What's new

2020 Free Agency Thread

So basically if no one gives him an offer he is likely back on another 2-way?

No, he's just an RFA. I had to look it up. Two-way contract players become RFAs at the end of their two-way contract, assuming they're active enough days and the team extends a qualifying offer.

Two-way Free Agents
A Two-Way player (other than a first round draft pick whose third or fourth year option was not exercised) will be a Restricted Free Agent at the conclusion of a Two-Way Contract if he was on the NBA team’s active or inactive list for 15 or more days of the NBA regular season in the last season of such contract and provided that the team makes a Qualifying Offer to the player.

No, he's just an RFA. I had to look it up. Two-way contract players become RFAs at the end of their two-way contract, assuming they're active enough days and the team extends a qualifying offer.

Two-way Free Agents
A Two-Way player (other than a first round draft pick whose third or fourth year option was not exercised) will be a Restricted Free Agent at the conclusion of a Two-Way Contract if he was on the NBA team’s active or inactive list for 15 or more days of the NBA regular season in the last season of such contract and provided that the team makes a Qualifying Offer to the player.

Uhhh, that doesnt negate anything I said.

If no one signs him, Utah will probably re-sign him to a 2-way.

Uhhh, that doesnt negate anything I said.

If no one signs him, Utah will probably re-sign him to a 2-way.

It depends on what the Jazz's qualifying offer is. It's possible that they're just offering him another one-year, two-way deal. That could be the minimum qualifying offer. Or it's possible that this is just a first step to secure restricted status, and the Jazz will offer him a different deal, like the deal they gave Juwan Morgan.

I really think there is like a 65% chance we are using the better part of the MLE to get Favs... not sure on the years but how ****ing hilarious/sad would that be given the pick last night.
Perfectly fine since picks aren't meant to contribute for a couple years. Favors on a one year deal would be nice. I prefer if we get a 4/5 that can shoot like what they hoped green would be. Along with a solid wing.

FYI:

When does free agency start?​

If we're being honest about tampering, free agency has already begun. If you're looking for the legal starting gun, though, it will come on Friday, Nov. 20 at 6 p.m. ET. That is when teams can legally contact players and their representatives and begin negotiating new contracts. Expect a deluge of early agreements at this point, but players can't actually sign quite yet.

Technically speaking, free agency isn't fully open until Sunday, Nov. 22 at 12:01 p.m. ET. That is when players can actually sign with new teams.

Unless Detroit has something up their sleeve, they basically have the same amount to spend on Christian Wood as anyone else does. Maybe even less (approximately ~$9 million) according to the Detroit News (not to mention that they’re loading up on bigs).

I love Jordan Clarkson but if I had to choose I would go with Wood in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Here are my lists of players i am intrigued by

PG
Matthew Dellavedova
Elfrid Payton
Kris Dunn - yes
Yogi Ferrell
Quinn Cook
Shabazz Napier
Emmanuel Mudiay
Raul Neto
Brad Wanamaker
Frank Jackson - yes
Jevon Carter - yes please
Gary Payton II
Shaquille Harrison - Yes
Jerian Grant
Frank Mason III

SG
Tim Hardaway Jr.
Kent Bazemore
E'Twaun Moore
Wayne Ellington
Joe Harris
Langston Galloway
Rodney Hood
Avery Bradley
Justin Holiday
Garrett Temple
Bryn Forbes
Denzel Valentine
Austin Rivers
Malik Beasley
Glenn Robinson III
Furkan Korkmaz
Pat Connaughton
Damyean Dotson
Sterling Brown
David Nwaba
Tyler Johnson
Justin Anderson

SF
Danilo Gallinari
Evan Turner
Solomon Hill
Maurice Harkless
Jerami Grant
Davis Bertans
Jae Crowder
Josh Jackson
Brandon Ingram
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
James Ennis
Torrey Craig
Derrick Jones Jr.
Wesley Iwundu

PF
Paul Millsap
Derrick Favors
Marcus Morris Sr.
Bobby Portis
James Johnson
John Henson
Ersan Ilyasova
JaMychal Green
Frank Kaminsky
Dario Saric
Juan Hernangomez
Harry Giles
Noah Vonleh
Markieff Morris
Skal Labissiere
Christian Wood
Semi Ojeleye
Marvin Williams
Juwan Morgan
Luc Richard Mbah a Moute

C
Bismack Biyombo
Tristan Thompson
Ian Mahinmi
Mason Plumlee
Meyers Leonard
Aron Baynes
Robin Lopez
Alex Len
Jakob Poeltl
Thon Maker
Willie Cauley-Stein
Kyle O'Quinn
Nerlens Noel
Ante Zizic
Willy Hernangomez
Justin Patton
I think a shorter list would have been people in the entire nba who aren't in those lists.

And then the year after that the jazz will focus on offense and so on. Just one big circle
No it's more like a sheet of paper. At the top it has "how do we improve our defense..." And at the bottom it says "turn over for answer" and on the other side it says "how do we improve our offense... Turn over for answer"

Remember when folks thought it was stupid for me to question this and that this happens all the time...

They have to open a token investigation from time to time, a lot like Trump making sure everyone knew months in advance the only way he could lose was by a fraudulent vote. The league has to say **** like this so people write posts exactly like yours.

I'm looking at the league and I'm finding a hard time identifying many teams if any who want to pay Clarkson more than MLE type money.

Who are the teams with cap space again?

Atlanta - no
Charlotte - no
Boston - no
NOLA - doubtful
Detroit - no
Knicks - doubtful
Miami - doubtful
Sac - maybe

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

Unless Detroit has something up their sleeve, they basically have the same amount to spend on Christian Wood as anyone else does. Maybe even less (approximately ~$9 million) according to the Detroit News (not to mention that they’re loading up on bigs).

