What's new

With the 35th Pick... Jarnell Stokes (traded)

Are we sure it is for a 2nd round pick. Chad Ford says it is for a 2016 first round pick...

Utah
(Rights traded to Grizzlies)
Jarnell Stokes 6-9 262 PF
Tennessee

Analysis:
The Jazz will send Stokes to the Grizzlies for a 2016 first-round pick. Stokes was another guy who ranked very high in analytics models. Clearly, the Grizzlies are still watching the numbers. He can really rebound, and his numbers were almost identical to Julius Randle's last season.

Complete guess... They send us cash and let us know they won't be matching an offer on Ed Davis. If we sign Ed Davis I am assuming this is what happened. We were way too nice here. I understand we couldn't bring in3 rookies to an already young team but you gotta make best use of all assets.

Explain. What rule changes?

If they make kids stay in college for 2 years like apparently Adam Silver wants. In response the top prospects in the 2017 draft will reclassify up a year into this 2016 draft, to potentially miss the cutoff.

Thon Maker (a top '16 player) already has said he will decide on this in December. Also the 2017 draft looks absolutely LOADED, I could legitimately see an Exodus from 2017 into 2016 happening.

Caleb Swanigan the 13th ranked prospect by Rivals in the HS class of 2016 has already made the jump to 2015.

Are we sure it is for a 2nd round pick. Chad Ford says it is for a 2016 first round pick...

Utah
Tennessee

Analysis:
The Jazz will send Stokes to the Grizzlies for a 2016 first-round pick. Stokes was another guy who ranked very high in analytics models. Clearly, the Grizzlies are still watching the numbers. He can really rebound, and his numbers were almost identical to Julius Randle's last season.

If its for a 1st round pick I really like this trade. What a draft!!!

Utah
Tennessee

Analysis:

They have traded their 2015 pick so can't trade 216 first. They own Toronto and Boston 2nd round picks in 2016... My guess is we get the better of those picks. They already traded their own 2016 2nd.

Utah
Tennessee

Analysis:

His Twitter feed is saying second rounder:

https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider
Chad Ford @chadfordinsider · 52m
Grizzlies will send the Jazz a 2016 2nd round pick for the draft rights to Jarnell Stokes.

Hmmm, looks like it's just the 2nd rounder. DesNews beat writer confirms:

Jody Genessy ‏@DJJazzyJody 1m
The Jazz simply traded 35th pick Jarnell Stokes to Memphis for the Grizzlies' 2016 second-round pick. That's it.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];857041 said:
im losing my ****ing **** over here
Lol

I couldn't understand it at first, but then I thought about the humanity and class of it. Yes, we could have drafted miciic and stashed him, or someone else and sent them to the Dleague, but is that the best thing for them? Stokes was wanted by Memphis. Someone wants him to play in the NBA. In a weird way, I am kind of glad that the Jazz aren't messing with or stunting someone's career by stashing them because they think they have enough young players.

A hgh 2nd rd pick in a deep deep draft for a likely crap second rd pick in a normal draft seems like crap value, but it will be our 3rd 2nd rder that year. Couple those 3 w/ our 1st rder that year, and we could have some assetts to package. Obviously a 1st rder would have been better, but I refuse to be mad about this draft.

we got Dante Exum, and Rodney Hood w/o Spending a Dime!!!!

F- on this trade. There were some players with GREAT potential on the board at 35. It's not like the Jazz don't have roster space. Oh, I forgot we have to return some old favor to JLII and keep his son on the team. My favorites were Tavares, Clarkson - even Corey Jefferson. Why do the Spurs always hit it out the park with their 30th and 60th picks?

This explains it, kind of what I assumed:

Jody Genessy ‏@DJJazzyJody 4m
Regarding that second-round trade, the Jazz simply didn't want to bring in three rookies and that Memphis deal was the best they could get.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More