What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

thriller talking facts-- but rn we have Ekpe Udoh who might be the most woke NBA player rn so i'm sure players can reach out to him to talk about the black experience in Utah.

Udoh is also a fringe NBA player.

It wouldn’t be the first time a human being put aside their feelings especially on something like race in order to maintain a desired salary and/or lifestyle.

All I’m saying is that there’s enough smoke to cause some alarm that fans actually do what players accuse them of doing.

And pissing off Westbrook with sticking a phone in his face at the end of an epic game and passing the most backwards laws in the nation isn’t exactly a good look. Doing these things won’t earn you a good reputation for players attracted to diversity and urbanization.

#hardtruths

What am I missing here. Why would Memphis leak that Conley doesn't want to come to Utah. How would that give Memphis additonal leverage and help negotiations with Utah?

There is zero logic there... it would only hurt our offer... does that get another team involved... nope and it would only lessen their offer.

It's not good... like at all.

There is zero logic there... it would only hurt our offer... does that get another team involved... nope and it would only lessen their offer.

It's not good... like at all.
And I don't buy the Pistons dropout stuff. They gotta be up to something after giving away Bullock and Johnson. They aren't gonna go TANK mode with Blake and Drummond.

And I don't buy the Pistons dropout stuff. They gotta be up to something after giving away Bullock and Johnson. They aren't gonna go TANK mode with Blake and Drummond.

Me either... those moves are goofy.

Westbrook didn't say anything about racism. He said fans were disrespectful. I don't want to dismiss those claims because I have no way of knowing if they're true. But I find them surprising. I haven't personally heard anything like that in the arena, and I wouldn't stand for it if I did.

Edit: I mean I would call them out if I heard that. I'm sure most fans would do the same.

You’re seeing only what you want to see.

His exact quote was “disrespectful and vulgar things” which he proceeded to describe as “personal attacks.”

He didn’t come out and say racist, so I’ll give you that. But it’s suspicious to me that after his comments it prompted former players to come out and describe their experiences with fans being “racist.”

Either way, is this the look we want? And we wonder why POC don’t want to play here in a small market known for a state with backwards laws?

Just think at our newest alcohol laws look like to most human beings in this nation.

Lol

MEM wouldn't leak to their only suitor that the suitor doesn't like them. That's akin to you wanting to ask out a really cute girl to dinner to Chili's, you find out she doesn't like you and you up your dinner ante to the Olive Garden. Ain't changing the fact that she still thinks you are a bum.

I think there's other possibilities still out there for MEM if they don't want to deal with us, but I don't think they will find a better deal that includes a pick and expirings. Conley also has zero say in where he wants to go as he's getting paid regardless.

I have no problems with Conley the player, but tying ourselves to his contract basically means that the team we're seeing now is the same team we're going to have for the next three years.

Me either... those moves are goofy.
As much as I like Maker's game, him and Svi in place of Bullock/Johnson have made the Pistons significantly worse in fighting for the playoffs. That's why it would make them look bad if they don't use that extra cap space to acquire Conley.

I haven't lost faith guys. I know DL is working and I hope (damnit I expect) that he figures something out.

Thriller I have never encountered anyone who views all of life through such narrow and tinted glasses. You find confirmation of your bias everywhere you look. You have become what you started out criticizing.

it's telling that every time the thriller comes up with something factual and uncomfortable, this is the response.

all he's saying is that there's a reputation in the league, and sometimes it may factor into where players want to play.

every jazz player, when they're trying to recruit a player not from Utah, will 100% have the conversation topic of "listen, it's not as BAD as you think" almost as soon as the conversation starts. That's rooted in the conservatism, and the whiteness of the state.

You’re seeing only what you want to see.

His exact quote was “disrespectful and vulgar things” which he proceeded to describe as “personal attacks.”

He didn’t come out and say racist, so I’ll give you that. But it’s suspicious to me that after his comments it prompted former players to come out and describe their experiences with fans being “racist.”

Either way, is this the look we want? And we wonder why POC don’t want to play here in a small market known for a state with backwards laws?

Just think at our newest alcohol laws look like to most human beings in this nation.

Lol

I don't see what I want to see. I'm pretty sure I take the cake when it comes to bitching about racism on General Forums.

And what does our alcohol laws have to do with racism?

I can believe that in the 90s or something, some fans were comfortable enough shouting racial slurs. But in this day and age? I don't believe it. People wouldn't ignore it.

As much as I like Maker's game, him and Svi in place of Bullock/Johnson have made the Pistons significantly worse in fighting for the playoffs. That's why it would make them look bad if they don't use that extra cap space to acquire Conley.

Detroit is so capped out that they were smart to get two projects on long term deals while also saving a couple million. If they decide to trade their 1st round pick to add to the roster, they know that they still have youth to develop (Svi, Maker, Kennard).

Just going to comment on stuff without quoting:

Windhorst is never right unless it involves Lebron or Lebrons team, I doubt the rumor.

Do. Not. Overpay. Including favors for Conley is an overpay, unless you somehow find a good starter in 24 hours.

No bad contracts. Period. By bad I mean dead weight or bad value. Gallinari is a terrible contract. Barnes is terrible for the money. I’m not sure even Otto Porter is worth the money.

Blue chip trades only. Blue chip=solid or great piece with no drastic overpay. Conley is a blue chip. Gary Harris is definitely a blue chip. Saric is a blue chip.

Someone asked when was the last time DL won a trade:

Rubio
Gobert
Mitchell
Korver
Crowder

His record is stellar. He makes smart trades, drafts well, treats players right which keeps agents happy, hasn’t taken on a bad contract as far as I know, and doesn’t make big mistakes. He’s an All-NBA GM, not perfect but one of the best.

In all honesty, what’s our window of opportunity here? It seems like some here think that we’re going to sign/draft a team that will all be in their primes next year and will remain with us for a decade.

I’m not sure if I buy into the “conley Is too old” argument. Isn’t our window realistically in 2-3 years? After that, we’ll probably lose at least Gobert or Mitchell.

I’m just worried that conley isn’t enough to warrant the loss of favors and Rubio. If that’s the case, what realistically is the market for one or both of those players? It would be a shame to lose favors for nothing this summer

I've normally hated how we've dangled our first round pick away the last few years, but the upcoming draft doesn't excite me. Fine packaging it for a proven commodity.

I would actually love to see us get uber-aggressive and go after someone like Aaron Gordon.