What's new

Why we should only go after old type school players

Twin Towers

By old school I mean players that know there role on offense and defense.
I personally think the versatile players that can do all things OK but nothing specialized for there position ends up hurting your team. Especially teams that run a structured offense and defense.

When players know there roles like coming off screens, catch and shoot and play good man to man defense with your feet not hands (wing position).

Setting up teammates and hit the mid range shot. Run pick and roll (Point guard).

Protect the basket with POSITIONAL DEFENSE not just shot blocking. BOXING OUT! (Center)

These are just some examples. I am not saying they have to be exactly like this but it seems the NBA has gone to players that are SG's and SF's that can't shoot. and Centers and PF's that can't play down low and can't protect the basket. And score first point guards.

When the Jazz were at the top of there game in the 90's we had all of these things. The past decade we lost the majority of what made us good. Horny and Russell were good coming off screens and catch and shoot players. They were both good man to man defenders. They didn't play defense with there hands. They played with there feet.
We know about Stockton and Malone. Don't need to go into that. But even Ostertag played his role well enough and clogged the lane and altering shots. Even though Ostertag was clumsy and not very talented he played his role well enough to be a force on defense. Just by his overall size.

Than I look at how the Spurs are playing right now. And they have all of that. All of them play there role and don't go outside of the basic role a certain position should have.

Than I look at this up coming draft and see tweener players who don't have a clear positon. Except a few who can for sure play that certain position well.

How many of our guys don't fit these roles that that a team elite? Should we only just collect talent and not worry about roles? or should we take less talented players for guys who actually fit the roles (Talent meaning athleticism and streak scorers etc).

Does Al Jefferson play positional defense to clog the lane (or even have the size to)?

Is Devin Harris a pass first point guard?

Can AK play good man to man defense or shoot from the outside or come off screens?

I know there is more to it than this but the structure of this seems important. Especially when you look at the elite teams around the league. Boston (before they traded perkins), Lakers, Spurs etc.

Should we only go after players in this years draft and free agency for the best available talent and potential? or go after the best available talent that fits our system?