What's new

Who Would You Rather Have: Herro or Holiday?

Assuming price is relatively equal, who would you rather have?

• Herro

• Holiday

Results are only viewable after voting.

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
Jrue Holiday: Is 33 years old and makes 35 million dollars. Has a player option for next year he will certainly decline unless he has a catastrophic injury. Will be extension eligible in March. What a Holiday extension would look like, I have no idea, but he's coming off a very strong season and hasn't shown too many signs of aging.

Tyler Herro: Is 23 years old and will average about 30 million per year over the next 4 seasons. Coming off a strong shooting season, but statistically rehashed what he did in his 3rd year.

Holiday doesn’t make sense given the Jazz’s timeline. Herro is an upgrade over what we currently have, and fits that timeline… he is just so expensive and in my opinion he isn’t that much better over what we currently have in relation to how much more money he makes.

However, the Jazz need to take opportunities wherever they can to consolidate assets and they can’t be too picky. So if we got Herro I’d shrug and embrace it.

I would assume we could get Holiday to opt in and add one year to his current deal in an extension. Given that he has already talked about hanging em up at some point in the near future that seems fair.

Tough question but ultimately I think the price we would have got Herro at is quite a bit lower than what Jrue will go for... I think Ainge is a value hunter so pursuit of either will depend on the value.

I will go with Holiday assuming that the trade price is exactly the same. He creates less current roster fit issues and solves some problems.

For what cost? I wouldn't necessarily be looking for either of them. But if it's a choice between which one I'd have, independent of cost, I'd go with Holiday. The reason being is that he'd be a better bridge for helping us be competitive now as the other guys grow into their roles and develop. Having someone like Herro is a guy I'd feel like would create crowding or get in the way later down the road, whereas Holiday could be more short-term; or that he could help us win now and serve his purpose and then be gone, whereas Herro maybe kinda helps us win now and maybe kinda helps us win in the future.

For what cost? I wouldn't necessarily be looking for either of them. But if it's a choice between which one I'd have, independent of cost, I'd go with Holiday. The reason being is that he'd be a better bridge for helping us be competitive now as the other guys grow into their roles and develop. Having someone like Herro is a guy I'd feel like would create crowding or get in the way later down the road, whereas Holiday could be more short-term; or that he could help us win now and serve his purpose and then be gone, whereas Herro maybe kinda helps us win now and maybe kinda helps us win in the future.
Holiday will be more costly than Herro for sure. That's part of the reason Milwaukee took less picks and prospects to get him instead of Herro.

I hate timeline talk so much lmao.

If you get Herro, you are keeping him for 3-4 years. I doubt he would be a long long term piece. I still think a lot of fans have this fantasy in their head about young guys staying on the team for 7+ years and having all your young talent peak at the same time and that's becoming increasingly less likely.

I think Jrue has another 3 good years left in him, so if you are planning on getting off both after 3 years, is timeline really important? Obviously Herro will probably have more trade value when that time comes, so that would be the biggest plus to Herro.

The Jazz were able to get off an aging Mike Conley and gain a big asset despite the fear mongering around the contract we gave him at his age.

Holiday will be more costly than Herro for sure. That's part of the reason Milwaukee took less picks and prospects to get him instead of Herro.
I think you're correct, but that difference is going to be +/- one pick.

Supposedly (if the rumors are believed to be true) Utah was ready to give up 1 pick for Herro. Maybe they have to give up 2, or 1 and a swap, for Holiday.

Holiday only having a year left on his deal will be hard for some teams to deal with given he's going to want a pretty sizeable extension.

I think you're correct, but that difference is going to be +/- one pick.

Supposedly (if the rumors are believed to be true) Utah was ready to give up 1 pick for Herro. Maybe they have to give up 2, or 1 and a swap, for Holiday.

Holiday only having a year left on his deal will be hard for some teams to deal with given he's going to want a pretty sizeable extension.
I think he might go for a one year extension on top of his PO year. Like Ingles did. If he did that I might give up more than I would for Herro. We don't really have an ****** picks so the quality of our 2 picks is pretty high. Jrue/JC/Lauri/Collins/Kessler makes a lot of sense. I think we are much more likely to still go for Herro over Holiday in part because of age and in part because of price.

I agree somewhat on the timeline thing... Holiday is a ****ing tank... not worried about him falling off a cliff.

I think he might go for a one year extension on top of his PO year. Like Ingles did. If he did that I might give up more than I would for Herro. We don't really have an ****** picks so the quality of our 2 picks is pretty high. Jrue/JC/Lauri/Collins/Kessler makes a lot of sense. I think we are much more likely to still go for Herro over Holiday in part because of age and in part because of price.

I agree somewhat on the timeline thing... Holiday is a ****ing tank... not worried about him falling off a cliff.
Yeah, that would be ideal, but Holiday is good enough to where that probably has to be a 2 year extension.

And I like Herro, but the fit is pretty weird. We would have to give up THT and Sexton and that would leave us with nearly zero rim pressure from ball-handlers for the foreseeable future until we are able to make a deal for a better guard. Herro just makes team building a bit harder given the fact that the Jazz still want to go big.

So are you both advocating we give up two picks and a combination of THT/KO/ or CS to get Jrue?

I think a contender can do that to push them over the edge while convincing themselves that Jrue will stay in a good situation… I just don’t think the Jazz are there yet (aka timeline).

So are you both advocating we give up two picks and a combination of THT/KO/ or CS to get Jrue?

I think a contender can do that to push them over the edge while convincing themselves that Jrue will stay in a good situation… I just don’t think the Jazz are there yet (aka timeline).
I would not do two picks for Holiday personally but I wouldn't hate it per se. If he would agree to a one year extension on top of the PO year. I understand the timeline thing but I think you could get some value if you traded him later.

I don't think we are in on Holiday though.

Sure, why not?

I dont believe in timeline all that much or waiting around for stuff to happen.

Lauri is 26 years old and is going to be in his physical prime for the next 2-3 years, why not put pieces around him that will let him succeed? What message are we sending to Lauri if we dont look to improve when we are sitting on a treasure trove of assets?

How much are we holding back the development of Collins/Lauri/Walker/Ochai by making them play with PG's like Sexton/THT/Clarkson? Not saying those former 3 are bad players, but they arent ideal for making others around them better and are all actively learning how to be more of a "PG".

Under normal circumstance I would say Jrue however he was publicly contemplating retirement 5-6 months ago. He seemed to be walking that back recently though. He can also opt out of his contract next summer so is basically a rental. I wouldn't mind him at all, it would also help to consolidate this roster, but not keen about giving up 2 FRP's which is what the Blazers apparently want. It would also be a huge step back at his age to go from a legit contender to playing for a rebuilding Jazz team.

My concern with Herro is that he is another volume shooter. The Jazz will be basically bringing back their squad from last season so how would they find enough shots for both Collins and Herro who are both volume shooters? These guys are not Vandy, KO, Conley types that don't need to launch shots to be effective. Consider that Clarkson will probably be in the starting unit too. My guess is Lauri would be the one to sacrifice shots playing alongside Herro, Collins, and JC which is no bueno.

Like IDK, it's hard for me to be Scrooge McDuck over 2 picks when we own more than I can remember.
Would need an extension understanding to go that far... imagine lighting 2 picks on fire for one year of Jrue. Even if you got a lot of picks you still need to spend them wisely.

Another angle is that we do need to preserve some cap space next year to facilitate the re-negotiate and extend with Lauri.