What's new

Zimmerman arrested again

If I weren't on teh tapatalk I'd insert a gif of someone eating popcorn right here.

£¥£

Got you covered

Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

Believe it or not there is no law against following someone one single night, even if it is to their home, as long as you do not make threats or otherwise assault the individual. It might be irritating but it isn't illegal.

I once followed some guy on the freeway from the freeway at bangerter all the way to clearfield. He was driving like a douche, so I definitely noticed him, and once or twice even pulled in front of him after he passed me just because I could and it fit in the flow of traffic, then he would find a tiny niche and get his giant 4x4 roaring to get around me, and others, again, obviously pissed. I followed him off the same exit into clearfield, then believe it or not, directly behind him into my sister's neighborhood. He pulled over a few houses before my sister's house, at his own house presumably, and I had slowed down as I was approaching her house, so I suppose it looked like I was slowing down in front of his house, and he got out and ran around his truck gesturing and yelling at me. I debated driving around the block first, but decided that was crap to have to do that and pulled over in front of my sister's house like 3 houses down and he followed me, swearing and waving his arms. I was afraid to get out so I rolled down the window a crack and he "asked" me what the **** I was doing following him all the way from salt lake city and did I want to get my *** kicked. I explained quietly that my sister lives right there and I was just getting off work and was coming here for a family dinner, that I wasn't following him and that it was just coincidence. He called me a liar and threatened me again, so I called my sister and she came out and he got red-faced, still pissed, and stormed off.

What might have happened if I had jumped out of my car and gotten in the guy's face? What if he had just gone inside and ignored the whole thing?

If Martin had just gone home, had not doubled-back, and gone inside he would presumably be alive today, even if Zimmerman had followed him to his very doorstep. Even if he had done so swearing at him, calling him the N word and threatening to kill his family, if the kid had just gone home he would likely still be alive today.

But like GF said, there is an entire thread devoted to this, with some good commentary on both sides. Anyone interested can go read it all there.

So you agree with every verdict a jury has ever handed down? come on.

No but if that is the case I will say I do not agree with them, but I will not pretend to know more about the evidence than they do, when there is no way in hell I saw more of it then they did in as unbiased a way as they did. Everything we get its filtered by the media, who wants people riled up and pissed off, so it is all spun this way and that to elicit the strongest response, regardless of whether it is true or not. At least the jurors saw ALL of the evidence, and had both sides explain it to them in somewhat reasonable terms, unlike the crap we have to wade through to try to get to the core of it all.

Technically, you could legally still shoot them in most states as long as they are still on your property, but that doesn't mean you should.

I have a 9 mm for primary home defense (have more guns than that, but the 9 is the one I have available to me readily). My family can all shoot it, and most of us can shoot it well. It isn't hard to handle, it is a M9A1. I also have its cousin a Beretta 92FS. These guns are nice because they are a little heftier than a smaller CCW (also have a beretta cheetah for that), and we have found the added weight helps control recoil and makes it easier for my wife and daughter to shoot.

We started with a training course our local police department offered on home protection. They allowed us to bring our own weapons or they provided service weapons to practice with. It was a 5 week course (met once per week) and they let us use their range one other time during the week for practice. There was almost always an officer there practicing when we went to practice who helped us out. They talked about gun safety, what to expect in a home invasion, what to do for each family member, how to confront if we had to, and a lot about how to handle the weapon. It was a great program and we felt much better prepared afterward, and we now practice at least twice a month.

When we have practiced shooting we practice shooting "center mass", meaning on a human sllhouette that is in the middle of the chest or upper stomach area. That is what the police program taught, that and they recommended more than a "double-tap". The idea, if you are practicing for the possibility of such an event, is to hit the target somewhere that will neutralize the threat. Center mass does that very well. But it has the side-effect of often being fatal. It is awful hard to take home security seriously without considering the high likelihood of killing the intruder. I agree with GF that bragging about how good you are at double-tap/headshots is stupid at best, but I will tell you that if someone put my family at risk I will do what I can to stop them from hurting anyone. That means, for my family at least, more than a double tap.