I love Jordan Clarkson but if I had to choose I would go with Wood in a heartbeat.
Wood would be great here. I'm not fully convinced of his shooting but it's promising enough. He can play some at the 4 and backup 5 minutes assuming the rookie isn't ready. Biggest downside is we need a solid wing. So we need to trade for that or hope we can get one for cheap. I guess with the bi annual. I really wish we could sign wood and trade for Oubre. That gives us solid depth and solid starting I think. But that's a pipe dream I think.

I think I would choose a solid wing and a cheaper 4/5 if I was forced to choose, which we might be. Unless we somehow trade Conley for something decent or get real lucky.

Last edited:
I want Jerami Grant. He makes us a legit contender.

What y'all think about:

Conley to Chicago
Porter to Charlotte
Rozier to Utah

Chicago is in the market for a vet PG. Problem solved. Conley is expiring just like Porter.

Charlotte has too many PGs with LaMelo now, and they might be interested in trading for Otto Porter's expiring and have another option at wing.

We save $14.6 million with this deal which should be enough to offer Jerami Grant a tempting deal. Also, Rozier is a good perimeter defender which we need.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

It depends on what the Jazz's qualifying offer is. It's possible that they're just offering him another one-year, two-way deal. That could be the minimum qualifying offer. Or it's possible that this is just a first step to secure restricted status, and the Jazz will offer him a different deal, like the deal they gave Juwan Morgan.
They filled JWFs slot right away but haven't filled Brantley s. Tells me they want to keep him on a 2 way

Make it so Number one!

Christian Wood would be the dream signing this offseason. I can't let myself believe it's possible.
I think Christian Wood is the dream signing if we are moving Rudy. I don't think come playoff time that we would see Wood and Rudy able to share the court that much together especially with Bojan at SF. I think we could get destroyed by small ball teams even though we would have some advantages with our size. It would be like adding Horford to Embiid. We are so thin at the wing that we really need our resources to go in that direction.

The Udoka pick seems like Rudy 2.0. Sure they won't be completely identical, but it seems like that was the purpose of the pick (size, length, rim protection, finishing at the rim, rebounding, tradition C). If we believe Udoka is close to being a contributor and it seems like many feel this way on this forum, we could have a nice C tandem with Wood/Udoka. That combo is very versatile and would be locked up for the next 4 years potentially.

Rudy, Wood and Udoka seems like too many assets put in a position that can be schemed out come playoff time. It's similar to having $50 million put into Conley and Clarkson. We need help at SG, SF, and PF with guys who can defend.

I think Christian Wood is the dream signing if we are moving Rudy. I don't think come playoff time that we would see Wood and Rudy able to share the court that much together especially with Bojan at SF. I think we could get destroyed by small ball teams even though we would have some advantages with our size. It would be like adding Horford to Embiid. We are so thin at the wing that we really need our resources to go in that direction.

The Udoka pick seems like Rudy 2.0. Sure they won't be completely identical, but it seems like that was the purpose of the pick (size, length, rim protection, finishing at the rim, rebounding, tradition C). If we believe Udoka is close to being a contributor and it seems like many feel this way on this forum, we could have a nice C tandem with Wood/Udoka. That combo is very versatile and would be locked up for the next 4 years potentially.

Rudy, Wood and Udoka seems like too many assets put in a position that can be schemed out come playoff time. It's similar to having $50 million put into Conley and Clarkson. We need help at SG, SF, and PF with guys who can defend.
Wood can play with or without Rudy. Wood and Bogey could could share the court at the 4 and the 5. Depending on what the Jazz want to do and what their opponent dictates, Wood could also play with Rudy and as a versatile defender he can guard multiple positions. He's also a 6'10" dude who shot 39% from three last year. One of the reasons he'd be a dream signing is that first, he's just a very good player in general, but with his ability to defend multiple positions and stretch the floor with his shooting he can pretty much fit with any group. he can be a small ball 5 or a 3/4 in a big lineup.

Wood can play with or without Rudy. Wood and Bogey could could share the court at the 4 and the 5. Depending on what the Jazz want to do and what their opponent dictates, Wood could also play with Rudy and as a versatile defender he can guard multiple positions. He's also a 6'10" dude who shot 39% from three last year. One of the reasons he'd be a dream signing is that first, he's just a very good player in general, but with his ability to defend multiple positions and stretch the floor with his shooting he can pretty much fit with any group. he can be a small ball 5 or a 3/4 in a big lineup.
If we sign Wood with our full MLE, I'd be happy. However, I still have major concerns with our perimeter defense and lack of depth at SG and SF. Don, Royce and Joe simply are not enough. Conley and Clarkson are defensive liabilities. Are Hughes, Oni, others going to be ready without the advantages of a summer league and extended offseason?

Seems like Wood would be a fantastic addition if we were able to use the BAE on Dunn or Harrison. But what does that mean for Clarkson? Can't do all three and stay out of the luxury.

If we sign Wood with our full MLE, I'd be happy. However, I still have major concerns with our perimeter defense and lack of depth at SG and SF. Don, Royce and Joe simply are not enough. Conley and Clarkson are defensive liabilities. Are Hughes, Oni, others going to be ready without the advantages of a summer league and extended offseason?

Seems like Wood would be a fantastic addition if we were able to use the BAE on Dunn or Harrison. But what does that mean for Clarkson? Can't do all three and stay out of the luxury.
Any scenario that brings Wood and Harrison would be straight-up dope AF. We would get over Clarkson pretty quickly.