What's new

Would you pay $30/month for ESPN a al carte?

ESPN A LA CARTE

• Yes

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only if it starting show nudity

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
I get a better deal after promos etc. with my current package and enjoy the other channels I get for just a few bucks more than that.

Ridiculous. I can get virtually all the same content online, which is largely why we don't even have TV service anymore and haven't for going on 3 years and haven't missed it much. Web content is rapidly killing traditional TV.

Ridiculous. I can get virtually all the same content online, which is largely why we don't even have TV service anymore and haven't for going on 3 years and haven't missed it much. Web content is rapidly killing traditional TV.

I feel like at some point the unlimited streaming bubble will burst for these online streaming services and we'll actually have to start paying real money for it. I'm paying $8/month for Netflix, or about $100 less, which isn't even in the same ballpark as the cost for cable. I almost feel like I'm stealing stuff, even though I'm not. If/when traditional cable does get killed off, I think all this stuff is going to start costing a lot more.

Oh well. We'll see. I'm enjoying it for now.

If that actually happened.....that would just confirm what I've long suspected... Scrooge McDuck is running things behind the scenes at Disney currently. That would be a load of....poppycock. But I'm still in as long as Disney agrees to throw in a lifetime family pass to Disneyland on top of it. Why not just a la carte ESPN programming itself and charge even more? Who is in for a SportsCenter monthly subscription @ $50?

I would pay root sports $15-$25 per month a la cart during the Jazz Season. I do not watch TV other than Jazz games. Sucks I should have to pay upwards of $100 per month just so I can watch games. As it is now, I go to the bar. Prolly spend the same amount of cash but meet cool *** people and get nice and toasted too. Win win.

I would gladly pay for channels ala carte. I wouldn't subscribe to espn until October though.

As for amount, I think the bar has been set between 7-10 already by the Netflix, amazon, hulus out there. Not to mention aereo.

I just get pissed off when I scroll through my directv channels looking for something to watch. How many shopping channels do we need exactly?

I cut the cord for three years but agreed to a stupid contract to watch the jazz in December after getting tired of poor quality arguably illegal options. Now I get to deal with this for the Utes games next month because directv doesn't have those channels. My $80 a month is doing me good.

That's it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using JazzFanz.com mobile app

I feel like at some point the unlimited streaming bubble will burst for these online streaming services and we'll actually have to start paying real money for it. I'm paying $8/month for Netflix, or about $100 less, which isn't even in the same ballpark as the cost for cable. I almost feel like I'm stealing stuff, even though I'm not. If/when traditional cable does get killed off, I think all this stuff is going to start costing a lot more.

Oh well. We'll see. I'm enjoying it for now.

I could see Cable Companies raise their rates on internet service, possibly charging more for streaming or heavy-users. They are going to get our money one way or another. I've never really had cable for extended periods, always just felt like I was wasting money considering I don't watch it that much. I do like watching ESPN but $30 a month is WAAAYYYY too much.

Last edited:
Quote from Article:

"The report underscores what economic studies have said time and time again - that the cable package presents an undeniable value and the consumer would pay more and get less with a la carte," ESPN spokeswoman Amy Phillips said.

I've heard this argument so many times but it just doesn't make any sense. Just because you're adding channels doesn't mean you're adding value. It's only a value to someone if they watch it. All of my friends that have cable admit that they only watch a few select channels regularly. If you cable bill could drop by 30-40%, and you lose all the channels you don't watch, would you do it?

If I could get PBS and Root Sports I'd cancel all the other garbage. 78 jazz games a year seems worth it.

Quote from Article:

"The report underscores what economic studies have said time and time again - that the cable package presents an undeniable value and the consumer would pay more and get less with a la carte," ESPN spokeswoman Amy Phillips said.

I think that's a spin against the point. Yes, we would all prefer a single cost for unlimited as opposed to paying per episode, for example. However when 95% of the channels I get are worthless, I'm going to question why ala carte doesn't make sense.

Fact is that espn makes the majority of their money from cable subscribers that never flip on their channel. They get a guarantee per subscriber and ala carte wouldn't be able to generate the same revenue because you and I won't pay for the three other households on our street that don't watch their channel.

I think that's a spin against the point. Yes, we would all prefer a single cost for unlimited as opposed to paying per episode, for example. However when 95% of the channels I get are worthless, I'm going to question why ala carte doesn't make sense.

Fact is that espn makes the majority of their money from cable subscribers that never flip on their channel. They get a guarantee per subscriber and ala carte wouldn't be able to generate the same revenue because you and I won't pay for the three other households on our street that don't watch their channel.

This and you have to keep bumping up your package to get ALL of the ESPN channels which of course include a lot of other stations you could care less about.

Of course the Cable/Satellite folks will battle this tooth and nail because losing ESPN would be a killer, just like Netflix Hulu and other streaming options have been.