What's new

Will Joe Johnson make the hall of fame?

fgcamel

I was thinking earlier about who the next Jazz player would be to enter the hall of fame. I'm a relatively new Jazz fan (2010), so my first thoughts were guys from around then like Deron Williams and Andrei Kirilenko who we can probably agree had good careers, but are very unlikely to enter the hall. Then I was thinking who of the young guys (Gordon, Rudy) would have the best shot when I realised that we currently have a guy in Joe Johnson who has an argument to make it even if he retired today.

Basketball reference currently has him at just about exactly 50% odds to make it (https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob.html), sitting in a weird grey area on his own, well behind James Harden and well ahead of Rajon Rondo, and he's a classic case of a guy who has put up really good stats over a long career (will likely break 20,000 points), as well as lots of all star appearances, but never went to the finals and only made one all-nba third team.

So the question is, do you think Joe will be a hall of famer? and if not, who do you think will be the next player (or coach) we get in? (maybe I'm missing someone obvious who isn't far away?)

Bonus rep to the first person to name the last Jazz player to be inducted (no looking it up!)

After he gets his championship this year? Yes.

After he gets his championship this year? Yes.

I could actually see him playing a big roll for us in the playoffs. Hes one of those guys who true value will come late in the season.

Game winner Game 7 against the Rockets....Joe Joe baby

As much as I hate Fisher he was big in our WCF run with Dwill. JJ i dont hate, but i think his roll is the same. He is here to mentor, and he will win some big games for us.

...and that touch pass to Favors had to be one of my favorite plays of the year so far. ****ing beautiful.

He's a top-50 all-time scorer. I'm not saying that makes him a shoo-in but it's an impressive stat. He should be considered.

Nope, very good player. He's what they call "'a compiler" -- was he truly dominant in his era?

"Compiler" is an accurate description.

Teams he played on where he was "the man" usually under performed.

He's never made a deep run in the playoffs - and his playoffs stats are shaky.

I'm sure he'll get consideration but IMO not an HOF'er.

Nope. Nice player with some great skills. I doubt he gets any kind of serious consideration. Not a HOF player

Nope, very good player. He's what they call "'a compiler" -- was he truly dominant in his era?

Good assessment. He scored a lot of points, but I just don't think of him as "great." In 10 years, when you ask about the dominant players from 1995-2015, would his name ever come up?

I really like Joe, he's a great player but not hall of fame caliber IMO. However the basketball hall of fame has been easier to get into than other sports...I still doubt it, he needs more playoff success to validate a HOF career.