What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

Then again it's a weird decision for the Pistons to trade Bullock if they were confident that they were getting Conley. Because Bullock has been their best wing player this season.

Also they may have to trade Kennard in the Conley deal. Which would mean their top 2 wings are gone.

Seriously though, Kuzma is an example of why you obtain Conley. At that point you are only a random gold strike (Kuzma, Green, Donovan, Harris) away from true, sustained championship contention. It is easier to luck into the last step than to maneuver the last two or three. Each step you can lock in, you do that, even if you don't really know what the last step looks like.

Is Satoransky a 20/8 guy though? I get that trading for Conley imposes an opportunity cost and restricts the other moves we can make, but if we add Conley, we're only one more move away from being elite.
He isn't right now. But I like his upside. Again, where else can you find a 6‘7” PG who can make plays, create shot on his own and also shoot 40% from deep? His game honestly makes me think of Lowry/ Dragic before their “breakout” season. He just needs to leave WAS for a bigger stage. Plus he is already used to playing next to ball dominate guards.
To me, Conley is a "safe" pick that doesn't offer much of upside due to his age, size disadvantage and big salary, like what everyone's been saying about him for the past 20 pages or so.

Also they may have to trade Kennard in the Conley deal. Which would mean their top 2 wings are gone.
This trade sends $1+ more to Detroit:

Conley and Temple to Detroit

Jackson, Kennard, Leuer, Galloway to Memphis

Of course Detroit adds picks, but both teams are below the luxury.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Yep this. You grab Conley because you are going to compete, getting rid of Bullock is the opposite of that. You are giving away a good player for cap relief. Lakers didn't just give up a first for Reggie Bullock when they are trying to use those firsts to get the Brow. That has to be a second.

Detroit shed a little salary. Only one million but any time a small deal like this happens it makes you wonder if a bigger deal is to blame. I wonder if the Pistons got Conley.

upload_2019-2-5_21-39-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-5_21-39-11.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-5_21-39-11.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: SCS
Then again it's a weird decision for the Pistons to trade Bullock if they were confident that they were getting Conley. Because Bullock has been their best wing player this season.
My thoughts exactly, Bullock has been a stud for them and I'm not sure why they'd trade him if they're wanting to win now which is what the Conley rumours suggest. Good deal for the Lakers depending on what the pick is

Conley with 25 points and 9 assists tonight.
6-11 from 3

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I honestly have no idea if the trade the Pistons just made makes them more or less likely to land Conley.

Prepare to have your hearts broken

Indeed. If we do end up trading Ricky a large part of me will be heartbroken. I like Ricky a lot as a player and a person. Last season was one of my favorite seasons ever as a Jazz fan and Ricky was a big part of that amazing team chemistry. Seeing that core group be split would be rough. That's the NBA though. Nothing stays the same forever.

Portland is a team with its own set of problems, and the Lillard/McCollum backcourt isn't really one of them. It's that they don't have anyone else who can reliably create and knock down a shot.

If you want an example of a 'small' backcourt that seems to be working, try Kyrie Irving and Marcus Smart in Boston.
Celtics can play small ball which differs from teams like the Jazz and Blazers that always have one traditional big man on the floor who can't help guard the perimeter, which puts more pressure on the backcourt. And as brilliant as Kyrie has been, his limitation is definitely there. That's why I don't really see Boston as a championship contender over Toronto and Milwaukee.