What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

Yes?

Do I have a history of making serious, completely unrealistic, trade scenarios?

I don't know. I don't whine enough about other people to notice.

But in all seriousness, what was completely unrealistic about the idea I presented. You think NOLA would have an issue with an initial offer of Exum, 2 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks for expiring Mirotic and Jrue Holiday in a PG heavy league?

shipping AD to the east is the best outcome for us. West is already stacked with talents, and we don't want any further complications in fighting for the playoffs. And in terms of AD's likely destination I hope Nets gets him. One or two of D'angelo/Dinwiddie/Levert + RHJ/Harris/Kurucs + a couple of picks should be able to get the job done. Boston can ** themselves.

Tough question. I think my answer is "not unless AD has indicated some desire to play for Utah long term". Because if AD doesn't want to play for the Jazz we're not talking about Rudy vs AD for just 2.5 seasons. We're talking about Rudy for 15 seasons vs AD for 2.5 seasons.

Couldn't do it... Rudy is too much of our identity and has completely bought into what we are doing. He is really underrated when it comes to the general NBA in winning basketball games. Some markets can trade anyone... I don't think we could do it with a guy that means this much to the franchise and it's heart.

I don't know. I don't whine enough about other people to notice.

But in all seriousness, what was completely unrealistic about the idea I presented. You think NOLA would have an issue with Exum, 2 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks for expiring Mirotic and Jrue Holiday in a PG heavy league?
Jrue Holiday and Mirotic and we only give up Favors Exum Sef and a first is not happening. Why is New Orleans giving up their remaining best players to get some mid tier first rounders, some low ceiling players, and the privilege of taking the terrible Biyombo contract? They don't even get Favors! The best non Pelican being moved.

I could see Toronto throwing Siakham, OG, and JV on the table for AD... Ujiri has some freaking stones. They are all in on this year anyway right? If it doesn't work flip AD this offseason if you need to re-build.

Who are the teams who want and have the expendable contracts for Jrue Holiday?

Toronto - but they don't have a pick
Portland - they could use McCollum I guess
Detroit - they would love him
San Antonio - but they lack a good young asset
Charlotte - he fits there
Denver - does NOLA want Millsap and a pick in a later year?
Orlando - would take a 3rd team wanting a bad contract
Phoenix - not going to send their pick
Sacramento - they don't have a pick

None of the other teams make sense because they are either in tank mode or don't have a contract(s) to send back to make it work.

Exum, 2 1st round picks and even Grayson isn't a bad offer.

Jrue Holiday and Mirotic and we only give up Favors Exum Sef and a first is not happening. Why is New Orleans giving up their remaining best players to get some mid tier first rounders, some low ceiling players, and the privilege of taking the terrible Biyombo contract?

I don't think it's completely crazy, but we are assuming Exum has value... he likely doesn't... I don't think Niko has a ton of value unless they take on salary. Jrue is such a flexible piece that I think more than a few teams would line up to make offers. Like Porty could add him and play him at the three... I could see Indy throwing either Turner or Sabonis into that type of trade. Lots of teams would have interest.

Jrue Holiday and Mirotic and we only give up Favors Exum Sef and a first is not happening. Why is New Orleans giving up their remaining best players to get some mid tier first rounders, some low ceiling players, and the privilege of taking the terrible Biyombo contract? They don't even get Favors! The best non Pelican being moved.

They would rather have Biyombo than Favors this year because they go into tank mode. That's why they would trade Jrue in the first place.

On the current roster, Jrue, AD, Mirotic and Randle are the only players with any value. Well, 2 of those guys are expirings which means they get very little back in a trade. The last guy is Jrue who is paid quite a bit. In a league full of starting PG's, there isn't going to be a huge market for a $27 million PG/SG who is not the main guy.

Who are the teams who want and have the expendable contracts for Jrue Holiday?

Toronto - but they don't have a pick
Portland - they could use McCollum I guess
Detroit - they would love him
San Antonio - but they lack a good young asset
Charlotte - he fits there
Denver - does NOLA want Millsap and a pick in a later year?
Orlando - would take a 3rd team wanting a bad contract
Phoenix - not going to send their pick
Sacramento - they don't have a pick

None of the other teams make sense because they are either in tank mode or don't have a contract(s) to send back to make it work.

Exum, 2 1st round picks and even Grayson isn't a bad offer.
Exum's contract still seems overpriced and Grayson will likely be out of this league in a couple of years. At least that's how other teams see those two.

Rubio and Favors for Mirotic and Holiday. Plus we throw in 2 1sts. This year unprotected and a top 10 protected 1st in 2 years.

Rubio and Favors for Mirotic and Holiday. Plus we throw in 2 1sts. This year unprotected and a top 10 protected 1st in 2 years.

If they can flip Rubio and Favs for stuff and involve more teams then they might be inclined.

I think there is a much better chance they deal Holiday this offseason after they've had a chance to reset themselves. We think these things can come together quickly... they generally don't. My guess is they deal with AD/Randle/Niko because they need to... everything else can wait.

Could likely steal Niko for some seconds, but he's hurt... so who knows if he can even get on the court with any regularity.

Yeah, I can't see Exum having any real value on his current deal, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see it.

If you are a team like NOLA and you're trading AD, you know that you are planning for the long haul. No matter what, you have to spend money on a roster. So you try to find guys who have really high potential and hope they pan out.

Exum is the type guy you take a chance on. If he becomes great, awesome. If he doesn't, you had to spend the money anyway.

Regardless, spending almost $30 million a PG in his prime even though you are concentrating on tanking is just bad business.

I like Niko, but right now I would not do Favs for Niko straight up. Favs is healthy and contributing... integrating a guy takes time.

I like Niko, but right now I would not do Favs for Niko straight up. Favs is healthy and contributing... integrating a guy takes time.

I agree. I would only trade for Niko by himself by using Thabo and some assortment of smaller contracts (Neto, Niang, Bradley).

Thabo, Niang, Bradley and 2nd rounders works for Niko

I don't think NOLA goes in the tank, they lose the team to a different city if they are trash for a prolonged stretch. I think they'll try to get some real players, keep their dudes and hope for a 'Denver after Melo' situation.

If you can get Niko for Thabo/Udoh and seconds (plus maybe some cash) maybe you do it. But then you also have to commit to putting Favs on the bench as backup center and starting Crowder or Niko (prolly Crowder)...

I think that ship has sailed for now.

I don't think NOLA goes in the tank, they lose the team to a different city if they are trash for a prolonged stretch. I think they'll try to get some real players, keep their dudes and hope for a 'Denver after Melo' situation.

Yes and no... like if they "lose the team" what does that mean to the ownership/management? They would likely sell the team (at a huge profit) and another guy would move it. Looks bad for the Bensons, but not their fault and they own the Saints... so maybe they don't care. The team has been bottom 10 in attendance with AD here... gate receipts go down more sure... Benson won't go broke. They'd make a bajillion dollars on the sale.