What's new

1-11

Kyoto

Trey is averaging 13 attempts a game and only making 5 of them with only 4 assists in 30 minutes a game. WHY are you guys saying this guy is good? What about him and his play says "career PG for the Utah Jazz"? I know his game has picked up a little since being benched but really his averages are terrible. He seems like the new Enes Kanter of the team. Good scorer but doesn't fit his role with the team.

He clearly isn't the future as a starting PG, having put the offensively challenged and often lost young puppy named Exum as the starting PG sure seemed to convey that message... Burke is going to have to mature a lot if he wants to have a long career in the NBA, right now he is headed for the 2nd unit PG / offensive sparkplug off the bench territory, but even to fulfill that role, he will need to become more efficient long term.

The hope is that next season with Burks back, some more offensive help from some Vets + Progress from Gobert/Exum + a quality rookie, etc, the team will have more offensive firepower, giving each player just a tiny bit more breathing room to be more efficient offensively. Hopefuly this helps Burke.

But right now, his career isn't headed in the right direction, that's sure.

He definitely lacks consistency. I wouldn't be surprised if he jump shoots himself out of the league eventually. If he can begin finishing around the rim, he might be able to become a good pro. I also noticed that he was lazy on his defensive rotations in the first quarter of the Knicks game, that is not going to endear you to Coach Q.

... but he has played well coming off the bench as a second team scorer. We can't discount that.

My fear is he is becoming a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde type of player. Will he be clutch or will he throw up a donut? Hopefully, next year he becomes more consistent.

From Locke, to put things in perspective.

Trey has to stop having nights like this. Trey has had 20 games where he’s shot 30% or less (32% of his games) and 15 games where he has shot 25% or less (24% of his games). You can’t have games like this every third of fourth time out.

Burke's biggest problem is that he is prone to inconsistency, and he can't have an impact on the game if he's shooting badly. For example, Hayward could still play solid defense, rebound and make passes to set up teammates even if he's having a rough shooting night. Trey's only got his shot. He's got one of the better midrange shots in the league, but that's not the most reliable weapon. He needs to learn to have an impact on the game besides scoring.

He clearly isn't the future as a starting PG, having put the offensively challenged and often lost young puppy named Exum as the starting PG sure seemed to convey that message... Burke is going to have to mature a lot if he wants to have a long career in the NBA, right now he is headed for the 2nd unit PG / offensive sparkplug off the bench territory, but even to fulfill that role, he will need to become more efficient long term.

The hope is that next season with Burks back, some more offensive help from some Vets + Progress from Gobert/Exum + a quality rookie, etc, the team will have more offensive firepower, giving each player just a tiny bit more breathing room to be more efficient offensively. Hopefuly this helps Burke.

But right now, his career isn't headed in the right direction, that's sure.

Clearly? I wouldnt say that. Hes in his second year, and has had some great moments. Consistency and having really ****ty nights like last night are his issue. Writing his future off now is just insane. Id say its leaning towards that now, but he can still improve and get better.

Clearly he is talented, but too inconsistent right now to lock him up as THE guy for the future.

But if we are being honest here, hes got things that right now that Dante doesnt have yet. Things that you cant teach.

Clearly? I wouldnt say that. Hes in his second year, and has had some great moments. Consistency and having really ****ty nights like last night are his issue. Writing his future off now is just insane. Id say its leaning towards that now, but he can still improve and get better.

Clearly he is talented, but too inconsistent right now to lock him up as THE guy for the future.

But if we are being honest here, hes got things that right now that Dante doesnt have yet. Things that you cant teach.

I am not writing him off, I am just saying that he isn't, so far, starting PG material : too lax defensively, too foolhardy and inefficient offensively. There is a reason why he was moved to the second unit, it wasn't solely so that the second unit would have more scoring punch, it was because as a starting PG he was overall hurting the team more than an inexperienced and offensively shy to the point of quasi-paralysis Exum. This says a lot. He's got to get his head straight, because otherwise he is on a pretty slippery road. It can all change of course, but so far it isn't going well.

Well, he does have confidence and aggression that Dante does not have now. You maybe cannot teach those but a guy can acquire them. On the flip side, Dante has things that Trey does not, that you cannot teach nor acquire. Like speed, height, vision, athleticism. Trey is just too short and slow to be an impact player, unless he is an absolutely stellar shooter/passer. Dante is way behind him right now on offense, vastly better on D already.

He's got to get his head straight, because otherwise he is on a pretty slippery road. It can all change of course, but so far it isn't going well.

It can only "all change" if he figures out how to grow 3 inches and gain a lot of speed. The combo of those is really not acceptable, short and slow. Killer on D, highly restraining on O.

He can be a nice sparkplug off the bench...but he can also be a disaster. Really inconsistent. Still, he does have a knack of hitting timely shots and there have been games where he's carried the team in droughts.

Hate his inconsistency, but he is a good kid and I love his attitude. The fact that he has accepted losing his starting spot to a 19 year old with no college experience shows that he is a good teammate. He is a perfect spark plug off the bench. He is not afraid to take the big shot. His attitude is something that I hope rubs off on Exum. Even with all of his limitations I love the kid.

Hate his inconsistency, but he is a good kid and I love his attitude. The fact that he has accepted losing his starting spot to a 19 year old with no college experience shows that he is a good teammate. He is a perfect spark plug off the bench. He is not afraid to take the big shot. His attitude is something that I hope rubs off on Exum. Even with all of his limitations I love the kid.

I will give him that too: I am very impressed with his attitude, and surprised.

It is getting close to the time to ask is Trey Burke better than an average replacement player.

Think about it. Trey provides shot-creating skills and clutch shooting. The problem is he misses most of the shots he gets and can't create free throw attempts. His defense at its best is average.

Does anyone not think Neto is better than Burke if we are looking for an offensively minded PG off the bench?

So maybe trade while we can get something would be good.

Burke's biggest problem is that he is prone to inconsistency, and he can't have an impact on the game if he's shooting badly. For example, Hayward could still play solid defense, rebound and make passes to set up teammates even if he's having a rough shooting night. Trey's only got his shot. He's got one of the better midrange shots in the league, but that's not the most reliable weapon. He needs to learn to have an impact on the game besides scoring.
From your perspective, what would be the easiest thing for him to add?

Like?

Hate his inconsistency, but he is a good kid and I love his attitude. His attitude is something that I hope rubs off on Exum. Even with all of his limitations I love the kid.

Are you referring to him not playing team defense and consistently pointing the finger at his teammates?

Maybe you mean his fastbreaks where he has an open teammate be decides he's going to take it in himself?

Or maybe you're referring to how he dribbles around with the ball in his hands for most of the shot clock and then shoots a contested shot.

He is still learning how to play the NBA game. We've seen him add the floater and improve his paint scoring. He is going to have nights like this. Hopefully they become less and less frequent. Not having Gordon is a big deal for him too. Puts more scoring/playmaking pressure on him.