What's new

Your kids in Football?

gregbroncs

1st some background. When I was a kid I loved playing all sport but mostly football. My parents would never let me play competitive football. I was really good at football and begged every year to play. The answer was always no.

So 25 some odd years later my wife and I were talking and I told her our kids could play any sport they want, except football. When she asked why I explained that it just seems like there are too many life altering injuries in football. I am honestly glad that I was not allowed to play. I have enough pains from sports injuries and getting older that I can't imagine having football injuries tacked on top of them.

Now today it sounds like Jr. Seau has committed suicide. Take what you want from that.

So my question is...Would you as a parent allow your kids to play football? And why or why not?

Do not have any kids but grew up playing Football into College.

This is my view point.

If my kids want to play Football, they absloutely will. There are life lessons that are learned through sports and in particular Football in my opinion. Also I feel that our society (20-40 year olds) who have kids now OVERPROTECT our kids too much, thus we are missing the boat on having them learn and teach valuable lessons.

Before anyone jumps me for my opinion, I would respond with, if you are not going to allow your kid to play Football then you better not let them Ski, Soccer, Swim (As that olympic swimmer just had a heart attack), hockey, or even Drive a Car for that matter. There are many life changing injuries that happen all the time, expecially in driving a car, so we better not allow our kids to do that.

I've had a few concussions in my life... starting at a young age and only 1 came from a football when I was in Jr. High. The others came from running into a pole full speed when I was 6 (Was looking another way), slamming a basketball after jumping off a trampoline in the rain and falling 10 feet onto the back of my head, and during a fight in high school in which I got rocked while not looking.

My point is, Football to has taught me so many things that to this day (33 years old) that I apply daily into my life. Quit overprotecting your kids and allow them to live and learn. You turned out alright doing stupid stuff that 'could' have caused injuries but you lived.

I don't have kids yet, but there isn't much risk going up through the pee wee leagues so even if you oppose the idea I think letting your kids see what they can do/if they even like the game early in their life is the better route than banning football participation altogether. Chances are, the desire to play further would wane naturally.

Personally, I'm going to be supplying USC and BYU with point guards and quarterbacks from my litter. I pretty much have to because all my brothers and sisters have a bunch of goobers for kids that will probably be into dancing or acting in school plays.

Bro little kids don't hit hard at all. I think the most serious injury I've seen in like 4 years of pop warner was a sprained ankle.

My parents wouldn't let me play football until high school (by then I was not interested in playing it). I thought they were idiots, but now that I'm a parent, I totally understand. But if one of my sons really wanted to play, I would probably let them.

Fortunately, my oldest (11) hates team sports. He loves golf, snowboarding... things he can do on his own. His younger brother (9) pretty much follows his example, so we haven't really done the team sports thing. My saturdays still belong to me.

This is my view point.

If my kids want to play Football, they absloutely will. There are life lessons that are learned through sports and in particular Football in my opinion. Also I feel that our society (20-40 year olds) who have kids now OVERPROTECT our kids too much, thus we are missing the boat on having them learn and teach valuable lessons.

Before anyone jumps me for my opinion, I would respond with, if you are not going to allow your kid to play Football then you better not let them Ski, Soccer, Swim (As that olympic swimmer just had a heart attack), hockey, or even Drive a Car for that matter. There are many life changing injuries that happen all the time, expecially in driving a car, so we better not allow our kids to do that.

I've had a few concussions in my life... starting at a young age and only 1 came from a football when I was in Jr. High. The others came from running into a pole full speed when I was 6 (Was looking another way), slamming a basketball after jumping off a trampoline in the rain and falling 10 feet onto the back of my head, and during a fight in high school in which I got rocked while not looking.

My point is, Football to has taught me so many things that to this day (33 years old) that I apply daily into my life. Quit overprotecting your kids and allow them to live and learn. You turned out alright doing stupid stuff that 'could' have caused injuries but you lived.
Not going to jump you for your opinion. Kind of what I was looking for. As well as conversation regarding this. I played Basketball and Soccer competitively most of my childhood. I don't think your comparisons are relevant though. Soccer, Skiing,Swiming and driving you have a lot more control and injuries are far less severe or less frequent. Believe me I understand that injuries occur playing all sports. I feel they are more frequent, more severe and longer lasting playing football.

I also don't believe in protecting your kids from all things. To me football is just one of those things where injuries seem inevitable.

I would almost allow my kid to play pop warner football. It's high school that I would not sign the release for.

I grew up playing football into highschool. I love the game and have an 11 year old son. He's never played because he's never wanted to, but I'm now of the opinion that I wouldn't let him play if he were to change his mind. IMO, football has been evolving for the last 2 decades and we're starting to see the results. Richard Dent and Junior Seau are 2 very sad and compelling examples of that.

6'4", 260lb linebackers that run a 4.6 forty are not supposed to exist. 20 years ago, they didn't exist. Now, the league is chock full of them. I believe the hits are getting harder from highschool on up and we're starting to see the toll that it is taking (especially in regards to head injuries). When my dad played highschool football, you goofed off for nearly 10 months of the year and then played football once the season rolled around. As soon as it was over, you went back to goofing off. When I played highschool football, you had summer conditioning, 7-on-7 passing camps, the season itself, and then a football conditioning class for the rest of the year that counted as a PE credit. Obviously, building these athletes only gets more intense as you get into the college and pro levels.