We practice putting 5 bullets in an 8-inch circle from 20-30 feet with fairly rapid-fire. My 12 year old daughter is the worst of us at this, and she still gets 3, maybe even 4, of the shots in the circle before the recoil and fast trigger pull take her out of the circle, coincidentally she almost always goes higher on the last 2 shots or so and ends up in the head of the silhouette for her last couple of shots. My son and I can put all 5 bullets inside a 4 inch circle from 30-40 feet and sometimes further. From 20 feet my wife can put 3 bullets nearly in the same hole then the next 2 wander a bit. I don't plan on pissing her off any time soon.

Anyone who is seriously thinking about using a gun for self-defense in any way, whether home defense or concealed carry, needs to accept that using that weapons means neutralizing the threat, which almost always will carry a fairly high risk of inflicting a fatal wound. Only on TV and in the movies can people accurately shoot to disarm or wound, and firing a "warning shot" is foolish in the extreme.

This.

I don't get people who own guns but who don't take practice seriously. The guy who is carrying a gun he's never shot boggles my mind. I would never in a million years carry a gun that I hadn't fired at least a few hundred rounds through. That's one reason I wouldn't use a 10mm as a carry gun. The ammo is too damn expensive. Give me a low recoil 9mm round that can be fired from a compact gun comfortably and carried easily. The ammo is easy to come by and is relatively cheap. Makes practicing a little easier on the pocket book and on the wrist.

Yeah, shooting center mass isn't much different than shooting to kill. The difference is in the mind of the shooter, I guess. Stopping the threat should be the goal and the most reliable way to do that and to minimize the risk to innocent bystanders is to shoot center mass.

Agreed. Carrying a gun you have never shot is a recipe for epic disaster, especially one as powerful and unwieldy as a 10mm, which is nearly a useless round imo considering there are other rounds just as powerful with more manageable recoil and cheaper ammo. 10mm is a round to tell people you own because it sounds cool, but not much beyond that. I didn't even enjoy shooting them due to the very sharp recoil with heavy muzzle climb, it feels like it wants to flip out of your hand. And I have shot 10mm in 4 or 5 different brands, all with the same recoil pattern more or less.

I am with you, a 9mm that you can handle is perfect. My cheetah is a phenomenal CCW. Very light on recoil due to the excellent slide design, very reliable, and highly accurate, not to mention compact and easy to carry. If I carry, which is rarely, I usually carry the cheetah. My wife has a 380 she carries when she does (SIG P238), which is even more rarely than me, but it's recoil is just this side of non-existant and it is also very accurate, and being a SIG it is extremely well-made. Very very fun plinking gun, awesome CC, and highly customizable. It is kind of blocky but still a great-looking gun. Hers has contoured and textured wood grips, blued slide and receiver, glow in the dark sights, and expanded clip with a pinky-rest. Highly recommended.

I agree with this and disagree too. I've been around guns all my life and am comfortable with any standard pistol or rifle. I don't feel a need to practice regularly and have shot maybe 50 rounds through my home defense .40. I don't conceal carry and on that I agree regular aim training is a duty.

Where I agree -- a single mother at work is scared of guns but wanted the home protection. She's a 2x widower and found Mr. 1 dead suicide by gun. She kept saying she'd go for the knee caps. Several separate gun owning, cc coworkers plus myself advised her to not get a gun.

I agree with this and disagree too. I've been around guns all my life and am comfortable with any standard pistol or rifle. I don't feel a need to practice regularly and have shot maybe 50 rounds through my home defense .40. I don't conceal carry and on that I agree regular aim training is a duty.

Where I agree -- a single mother at work is scared of guns but wanted the home protection. She's a 2x widower and found Mr. 1 dead suicide by gun. She kept saying she'd go for the knee caps. Several separate gun owning, cc coworkers plus myself advised her to not get a gun.

For me personally I feel like you do. I am very confident with guns, and probably don't need much more "practice". I shoot for fun mostly, and have semi-competitively. But I like having my kids have their turns with the guns fairly regularly to make sure they are comfortable with them, and understand their safe use. Plus over the years I have found it is important to do with the kids as they grow since their abilities change as they get stronger and less- then more-corrdinated. On top of that it makes for a fun afternoon with the family away from the stupid computers and TV.

And good advice for your coworker.

Believe it or not there is no law against following someone one single night, even if it is to their home, as long as you do not make threats or otherwise assault the individual. It might be irritating but it isn't illegal.

