What's new

Why not Leonard?!?!

jrclone

He would have been a legitimate 3, puts out an incredible effort, and would be a great addition on the wing with Hayward. It seems to me like the Jazz are incapable of making adjustments on the fly. With Leonard dropping so far, it seems ludicrous to me that we took a smaller, less defensive minded guard, who is also incapable of making 3's. Especially with AK being an unrestricted FA, we need some depth at the 3. I believe this will eventually be known as a huge mistake.

You can't pick every player. It is a toss up and I would have been fine with Leonard. We don't know if Leonard was higher than Burks on the Jazz board. I like to ask KOC that question. Maybe the Jazz feel that Hayward and CJ are good enough to handle the SF. Perhaps the difference between Leonard and Burks was so small that the Jazz picked the greater need.

He doesn't shoot well from the 3 like Burks oh wait. Never mind. Seriously he is a darn good player as shown by the Spurs picking him. I love the Spurs drafting ability.

Yeah, I like Burks. But Leonard DROPPED. Although there has to be some reason Leonard dropped that far. I wonder why.

To be honest, he kinda inexplicably moved up in the draft during the offseason, so he just dropped back to where he belongs, I guess.

He would have been a legitimate 3, puts out an incredible effort, and would be a great addition on the wing with Hayward. It seems to me like the Jazz are incapable of making adjustments on the fly. With Leonard dropping so far, it seems ludicrous to me that we took a smaller, less defensive minded guard, who is also incapable of making 3's. Especially with AK being an unrestricted FA, we need some depth at the 3. I believe this will eventually be known as a huge mistake.
I expected the Jazz to take a SF. Was thinking Leonard, Singleton or even Hamilton. Burks surprised me.
But didn't Leonard cancel his Jazz workout? If Burks and Kawhi were pretty evenly ranked, I imagine Leonard deciding he wouldn't even show up for a workout would have been a major red flag.

I would think that they took Alec Burks instead of Leonard or Singleton because the Jazz think that Millsap is their future at the SF spot. IMO, this draft solidifies Millsap as the starter at SF this upcoming season. If he doesn't work out, they can always try to trade him. Here is my depth chart for this season:

PG: Devin Harris, Earl Watson, Free Agent
SG: Gordon Hayward, Alec Burks, Raja Bell
SF: Paul Millsap, C.J. Miles
PF: Derrick Favors, Jeremy Evans/AK (if we re-sign him)
C: Al Jefferson, Enes Kanter, Mehmet Okur (maybe)

Here's another thought. If Mehmet Okur can't play anymore, do you guys think that he could retire and become the Jazz's fourth coach and personal mentor for Kanter?

1) There is nothing to adjust to. The order you rank them at is determined before you sit in the room. They have had players fall before and grabbed them ie KK and Ronnie B

2) Obviously, a number of teams were not that high on Leonard. He is a tweener.

The Spurs have superior drafting ability and at this point you have to assume they know what they're doing. They traded George Hill for Leonard. If the Spurs had offered Hill for the 12, the Jazz would've probably considered it. As Leonard was available, will it end up being another Lopez over Parker scenario?

The Spurs also drafted Cory Joseph. Corey effing Joseph. Yes, the Spurs do draft pretty well for the most part, but they are massively over-rated by the media/public, much like Bill Belicheck is.

The Spurs also drafted Cory Joseph. Corey effing Joseph. Yes, the Spurs do draft pretty well for the most part, but they are massively over-rated by the media/public, much like Bill Belicheck is.

This.

People need to take a step back and think about how great their front office will look once the Artist formerly known as Tim Duncan and Co. deteriorate even more than they already have. Say three years from now.

His name as well as Singleton's crossed my mind @ 12... I expect to see several players at the 3-spot; CJ, Evans, Millsap, and Hayward. Unless Okur retires, I don't see us re-signing AK; no roster space... Now that we're hearing Burks talked about as a PG too, the pick makes good sense to me. He CAN'T have worse PG skills than Ronie Price, can he??

We need a separate thread for every player the Jazz "should have" taken.

Excellent work, OP.