What's new

2020 All-Time Draft - Round 1: Ron Mexico vs Spycam

Who would win in a 7 game series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't get how this isn't unanimous. Love Spycam, but this matchup is 100% one way.

I am not a fan of Spy's line-up and feel like he forgot about SG when constructing the roster... but I still went with his team because he has the two most unstoppable offensive forces (Shaq & KD).

For Team Mexico, Dirk is going to feast against Lewis, but Ibaka, Odom & KD could give some resistance (overall, still going to get his). I think Giannis might struggle in this match up. Against the starters, Giannis would be dealing with Shaq, who actually has the size, athleticism, and strength to contain him. Outside of Shaq, Ibaka and Odom would do a decent job and prime Artest is similar defensively to Kawhi who successfully shut down Giannis in the playoffs last year.

Starting Rondo, Artest, and Lewis in an all time tourney is death. Not even Shaq can make up for that.
Stretch 4 complements Shaq, Awesome wing defender, High IQ distributing PG. And freakin KD and Shaq are forces of nature. I think it is very smartly constructed.

I am not a fan of Spy's line-up and feel like he forgot about SG when constructing the roster... but I still went with his team because he has the two most unstoppable offensive forces (Shaq & KD).

For Team Mexico, Dirk is going to feast against Lewis, but Ibaka, Odom & KD could give some resistance (overall, still going to get his). I think Giannis might struggle in this match up. Against the starters, Giannis would be dealing with Shaq, who actually has the size, athleticism, and strength to contain him. Outside of Shaq, Ibaka and Odom would do a decent job and prime Artest is similar defensively to Kawhi who successfully shut down Giannis in the playoffs last year.

When you can play KD at the 2, why bother?

At their peak Giannis, Shaq, and Durant:
https://www.basketball-reference.co...y3=2000&player_id3=onealsh01&idx=bbr__players

Points and shot attempts are pretty even, with Durant averaging 2 points more per game than Giannis or Shaq. Giannis has the most rebounds but Shaq is pretty much the same with Durant in a distant 3rd with 5 less per game. Giannis leads with the most assists as well with Durant really close and Shaq a distant 3rd. All of their net ratings are almost identical. Giannis leads the pack in PER but its fairly close. Durant leads in TS% but its close with Giannis in 2nd. Giannis is last place of the 2 with win shares but its pretty even when you look at win shares per 48. If you look at per 100 possessions stats or per 48 Giannis is pretty far ahead across the board. BPM is in Giannis favor. Vorp is in Durant's favor with Shaq close.

Giannis according to box score from PER had the 7th and 13th best season in NBA history.

Durant's peak year was at 25, Shaq's was at 27. Giannis best season so far is his current one at 25 but I have a feeling based on his development he keeps improving for a couple years.

I think he doesn't get the respect he deserves yet. He is already the best player in the NBA and on track to be one of the best ever. He is right there with Durant and Shaq. His defense is amazing and can guard two players at the same time. He can guard 1-5 effectively and covers more ground than anyone in the NBA right now. Not quite the rim protector that Rudy is but much better at every other aspect of defense including rebounding. Durant is a better shooter than Giannis but pretty much everything else I think Giannis is better at. The fact the Giannis is now a decent catch and shoot 3 point shooter is scary going forward.

Been board today... haha and I probably shouldnt bump this when I am ahead but thats okay. Ive enjoyed reading and watching videos.

First is Shaq was better on defense than I remember in his prime. His late years are stuck in my head. Except for in pick and rolls. He was so bad always. Not sure why teams didnt exploit him more here in the playoffs in his prime.

Second is looking more at Pettit. He was amazingly good. 2X MVP when there were other great players dominating around then. But this series against Boston was amazing for his only championship. Its amazing that Wilt and Pettit got past those Boston teams even once. Pettit went up against the Celtics team with 8 HOF players on the roster! In the game 6 that decided the series Pettit scored 50 points, the next closest on his team was 15. He was dropping crazy hook shots and deep shots from everywhere. Honestly he is an amazing stretch 4 that could/should start for me but he wont get votes in something like this. The dude didnt start lifting weights until after his first MVP. Even he was in todays modern system and had the advantages players had today he would be amazing. Thats something we leave out when we compare todays players to the old guys. The guys today have huge advantages with training and knowledge. Strength coaches, shooting coaches, nutritionist, private jets, and so on that the guys didnt have. Pettit has a similar to Jordan story. He got cut twice from his HS team and that motivated him to play harder. He was the one the original stretch 4s that learned to shoot while in the NBA already and became great at it. Leaning forward when he shot. He shot plenty from 3 point range and would have a lot more if it existed back then. Also crazy watching him shoot 1 handed FTs.

Stretch 4 complements Shaq, Awesome wing defender, High IQ distributing PG. And freakin KD and Shaq are forces of nature. I think it is very smartly constructed.

Rondo, overrated, Artest, never THAT good, Lewis ... meh ....

Pettit still has the 12th best all-time PPG in playoffs, 4th in rebounds per game in the playoffs, and 6th best at PPG in the finals. He was the first ever to score 20,000 points in his career.

Pettit also lost in game 7 to the Celtics the year before when he had the final shot that was in and out. So when they got a close out game the next year he had one of the greatest close out performances ever in the NBA. This still stands as the most points ever in a closeout finals game.

Starting Rondo, Artest, and Lewis in an all time tourney is death. Not even Shaq can make up for that.
Uhh, starting two of the better defenders at their position of all time and one of the better pure shooting stretch 4's next to an all-time center is death?

Yeah, at least for this matchup a prime KD/Shaq would be too much for Ron’s team. I don’t think either team is really all that good.

Just voted for Spy it’s 13-12 in Ron’s favor at the current moment.

Both teams could have been so much better. Spy had a chance to take Kemp and took Williams who he then traded to Ron.