As much as I love football, I firmly believe the athletes that are being produced from highschool on up are out-pacing the ability to protect players. In fact, there probably isn't a way to properly protect players from the type of athletes that are currently playing the sport at it's highest levels.

This is my view point.

Totally agree bro.

And the Seau analogy by the OP means nothing. It's very likely the typical I don't know what to do with my life any more after retirement and am not getting the attention or endorphins I'm used to depression or suicide we see in many pro athletes. If not, and it's more personal, it still is a bad analogy.

I played football, starting at the Pop Warner level and into High School. Yes, I suffered some injuries, one of which I carry with me today and causes me frequent pain (it would require back surgery to repair). I have two sons and I CANNOT WAIT until they're old enough to sign them up for football.

This sort of dialogue reminds me of the discussions that a lot of people have here in Edmonton, regarding whether they want their kids in Hockey or not. Edmonton is a hockey city through and through, but I know my kids will never play a single season of the sport. A 16 year old kid died a few weeks ago mid-game, due to getting a puck to the neck after he tried to block a shot. Scary stuff.

Totally agree bro.

And the Seau analogy by the OP means nothing. It's very likely the typical I don't know what to do with my life any more after retirement and am not getting the attention or endorphins I'm used to depression or suicide we see in many pro athletes. If not, and it's more personal, it still is a bad analogy.

If that's the case, why do ex NFL and NHL'ers have a higher suicide rate than that of other athletes? Are NBA and MLB players just not as competitive? Do they not miss the attention and endorphins as much once they retire? Is it just pure luck that the 2 sports who have the most concussions and head injuries also have higher suicide rates?

Now that they've been able to study the brains of ex NFL and NHL players, there's just too much evidence of excess brain damage and dementia to simply dismiss it as guys offing themselves because they miss the game, have gone broke, etc.

If that's the case, why do ex NFL and NHL'ers have a higher suicide rate than that of other athletes? Are NBA and MLB players just not as competitive? Do they not miss the attention and endorphins as much once they retire? Is it just pure luck that the 2 sports who have the most concussions and head injuries also have higher suicide rates?

Now that they've been able to study the brains of ex NFL and NHL players, there's just too much evidence of excess brain damage and dementia to simply dismiss it as guys offing themselves because they miss the game, have gone broke, etc.
This is why I mentioned it in the OP. Also why I said make of it what you will. Because it could be argued whether or not it is part of the game. He actually has a good point as well. There are problems with athletes in other sports. It just seems to be more often with football players.

Head injuries are the biggest reason my son will not play football in high school. Pop Warner I may be okay with (I still doubt it though), as the hits are much less dangerous.

I am too lazy to look around for the article on football related brain injuries. But the gist of it was some brain injuries cannot be avoided. It is luck of the draw for what they affect. Also developing brains (i.e. adolescents) are more easily injuried.

I just had a son born the other day and I will not sign a release to let him play football ever. If he wants to play he can make that decision for himself when he is 18. The risks outweigh the benefits IMO.

Bro little kids don't hit hard at all. I think the most serious injury I've seen in like 4 years of pop warner was a sprained ankle.

So you haven't seen any pop warner games then? I have seen broken arms, legs, ankles, dislocated elbows, shoulders, knees, concussions ..... That being said, I only have a daughter right now, but if I had a son I think I would let him play. Can't protect them from everything, I have also seen most of these injuries on playgrounds at school. So its dangerous, but so are a lot of things.

So you haven't seen any pop warner games then? I have seen broken arms, legs, ankles, dislocated elbows, shoulders, knees, concussions ..... That being said, I only have a daughter right now, but if I had a son I think I would let him play. Can't protect them from everything, I have also seen most of these injuries on playgrounds at school. So its dangerous, but so are a lot of things.

Both of my older kids (7 and 4 now, but they were about 5 and not quite 4 at the time) got concussions riding their bikes in front of my house. They were both wearing helmets at the time.
Personally, I think the risk of injury is no reason to not let your kids play a specific sport. I'm not judging those who make that decision, but it's not the decision I will make.

Fair points. I'd argue two things. The first and one that stands out more is that the NFL and NHL are much more team-oriented than the other two sports. These players very well may miss that brotherhood between players. They busted their *** both individually in the off-season and then as a team, and there was a unique bond there, that when they retired, was just gone. That's a huge void. Secondly, NBA'ers are naturally lazy as **** (most of them) and MLB'ers have been and can be much more than other sports like the NFL or NHL imo (i.e., John Kruk) and weren't as historically hardcore with physical fitness until the last 20 years or so. Even still, an MLB'er can have one or two "tools", such as speed and a bat (based more off of hand-eye coordination, a batter's discipline and eye, and reps) that takes less commitment than a sport like the NFL in which if you slide just a little, you can be cut. I'd also argue that I'd guess we will see a little more suicides in the world of MLB over the next 10-15 years as those who really did steroids, HGH and such, and were more "committed" to their craft, feel lost without it.

Last edited: