What's new

Why we should make the playoffs.

A

Agoxlea

We owe Memphis our 1st rounder at some point. This is one of the weaker drafts in a long time. Why not give up our pick now. I see our mid first rounder next year or year after having higher potential than a late lottery pick this year. Especially if a lot of players are scared away by a potential lockout. With the new cba and a lower/hard cap a rookie contract would potentially be more valuable. What I'm saying is there is a chance that we may have to commit less to a better player when comparing next years draft to this years. The new cap could potentially make draft picks more valuable shouldn't we be hoping that if we do owe a pick we fulfill that obligation before the new cba?

Also with no NBA or NFL next year it's going to be a long sports drought, I am being selfish and want to see as many games as possible. Also I never post here so feel free to rip this apart.

The biggest reason the Jazz should make the playoffs is that a culture of winning is much better than a culture of losing. Even if they get swept in the first round, they will learn a ton.

The biggest reason the Jazz should make the playoffs is that a culture of winning is much better than a culture of losing. Even if they get swept in the first round, they will learn a ton.

This. The youngins need the taste of the playoffs. That **** is addictive.

Lol these people think Jesus was 40 when he died? Has anyone ever seen a 40-year-old that looks this good?

muscular-jesus-breaking-cross.jpg

Didn't think so.

This is the only reason.

Except isn't that really just a culture of losing?

No it's much needed playoff experience, it's getting ahead of the curve, it's not having to draft someone with the 13-14 th pick in a weak draft who we could get with the 18th next year, it's convincing players like Jefferson Harris and Favors that resigning in Ut is not so bad because this is a good team, it makes them even mor hungy to get back the next year, so they can improve upon the year before. Not only do the players need experience playing in the post season but are coach does as well. There is no good reason to ever miss the playoffs.

The argument for not making the playoffs is so we can get in the lottery. Is the 13-14th pick going to score us a star ? No.... Hell there's a good chance who ever we pick in that position will be a bust. Winning inspires team chemistry and winning losing inspires dissension which leads to breaking up the team, which leads to more losing and rebuilding, which leads to Clipper land, which would you rather have?

I'm on the "make the play-offs" bandwagon. Reasons: Give them a taste, culture of winning (charlie sheen), experience, however little, matters, draft picks not looking remarkable, thus might as well go for the experience.

There is truth in your statement. At least we aren't tanking. If you are being honest about it though getting into the playoffs is both positive, and negative this year.

I'm certainly rooting for Utah to win every single game, but I believe that making the playoffs in someway continues a "culture of winning" is pretty much BS. I would almost bet the house that the Spurs sweep Utah should the Jazz get in. Is that really going to instill confidence into our younger players? Is D-Favors going to come out of a 4 game series more mentally strong after the Spurs front court abuses him? Hell, one could argue that a bad series against the Spurs does way more harm than good. Not to mention that it's also costing you a 1st round draft pick.

I would change my opinion if I thought the Jazz could be competitive in a 1st round series and push it 6 or even 7 games. I think then the young players would actually be gaining some positive experience. I just don't see that happening. A series with the Spurs would end in 4 games and I don't see the Jazz coming within 20 pts of the Spurs in any of those contests unless the Spurs get bored.

My best case scenario is that Utah finishes off the season playing well and just misses the playoffs. That way, they can be trending in the right directions, players can keep some confidence intact (without San Antonio blowing it up) and Utah retains their 1st round pick process. It would allow the Jazz to finish the season with a winning taste in their mouths, players can feel like Ty Corbin is leading them in the right direction and the whole orginization can turn it into a moral victory. The offseason rallying cry could then be something along the lines of: In the last half of the season, we lost the winningest coach in franchise history, traded away arguably the best PG in the NBA, suffered through a major rash of injuries and roster turnover and yet still almost made the playoffs.

I'm certainly rooting for Utah to win every single game, but I believe that making the playoffs in someway continues a "culture of winning" is pretty much BS. I would almost bet the house that the Spurs sweep Utah should the Jazz get in. Is that really going to instill confidence into our younger players? Is D-Favors going to come out of a 4 game series more mentally strong after the Spurs front court abuses him? Hell, one could argue that a bad series against the Spurs does way more harm than good. Not to mention that it's also costing you a 1st round draft pick.

I would change my opinion if I thought the Jazz could be competitive in a 1st round series and push it 6 or even 7 games. I think then the young players would actually be gaining some positive experience. I just don't see that happening. A series with the Spurs would end in 4 games and I don't see the Jazz coming within 20 pts of the Spurs in any of those contests unless the Spurs get bored.

My best case scenario is that Utah finishes off the season playing well and just misses the playoffs. That way, they can be trending in the right directions, players can keep some confidence intact (without San Antonio blowing it up) and Utah retains their 1st round pick process. It would allow the Jazz to finish the season with a winning taste in their mouths, players can feel like Ty Corbin is leading them in the right direction and the whole orginization can turn it into a moral victory. The offseason rallying cry could then be something along the lines of: In the last half of the season, we lost the winningest coach in franchise history, traded away arguably the best PG in the NBA, suffered through a major rash of injuries and roster turnover and yet still almost made the playoffs.

Well if a playoff sweep weeds out the garbage on this team great. If Favors is so mentally weak that he can't overcome a playoff loss then he his no good to the team regardless if we make the playoffs or not. That post was telltale garbage.

I want them to make the playoffs so they don't have a second pick in this beer-goggles draft. I would rather give the pick this year than a future year.

playoffs>late round lotto

This team has to believe that they can do it, not hope that some rook comes to the rescue.

Lol these people think Jesus was 40 when he died? Has anyone ever seen a 40-year-old that looks this good?

muscular-jesus-breaking-cross.jpg

Didn't think so.

Dont let my wife see this, eh guys!!?! *shoulder punch*Shoulder punch*shoulder punch*

*editors note: I dont have a wife

I'm on the "make the play-offs" bandwagon. Reasons: Give them a taste, culture of bi-winning (charlie sheen), experience, however little, matters, draft picks not looking remarkable, thus might as well go for the experience.

fixed

I hope the Jazz make the playoffs because it would be nice to have the rooks get some of that experience. A late lotto pick in this draft seems to be like a normal late 1st round pick the Jazz usually get.