I once followed some guy on the freeway from the freeway at bangerter all the way to clearfield. He was driving like a douche, so I definitely noticed him, and once or twice even pulled in front of him after he passed me just because I could and it fit in the flow of traffic, then he would find a tiny niche and get his giant 4x4 roaring to get around me, and others, again, obviously pissed. I followed him off the same exit into clearfield, then believe it or not, directly behind him into my sister's neighborhood. He pulled over a few houses before my sister's house, at his own house presumably, and I had slowed down as I was approaching her house, so I suppose it looked like I was slowing down in front of his house, and he got out and ran around his truck gesturing and yelling at me. I debated driving around the block first, but decided that was crap to have to do that and pulled over in front of my sister's house like 3 houses down and he followed me, swearing and waving his arms. I was afraid to get out so I rolled down the window a crack and he "asked" me what the **** I was doing following him all the way from salt lake city and did I want to get my *** kicked. I explained quietly that my sister lives right there and I was just getting off work and was coming here for a family dinner, that I wasn't following him and that it was just coincidence. He called me a liar and threatened me again, so I called my sister and she came out and he got red-faced, still pissed, and stormed off.

What might have happened if I had jumped out of my car and gotten in the guy's face? What if he had just gone inside and ignored the whole thing?

If Martin had just gone home, had not doubled-back, and gone inside he would presumably be alive today, even if Zimmerman had followed him to his very doorstep. Even if he had done so swearing at him, calling him the N word and threatening to kill his family, if the kid had just gone home he would likely still be alive today.

But like GF said, there is an entire thread devoted to this, with some good commentary on both sides. Anyone interested can go read it all there.

Yes because there would be a "Zimmerman arrested again" thread without the Martin case.

I am so out of line to post about it.(especially because you disagree with me) I have the feeling that if I agreed with you me posting here would be absolutely appropriate.

Yes because there would be a "Zimmerman arrested again" thread without the Martin case.

I am so out of line to post about it.(especially because you disagree with me) I have the feeling that if I agreed with you me posting here would be absolutely appropriate.

I have no idea when this supposedly turned into an attack on you personally, unless you feel that making it personal is the only way you have of winning the argument. You are free to post wherever you want, I (and GF) was merely pointing out that there is a whole other thread on the previous Zimmerman case, and this thread was made to talk about the most recent case. Go bump the other one and see how many people might want to discuss that other case again, because it has all been hashed and rehashed.

Or go ahead and keep posting here. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Does anyone wonder if he could have murdered her too and gotten away with it? I guess if she were handing his *** to him he could have blown her away in self defense. But still! He couldn't take a lil teen so why wouldn't he blow away his lil girl?

Does anyone wonder if he could have murdered her too and gotten away with it? I guess if she were handing his *** to him he could have blown her away in self defense. But still! He couldn't take a lil teen so why wouldn't he blow away his lil girl?

He could hypothetically, I don't know, bang the back of his head on the sidewalk not that hard and probably get away with it.

A) The victim being a minor had nothing to do with it. That is thrown out there as an inflammatory statement.

B) Lots can happen between the "follow" and "shot". And apparently the jury thought that enough did happen that it left them doubting whether it was murder or not.

C) I try to consider that maybe the jury saw more of the case than we did, and still found the way they did, no matter how confident we are that the bits of the case the media chose to spin our way painted the complete and total picture.

No but if that is the case I will say I do not agree with them, but I will not pretend to know more about the evidence than they do, when there is no way in hell I saw more of it then they did in as unbiased a way as they did. Everything we get its filtered by the media, who wants people riled up and pissed off, so it is all spun this way and that to elicit the strongest response, regardless of whether it is true or not. At least the jurors saw ALL of the evidence, and had both sides explain it to them in somewhat reasonable terms, unlike the crap we have to wade through to try to get to the core of it all.

I have no idea when this supposedly turned into an attack on you personally, unless you feel that making it personal is the only way you have of winning the argument. You are free to post wherever you want, I (and GF) was merely pointing out that there is a whole other thread on the previous Zimmerman case, and this thread was made to talk about the most recent case. Go bump the other one and see how many people might want to discuss that other case again, because it has all been hashed and rehashed.

Or go ahead and keep posting here. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Yep. I've done all the posting on this subject.

Again there is an entire internet between us. If you don't want to talk about it or respond it's simple. Don't.

or just continue to pretend that I have somehow sucked you in.

Last edited:
No you don't.

Throw out your smug *** bs about not wanting to get into it.

Between me and you is the internet, if you don't want to get into then don't. Please refrain from being a dismissive *** hole, or you will get the same in turn.

