What's new

Will Steph Curry Race to GOBCPOAT ?

addictionary

That's Greatest Offensive Back Court Player of All Time.

Dude's looking unreal and just broke an NBA record with 3 points.

I mean, look at that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMPALugBJLU

I was going to watch this game last night but I figured Curry would be resting as they have things all locked up. Boy do I feel sheepish.

Curry is probably the most exciting player to watch since prime Kobe, and probably Jordan before that. Generational talent in terms of putting on a show.

I do hate all three, but i'd be damned if they aren't exciting to watch when they're cooking.

Curry is certainly one of those rare NBA players where you feel like your money was spend well watching him play. Dude is sick.

Curry is probably the most exciting player to watch since prime Kobe, and probably Jordan before that. Generational talent in terms of putting on a show.

I do hate all three, but i'd be damned if they aren't exciting to watch when they're cooking.

...personally, much more enjoyed the Stockton to Malone combination all those years! Now THAT was poetry in motion! No wasted moving parts, pure execution that, well, as that one Laker player once said: "The only way you can stop it....is bring a baseball bat to the game and kill one of them!"

So watching the video if those were really assists given for some of those plays then Stockton would have averaged about 30 per game. At 0:35 or so he handed the ball to Bogut who then watched the play develop, holding the ball, for a good 5 or 6 seconds before taking a dribble and making the shot on his own move. Stockton probably made the exact same play to Malone 5-10 times per game that he didn't get an assist for. Same with the earlier play on the wing when Curry passed the ball out and the other guy took 3 dribbles and went from outside the 3 pt line where he was spotted up in for a dunk. They are getting pretty damn liberal on what is an assist.

So was watching some youtube vids and found this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFP446qlu00

In the comments section found this comment:

This doesn't get talked about much, but I believe there is strong evidence that Steve Nash is the best shooter in the history of the NBA. Ever heard of "50-40-90"? That means 50% FGP, 40% 3PP, and 90% FTP. Normally this is talked about in terms of a player having a 50-40-90 season. This has only been acheived ten times by six players. Larry Bird and Steve Nash are the only players to do it more than once; Larry did it twice consecutively in 86-87 and 87-88. That leaves Steve Nash...

Steve Nash had a 50-40-90 season in 4 OUT OF 5 consecutive seasons. This happened starting with the 05-06 season through the 09-10 season (excluding the 2006 season where he from the free throw line he only shot.... .899%. Yes, if he had made literally ONE MORE of his 247 attempts that year, he would have 5 consecutive seasons to his name.) In fact, if you count all of his near-misses where he was only out by less than one percent in 2 of the 3 fields, he'd add another 4 seasons of this fantastic feat. Additionaly, he averaged 10.9 assists per game during these 5 seasons and 8.5 throughout his career.

It doesn't stop there though. Steve Nash has had a long career of 18 seasons, and let's be honest- the last couple with the Lakers have been anything but glamorous. Nonetheless, Steve Nash is the closest player (by several percents) to be a CAREER 50-40-90 shooter. His career stats are .49.0-42.8-90.4! Yup, Steve Nash only needs 124 of his past missed shots to have gone in to average over his entire career what has only been done for one season by 5 other players. When you take nearly 13,000 shots, several hundred go halfway in and then magically jump out. Enough said.

Thoughts? I didn't bother looking it up but this seems fairly solid for a comparison of best shooters. Where is Curry in this conversation?

I don't have a horse in this race. I think Curry is pretty great and fun to watch, but I found the same thing about Nash and others. Just curious what people in this thread thought.

They are getting pretty damn liberal on what is an assist.

Since passing is a dying trend and more and more iso is being played they started really closing eyes on how assists should be recorded. Heck I remember once watching the Jazz game and the other guy on our fantasy league had Hayward on his team and he was trailing me by assist or so. I almost lost my mind when Hayward was given assist on a play where he passed the ball to Raja Bell in the corner for 3, Bell faked, got defender in the air and then drove all the way from 3 pt line to the basket for layup. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed that Jazz scored but that freaking bogus assist cost me a win that week.
Somebody challenged Boston stat crew couple years ago for giving bogus assists to Rondo since there was not even enough FGs made to make for total Rondo was credited for. Just sad reality of homecooking by stat crews these days.

I share the point of the definition of assist getting too unclear on purpose. There are screens that are set that assist to the goal a lot more than an assist like you guys have given the example of.

I also felt ashamed not to mention Nash who was amazing. Curry is the excitement of today though and watching how smoothly skilled he is and slides like a soap in a military bath around even the fastest defenders, he pushes me to wonder if he is a unique one and best at what he does. But for goat discussions you need to have a long career of consistency so my question remains just up there until he proves or disproves.

I feel you forgot Lebron.

Stockton probably made the exact same play to Malone 5-10 times per game that he didn't get an assist for. Same with the earlier play on the wing when Curry passed the ball out and the other guy took 3 dribbles and went from outside the 3 pt line where he was spotted up in for a dunk. They are getting pretty damn liberal on what is an assist.

....doesn't matter how they count assists these days....NOBODY is catching Stocktons career totals! Now the sad thing about it is if Ostertag didn't have hands of stone, Stockton would have at least another 500-1,000 more assists and than many less turnovers!

Greatest offensive back court player of all time?

Are you forgetting about...umm...Michael Jordan?