What's new

Why we should make the playoffs.

Kobe was swept by us from the playoffs in the first couple of seasons in his career. What did that do to him?

The fact that we make the playoffs despite everything that had happened got to make the team feel good. Memphis' team has been intact for a couple of seasons now and they still have not been able to make the playoffs, then bam, Randolph and Gasol hit the FA market next year. The time is now.

No it's much needed playoff experience, it's getting ahead of the curve, it's not having to draft someone with the 13-14 th pick in a weak draft who we could get with the 18th next year, it's convincing players like Jefferson Harris and Favors that resigning in Ut is not so bad because this is a good team, it makes them even mor hungy to get back the next year, so they can improve upon the year before. Not only do the players need experience playing in the post season but are coach does as well. There is no good reason to ever miss the playoffs.

The argument for not making the playoffs is so we can get in the lottery. Is the 13-14th pick going to score us a star ? No.... Hell there's a good chance who ever we pick in that position will be a bust. Winning inspires team chemistry and winning losing inspires dissension which leads to breaking up the team, which leads to more losing and rebuilding, which leads to Clipper land, which would you rather have?

Better version of what I meant.

Well if a playoff sweep weeds out the garbage on this team great. If Favors is so mentally weak that he can't overcome a playoff loss then he his no good to the team regardless if we make the playoffs or not. That post was telltale garbage.

Not nearly as much garbage as your response.

D-Favors is a 19-year old rookie. My point of view is simply that he's probably not quite ready for a 4 game series against the likes of Tim Duncan and the best coach in the NBA. I'm not trying to say that he's mentally weak or insinuate that it would have long-term negative effects on this kid or the Jazz team as a whole. I simply think he and the Jazz would get their doors blown off by the Spurs and I'm challenging the opinion that any playoff experience is good playoff experience. Especially when a draft pick is at stake.

Your thinking that a playoff sweep could "weed out the garbage" is also extremely flawed. If a playoff sweep would accomplish that, wouldn't missing the playoffs all together only further Utah's desire for roster turnover? I don't think making/missing the playoffs by a game or two and exiting in the 1st round is going to do much to change KOC's opinion of what this team needs. If you honestly believe that, you're kidding yourself.

And to the poster who used Kobe Bryant getting swept by the Jazz as a comparison: We're talking about a Utah Jazz team limping into the playoffs and almost assuredly getting throttled by the Spurs. That Lakers team had progressed to the Western Conference Finals (giving Kobe MUCH more positive playoff experience and quite a few more playoff games played), the core of their future titles were already in place with a younger Shaq and D-Fisher in the mix and they weren't losing a lottery pick in the process. That's certainly not an apples-to-apples comparison.

I want them to make the playoffs so they don't have a second pick in this beer-goggles draft. I would rather give the pick this year than a future year.

This.

When Jimmer is bandied about as being a potential early lottery pick you gotta question the amount of alcohol involved.

I actually agree that this is a weak draft, but I still wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that our 2nd draft pick would end up being pretty useless. Superstars and hidden gems always pop up in drafts be them weak or strong. What does Utah get out of a quick series with San Antonio? Honestly, that's pretty hard to quantify. While hitting on a #13 or 14 draft pick in this draft is admittedly very slim, it still seems more enticing to me than seeing the Jazz in the playoffs for about 8 days.

I actually agree that this is a weak draft, but I still wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that our 2nd draft pick would end up being pretty useless. Superstars and hidden gems always pop up in drafts be them weak or strong. What does Utah get out of a quick series with San Antonio? Honestly, that's pretty hard to quantify. While hitting on a #13 or 14 draft pick in this draft is admittedly very slim, it still seems more enticing to me than seeing the Jazz in the playoffs for about 8 days.

That makes no sense your like a little child who wants his ten minutes of fun, instead of waiting a little longer for something better unless we are picking top 3 there are know quick fixes. What in the hell are we going to get with the 13th pick this year. There's a good chance we can get a better player next year in a stronger draft.

Why in the hell do you think the the jazz will lose by twenty points in every game. To me it's insulting how little you think of this team. I'm not saying jazz aren't going to lose all 4 games, but they certainly won't get blown away by 20 in every game. If you think that favors even at 19 yrs. Of age getting swept in 4 will hurt him then yes he is mentally weak your arguments are weak. As far as I can tell your arguments are if we miss the playoffs we get the 13th pick in a very weak draft, and we can coddle the players.

Nether are good reasons to miss the playoffs.