What's new

Would you rather be lucky or talented?

Lucky or Talented?

• Total voters

Nightmare

Due to popular demand I will be making some polls (that first part was a lie).

What is more important, luck or talent? Rather, what would you rather have? Many talented people end up complete failures, yet is luck that reliable? If your lucky enough I guess it is. To me being supremely talented is not necessary and can be overcome with work ethic many times with exceptions of course (as long as you have average talent).

I am going with luck.

Note: public poll

Umm... Talent like LeBron James? or like talent to play the piano?

Luck like winning the lottery? Or finding $5 on the ground?

What a gawdawful thread.

If the luck is consistent and effective in financial endeavors (gambling, lottery, raffles/drawings, etc) Then I take luck by a landslide.

Also would be nice to be lucky health wise

That's like asking if I'd rather be talented or untalented. You know, because there is no meaning to being 'lucky' without providing context.

Umm... Talent like LeBron James? or like talent to play the piano?

Luck like winning the lottery? Or finding $5 on the ground?

What a gawdawful thread.

Are most people you consider more successful then yourself in life (whatever your criteria for success is) more likely to have achieved that success due to luck, or due to talent?

As far as gawdawful thread, we can't win them all.

So you're asking if I'd rather earn my accomplishments or have them handed to me? And you picked the latter? Classy.

So you're asking if I'd rather earn my accomplishments or have them handed to me? And you picked the latter? Classy.

Well too be fair someone who is talented doesn't have to work as hard to accomplish something that someone of less talent has to.

In the short run it's all about luck. In the long run, there's no such thing as luck.

Talented, not even close.

Well too be fair someone who is talented doesn't have to work as hard to accomplish something that someone of less talent has to.

But being in the right place at the right time does help. Would I have rather loaned $5K to help Bill Gates start up his business out of his garage or $5K to a relative who avoids my calls.

Would I rather be extremely talented and be passed over for a promotion or be chosen as a CEO because the former one suddenly passed away?

Maybe have a little of both? Have the luck to meet a nice attractive female in line at the grocery store. And the talent to make her happy and satisfied thereafter. ;)

Being talented is lucky. As a wise man once said "Hard work beats talent only when talent doesnt work hard."

Many people in this world are born with out any above average ability or traits. Even if you never make anything of your life with your talent, simply knowning that you stand above your peers in any way at all is the truest form of luck.

Its even more than that its a blessing.

Last edited:
Definitely the ability to fly. If you had super strength people would always be bugging you to lift stuff. Invisibility is for perverts and thieves.

Definitely the ability to fly. If you had super strength people would always be bugging you to lift stuff. Invisibility is for perverts and thieves.
Invisibility please