What's new

Woj: Jazz agree to 3-team trade with Lakers and Timberwolves

Recap? There is a pay wall.
Andy used some pick value estimation charts from different analysts where pick 1=100 and pick 60=1. Basically first round picks are worth way more than second round picks.

Andy tried to estimate the value of each of our 2nd round picks we sent out vs the first round pick that we got. If you subtract the value of the picks we sent out vs the one we got you can try to estimate how much value we got in the trade. If the LA pick ends up a top 4 pick or bottom 4 pick, we lost value in the trade. The most likely scenario is that our value was that of a late second round pick. So basically we traded Conley, Beasley, Vando, and NAW for a late second round pick.

I think basically what it confirms is that Danny Ainge places 0 value on second round picks.

Andy used some pick value estimation charts from different analysts where pick 1=100 and pick 60=1. Basically first round picks are worth way more than second round picks.

Andy tried to estimate the value of each of our 2nd round picks we sent out vs the first round pick that we got. If you subtract the value of the picks we sent out vs the one we got you can try to estimate how much value we got in the trade. If the LA pick ends up a top 4 pick or bottom 4 pick, we lost value in the trade. The most likely scenario is that our value was that of a late second round pick. So basically we traded Conley, Beasley, Vando, and NAW for a late second round pick.

I think basically what it confirms is that Danny Ainge places 0 value on second round picks.
He has hit on 2 2nd rd picks his entire career those were Ryan Gomes and Etwaun Moore. That was 17 and 12 years ago respectively. We should all be concerned with how poor he is at recognizing talent outside the top 10 since most of our future picks will probably be outside the lottery. One of the best things that the jazz have done over the years is finding some solid 2nd rd picks and undrafted free agents to fill key roles.

Nah, I think we tank next season. Can see us pulling a Golden State so we keep our first round pick instead of losing it to Oklahoma City. Could be a strong draft class in ‘24 if high schoolers end up in it. And I am totally convinced we will never see the first round pick from the Lakers. They will tank their butts off that year. This has to be about cap space and future moves but it really feels like we flushed assets down the toilet.
If we tank next year then maybe we should trade Lauri

How is the Lakers top-4 protected first in 2027 really any different than the Minnesota top-5 protected first in 2029 value wise? They both convey immediately to a second if the pick falls within the protection.
I would say its not any different. In fact I would say the laker one is better.

After good Rudy Donovan trades Danny lose team for nothing. We give up Bogdanovic too soon and now this fire sale for possible 2nd round disaster. Cleary worst trade in Uth history.

You guys are acting like we traded the farm. We traded a starter and two bench players. What the **** do you expect?
We traded 4 solid to good players and 3 2nd round picks for 2 players that probably won't contribute, 1 player that probably will never play here and the only thing we received was a possible #1 that is really only a guaranteed 2nd. I think the Wolfs dragged their feet long enough to get some revenge for the Rudy trade.

Danny had to let a couple teams fleece him after the heists he pulled this summer
I thought the Bogey deal was bad because it was one player for a worse player with no draft assets attached. I thought surely there was a first round pick out there for him (there should have been). Danny shopped it hard though and came up empty. Pistons were open for business and got no takers. IDK that we can say he got fleeced there.

He made a couple weird trades I didn't like. I think the KO one was money motivated and he though Walker wouldn't be ready as quick as he was. I didn't like it cuz it hurt the tank... I could see the thinking but didn't like the deal.

THT he just had a wildly different evaluation of the player than I did.

The Westbrook deal is good.

If this leads to us getting a top-4 pick the trade is automatically a win regardless of the Lakers pick in my opinion.
What makes we are likely to get a top 4 pick? It's highly unlikely we get any lower than 10 to 12.

Last edited:
I would say its not any different. In fact I would say the laker one is better.
aside from bad luck and the Pels getting Zion from it, when have the Lakers had a lottery pick that wasn't theirs? I am sure they have, but I cannot think of many compared to small market treadmill teams or forever tankers.
The Lakers should be terrible then on paper with Lebron and AD gone, and they are a poorly run org. But to think they won't be tanking the year before that is the mistake people on here are not thinking about I guess?
I think the 27 pick is highly unlikely to be very good.

What makes we are likely to get a top 4 pick? It's highly unlikely we get any lower than 10 to 12.
It is very likely we go lower than 10... if we lose in Toronto tomorrow we are already there.

Losing Mike/Vando/Beasley/NAW and replacing the minutes with more Sexton/THT/Fontechio/and more Ochai will mean a significant amount of losses. We are like 2 games away from being in the 6 spot. None of the teams below us closed up shop.

I thought the Bogey deal was bad because it was one player for a worse player with no draft assets attached. I thought surely there was a first round pick out there for him (there should have been). Danny shopped it hard though and came up empty. Pistons were open for business and got no takers. IDK that we can say he got fleeced there.

He made a couple weird trades I didn't like. I think the KO one was money motivated and he though Walker wouldn't be ready as quick as he was. I didn't like it cuz it hurt the tank... I could see the thinking but didn't like the deal.

THT he just had a wildly different evaluation of the player than I did.

The Westbrook deal is good.
I think if KO didnt have the injury we could have gotten something from him. He's really dipped from his start. I know that was starting to happen before the injury to a degree, but it got worse after the injury.

I think if KO didnt have the injury we could have gotten something from him. He's really dipped from his start. I know that was starting to happen before the injury to a degree, but it got worse after the injury.
I just wish he'd shoot the damn three more instead of his BS pump and go. His value is as a stretch big and he can shoot... so LFF as Quin used to say.

Worst case we waive him next year and he only costs like 3M. There weren't a lot of good salary dumps unless you wanted Grahamn and 4 seconds or whatever it was.

I just wish he'd shoot the damn three more instead of his BS pump and go. His value is as a stretch big and he can shoot... so LFF as Quin used to say.

Worst case we waive him next year and he only costs like 3M. There weren't a lot of good salary dumps unless you wanted Grahamn and 4 seconds or whatever it was.
Yeah, most teams are in decent places financially. There arent a ton of terrible contracts. I dont think cap-space is as valuable currently as it was a few years ago.

It is very likely we go lower than 10... if we lose in Toronto tomorrow we are already there.

Losing Mike/Vando/Beasley/NAW and replacing the minutes with more Sexton/THT/Fontechio/and more Ochai will mean a significant amount of losses. We are like 2 games away from being in the 6 spot. None of the teams below us closed up shop.
I was referring to a 10 to 12 draft pick.