What's new

Woj: Jazz agree to 3-team trade with Lakers and Timberwolves

I think our options at the deadline were to get 2nds for Vando, a lottery protected 1st for Beasley, but take back bad contracts and be stuck with Mike's contract next year, or the deal we took. So in essence we chose to use two second round picks to upgrade the first round pick and open up a bunch of cap space.

It does feel like we super valued cap space next year, and it will be interesting how we use it. It doesn't feel like we should be banking on free agency, but maybe I'm wrong.

I think our options at the deadline were to get 2nds for Vando, a lottery protected 1st for Beasley, but take back bad contracts and be stuck with Mike's contract next year, or the deal we took. So in essence we chose to use two second round picks to upgrade the first round pick and open up a bunch of cap space.

It does feel like we super valued cap space next year, and it will be interesting how we use it. It doesn't feel like we should be banking on free agency, but maybe I'm wrong.
Pretty much agree.

Just started a new thread on this... the cap space element will provide value either for roster building or to get some additional picks. Anyone giving the trade a thumbs down right now needs to factor in whatever draft assets or player we sign into their evaluation later.

Lakers beat writer Dave McMenamin just now on ESPN said that a source close to the Lakers told him that by getting rid of Westbrook they removed a vampire from the locker room because he was sucking all of the blood out of the locker room.

Maybe he's not the great teammate and locker room guy some were trying to tell me he is yesterday. So glad the Jazz are going to buy him out.

View: https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/1623750549387501568

Make him rip tickets in the foyer

If this is true, then this makes giving them Conley and letting them unload DLo for assets a bigger mistake than letting the Lakers protect their pick. It still likely ends up being conveyed in a decent range, but DLo’s negative energy could’ve really hurt the wolves this year - instead of them getting a steady-handed guy like Mike to steer the ship.

Yeah. But even with all that, the Lakers filled out their rotation with this trade. The Wolves need to be more than steady to win the play-in. They have a serious hill to climb against improved competition.

If this is true, then this makes giving them Conley and letting them unload DLo for assets a bigger mistake than letting the Lakers protect their pick. It still likely ends up being conveyed in a decent range, but DLo’s negative energy could’ve really hurt the wolves this year - instead of them getting a steady-handed guy like Mike to steer the ship.
This is assuming they couldn't get something different in a trade. It seems based on rumors they had multiple options. They seemed like they were trading him regardless of us.

Conley might help them, he also might struggle with a new system like he did with us for the first half season or so. He also doesn't have a great health record especially when he gets pushed hard and I think minny is going to want a lot of minutes from him and isn't going to rest him on back to backs. But that's just my guess.

Is anyone here SLC Tribune subscriber? Would love to hear what Zanik said about this trade and why they made it.

This thread is hilarious to read now. So many people saying we got fleeced by Minnesota lmao.

Minnesota is 5-9 since trading for Conley/NAW including 0-5 at home. They were 30-28 before the trade and are 35-37 now.

Vanderbilt is averaging lower stats across the board. Beasley’s shooting splits with the Lakers are 39/35/64.

We are 7-7 since the trade. Our record before the trade was 27-29. The guys we traded obviously weren’t that valuable as 99% of the board thought at the time. I tried telling everyone.

This thread is hilarious to read now. So many people saying we got fleeced by Minnesota lmao.

Minnesota is 5-9 since trading for Conley/NAW including 0-5 at home. They were 30-28 before the trade and are 35-37 now.

Vanderbilt is averaging lower stats across the board. Beasley’s shooting splits with the Lakers are 39/35/64.

We are 7-7 since the trade. Our record before the trade was 27-29. The guys we traded obviously weren’t that valuable as 99% of the board thought at the time. I tried telling everyone.
50% of the trade was great. Those guys needed to go.

The other half still sucks.

For me it wasn't about what we traded (I was fine with trading all those guys and wanted to trade Conley for years) it was what we got.

What exactly should we have gotten for the players we traded?
To rephrase what I think you were aiming at: we sent out mostly hype/basically nothing and got a pretty sexy pick and cap space.

I still feel like this was a salvage of a much better trade they could have pulled off in August but it is what it is.