Ps I read that whole damn thread.

Lol, easy there Mr. Thug. GF came at you politely and you want to act like a hard ***. If you had picked a better target it would have been funny. But since you didn't it comes off as Short Man Syndrome.

The jury felt there was not enough evidence to support convicting him of murder. That is the bottom line. It's not what you know it's what you can prove. They could not prove that he murdered him according to the definitions of the law. You cannot go convicting people based on what you think happened. We start doing that and it breaks down completely.

This guy shoulda been put away a long time ago. But the jury didn't:

Pick one
A. Have the evidence to say he murdered someon
B. Have the conviction to say "yeah, this is bs"
C. Have the cajones to say "we don't need your kind in society, please fix that before rejoining us"

I'm over it. In the long run a person always shows their true colors, like Zimmerman here. Not enough evidence for murder, ok fine. I got it. Enough evidence for aggravated assault? Highly likely. I'll let the justice department take that road, and get a conviction even if just for misdemeanor assault(up to $500 fine and up to 60 days in jail).

The road I will take: he clearly doesn't understand what responsible gun ownership means, and the burden of responsibility it carries. We don't have enough to put him away (dirty shame), so let's strip the guy of his gun owning privileges.

https://usgovinfo.about.com/blnoguns.htm

After the trial for assault and battery(which will likely end up a basic assault charge) against his girlfriend, the last item on that list should qualify him, I believe:

Persons who have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

So, Florida, you've a chance to redeem yourself after the Bush vs Gore election, your drug test for food stamps program, and the initial mishandling of the Zimmerman case. Strip him of his rights. Let's make it happen.

The jury felt there was not enough evidence to support convicting him of murder. That is the bottom line. It's not what you know it's what you can prove. They could not prove that he murdered him according to the definitions of the law. You cannot go convicting people based on what you think happened. We start doing that and it breaks down completely.
Regardless of what happened in that court, I think it's clear that he's largely responsible for the death of Trayvon Martin. The circumstantial evidence, especially the now 6 "alleged" physical confrontations he's had as an adult (3 against women, 1 against an old man, 1 against a teen and 1 against a cop), paint a pretty clear picture of what sort of man Zimmerman is. If this dude moved to my neighborhood, I'd do all I could within the bounds of the law to get him to leave. To me, that's the take away. No sympathy for a cowardly wife beater who turns to fatal force when the confrontations he starts don't go his way.

Regardless of what happened in that court, I think it's clear that he's largely responsible for the death of Trayvon Martin. The circumstantial evidence, especially the now 6 "alleged" physical confrontations he's had as an adult (3 against women, 1 against an old man, 1 against a teen and 1 against a cop), paint a pretty clear picture of what sort of man Zimmerman is. If this dude moved to my neighborhood, I'd do all I could within the bounds of the law to get him to leave. To me, that's the take away. No sympathy for a cowardly wife beater who turns to fatal force when the confrontations he starts don't go his way.

Oh I am not attempting to paint him as a person worhty of sympathy. I think his main problem is impulse control. He cannot control himself. He is responsible for the death of Trayvon. It is entirely possible that he murdered him in cold blood. Just couldn't be proven.

If this keeps up he might make himself such a target that he gets taken out. He is just cementing that he is guilty int he Martin case in the minds of the public. Being in the publics eye is the last thing he should want.

Lol, easy there Mr. Thug. GF came at you politely and you want to act like a hard ***. If you had picked a better target it would have been funny. But since you didn't it comes off as Short Man Syndrome.

Back Handedly polite, maybe. This always boils my blood. If you want to be dismissive I'm cool with that but don't cover it in a veil of platitudes.

I did not pick a target, but reading through it yep I was being a jerk.

Please don't think I'm one of those whiny short guys. Whiny maybe short no.

Back Handedly polite, maybe. This always boils my blood. If you want to be dismissive I'm cool with that but don't cover it in a veil of platitudes.

I did not pick a target, but reading through it yep I was being a jerk.

Please don't think I'm one of those whiny short guys. Whiny maybe short no.

I guess I can see how you took it that way. I don't think he meant it that way though. GF is easily a top 3 poster on this board and a generally good guy.

I guess I can see how you took it that way. I don't think he meant it that way though. GF is easily a top 3 poster on this board and a generally good guy.

yeah reading back through it he probably didn't, but like I said it boils my blood.