have to make sense.
I have a monster truck.
Dude don't be jelly. Some of us are just gifted. You can have your own story and it can be just fine. So there you go. See, you made up a nice one there. No need to harsh anybody's buzz bruh.

Start looking basketball end 80 ( My god). I fall in love for Kukoc after seeing him winning the european cup with Trevise. Never seen such a talented young guys like this. Logically, i follow the Bulls during his time here. In the same time, i was attented games at my city Villeurbanne. In 1993. we hire an american guy, Delaney Rudd, who had been Stockton back-up for 1 or 2 years at Jazz. Delaney become an idol in France, MVP and best player for few seasons. He was so great. I was definitly intrigue to know how such a good player was only a back-up player in Utah and had a very short career in NBA. So i did look more closely at Stockton and understood why. Rudd was good, Stockton was the men !
Since that time, i had follow the Jazz on a regular basis.

Untitled.png

NBA in the 80s was awesome. Games were tough, not as many fans, etc.

Bobby Hansen once did a fan even and my brother and I were the only ones that showed up. We spent a lot time just shooting the **** with him. Stuff like that will never happen again.

The old Rocky Mountain Revue was also more intimate, and most of the teams showed up. Met a lot of players at restaurant bars after the events.

I fly in for games every year, but actually prefer watching on tv now. I still love the team, but miss old NBA ball.

Do it. The telling part. Wait on the killing. Give me 20, maybe 30 years depending on health, the world and the state of Jazz championships.

well in Australia there was precious little free coverage of the NBA in the 80s so the earliest i recall seeing was the Magic-Bird 84 finals. By the time i'd watched for a few years one game a week, i remember watching a Jazz Lakers game in prob 87 or 88 and seeing this massive muscly dude running the court like a racehorse dunking and hearing the "beat LA" chants and seeing as i like underdogs and thought their uniforms were cool i decided the Jazz would be the team for me and been following for the next 35 years .

I grew up in a small town in Vermont. We had about 5k total people. With no major state sports team my fandom was like a ronin samurai. So after I had a fling with Orlando magic, Penny hardaway was injured forever and Shaq was traded away. Nick Anderson got the yips worse then Markel Fulkz. My unfounded fan ship cracked in his foundation.

I needed a new team to love. I was a freshman in college. I loved basketball, and thought I knew about it to be smart. It was the year that John Stockton retired and Karl left for a chip in LA.

Everyone said the Jazz would be the worst team in the NBA. I saw special in Andre Kirilenko. Matt Harpring I knew would produce through effort, and I thought Arroyo was going to get a chip off his shoulder. I won a bet that that the jazz would still have a winning record. They were 42 and 40 and the only team with the over 500 record to make to not make the playoffs. I won $250 on that bet my freshman yea. Ever since then I've studied and become charmed by the Cinderella that hasn't worn the slipper.

And it's malpractice that Sloan didn't win coach of the year that year.