What's new

2019 NBA draft day thread

The Suns were pure hilarity on draft night.

They trade TJ Warren who is a 25 year old averaging 19 and 18 points per game on high efficiency the previous two seasons AND the #32 pick in a salary dump for nothing but cap space. The dude was on a bargain deal. He's only making 10.8 mill next year. He was a POSITIVE trade asset not a player that needed to be dumped.

Oh but it gets worse (or better if you're looking for amusement).

They trade #6 for #11 and Dario Saric. They massively reach for Cam Johnson at 11. And Saric adds 3.4 million back to the books.

Then they trade their 2020 Milwaukee 1st to acquire Aaron Baynes and #24. Baynes adds 5.5 million back to the books effectively ruining the idea of why they dumped Warren in the first place. At 24 they reach for Ty Jerome.

So in total...They gave up an asset and a player with positive trade value just to save 1 or 2 mill, instead of gaining an asset for him. In his place are two lesser players. And they reached for both of their picks.

YIKES. Thank God I wasn't born a Suns fan. Thanks for the laughs tho Phoenix.

The Suns were pure hilarity on draft night.

They trade TJ Warren who is a 25 year old averaging 19 and 18 points per game on high efficiency the previous two seasons AND the #32 pick in a salary dump for nothing but cap space. The dude was on a bargain deal. He's only making 10.8 mill next year. He was a POSITIVE trade asset not a player that needed to be dumped.

Oh but it gets worse (or better if you're looking for amusement).

They trade #6 for #11 and Dario Saric. They massively reach for Cam Johnson at 11. And Saric adds 3.4 million back to the books.

Then they trade their 2020 Milwaukee 1st to acquire Aaron Baynes and #24. Baynes adds 5.5 million back to the books effectively ruining the idea of why they dumped Warren in the first place. At 24 they reach for Ty Jerome.

So in total...They gave up an asset and a player with positive trade value just to save 1 or 2 mill, instead of gaining an asset for him. In his place are two lesser players. And they reached for both of their picks.

YIKES. Thank God I wasn't born a Suns fan. Thanks for the laughs tho Phoenix.

I liked they players they drafted, but like you said they could have gotten them both later.

I think the Jazz really like Claxton, and they also liked Keldon Johnson, who was still on the board. However, I'd be curious to know if the Jazz would have taken Nas Little. Kabengele and Windler were probably both on their shortlist too.

Sam Vecenie had Utah in one of his 6 favorite drafts.

Utah Jazz — On some level, we have to throw the Mike Conley acquisition into here, given that the No. 23 pick was one of the two main inducements for the deal along with the likely 2022 first rounder that they traded to Memphis. That deal makes them a legitimate contender next season. But even beyond that, I think they did a great job of using three late second-round picks to acquire talent. First, they took Jarrell Brantley, who is an interesting fit as a potential playoff center due to his unique defensive ability to guard up and down the lineup. Then, they took Justin Wright-Foreman, who is a terrific scorer and has the potential to stick because of that. Finally, they took Miye Oni out of Yale, a potential 3-and-D wing with toughness and intelligence who fits exactly what the Jazz look for. Not only did they make themselves better now, but I think that out of that trio of picks, at least one guy ends up sticking for them, and I wouldn’t be totally shocked if it turns out to be two.

JWF was also one of his 7 favorite 2nd rd picks

Justin Wright-Foreman — Wright-Foreman would have been the second guy I wish I’d ranked a touch higher. This dude is just a walking bucket who can get to his pull-up with ease and knock down jumpers. He has the look of a prototypical backup lead guard who can get buckets at the next level. He handles the ball tight to the ground and has the shake to get by his opponent. I’d bet he spends most of his time in the G League next year, but he’s one to watch long-term.

Reactions: SCS
Are there other reasons why Foreman and Brantley weren’t in the first round other than playing for lesser known schools?

Both seem like first round talents to me, not only were thy not in the first round but went late second, not even early to mid second round.

This makes it seem like the Jazz absolutely knew they weren’t going to end up with Oni as an undrafted free agent. That’s a massive price to pay for a late pick. Would’ve just been better buying picks early. Reminder that GSW paid less cash and a 2024 pick to get #41. I’ve got no problem with aggressive, but they paid more by being cautious to begin with.