What's new

Wireless Internet Help

AtheistPreacher

So I'm having issues with my wireless network. It all conked out yesterday, and I had to reset both the router and the modem. However, for some reason it wiped out all the settings and encryption on the router. Not sure why, it's never done that before.

In any case, I re-did the SSID and the same WPA2 encryption key as before. Now my own home laptop works, my roommate's PS3 works... but my work laptop doesn't. It's an ancient Dell running XP. I've already tried removing the wireless profile and re-adding it, multiple times... no joy. I also can't do a lot of the driver checks etc that I would do otherwise, because it's the company's computer and I have no admin privileges. However, that shouldn't matter, it worked fine on this connection for 6 months, and only stopped working yesterday when the router got reset.

Works with an ethernet cable, but I need the cable for my IP phone... we don't have enough slots on the router for me to connect both, so I need to resolve this.

Any ideas? My company's IT guys are mandated not to waste time on emplyees' home networks, so I can use any help I can get.

I don't know if this just sounds stupid but I have an old Dell and you can flip on and off the wifi with Fn+F2. Sometimes that works for me.

Also you can see what the driver was by the Dell service tag on the bottom of the computer and reload the driver (if you can convince your work people to give you admin for a second to do so).

Or you could always try just picking up a little usb wifi thumb size adapter.

Is it only WPA2 that is is being difficult? How WEP or other types of encryption?

Good luck

I don't know if this just sounds stupid but I have an old Dell and you can flip on and off the wifi with Fn+F2. Sometimes that works for me.

Also you can see what the driver was by the Dell service tag on the bottom of the computer and reload the driver (if you can convince your work people to give you admin for a second to do so).

Or you could always try just picking up a little usb wifi thumb size adapter.

Is it only WPA2 that is is being difficult? How WEP or other types of encryption?

Good luck
Nah, the wi-fi is definitely on. I can see the network fine, I just can't connect to it.

As for the WEP vs WPA2, I don't want to change it for now and mess up my roommates with a new key, although I may be forced to it eventually. Again, this was working just yesterday, so I'm thinking I should be able to get it to work again with the same settings.

One other detail: when I remove the wireless profile, I can still see the network broadcasting, but when I try to connect, it doesn't prompt me for a password, it just says it "may be out of range." But I doubt that's the problem, since my other laptop is in a different room and works fine, while I'm in the same room as the router with this one and no joy. Grr...

I've also tried changing the wireless channel a number of times, that doesn't work either.

FYI, I finally resolved this. All I had to do was change from WPA2, which it turns out the ancient Dell my work gave me didn't support, and go to WPA. It's always the simplest, stupidest things...

Mods, please delete....thanks.

I'm not sure there's a setting to delete users, I think we're stuck with you vinylone!

j/k

(I meant to say, I think we're fortunate to be graced by your presence for the foreseeable future ... Love, Moe)