What's new

2020 Free Agency Thread

Any scenario that brings Wood and Harrison would be straight-up dope AF. We would get over Clarkson pretty quickly.

True.

The more I look at the numbers, the more I'm content with letting JC walk. Especially if we are this committed to Conley. They seem redundant.

Redundant how? The Jazz have a nice 3 guard rotation with Donovan, JC and Conley.

Because JC and Conley are liabilities on defense. They are nice to have for regular season cover, but in the playoffs, Denver nullified JC and Conley quite easily all while JC and Conley couldn't guard on the other end.

It all comes down to value and the luxury tax. If we were willing to go into the luxury tax, heck yeah we keep JC and Conley while spending all we can on exceptions. But we aren't going into the luxury which is why we gave assets to dump TB and Ed.

So if we have the chance to get an emerging young defensive talent like Wood or keep JC for probably more, I go with Wood.

Because JC and Conley are liabilities on defense. They are nice to have for regular season cover, but in the playoffs, Denver nullified JC and Conley quite easily all while JC and Conley couldn't guard on the other end.

It all comes down to value and the luxury tax. If we were willing to go into the luxury tax, heck yeah we keep JC and Conley while spending all we can on exceptions. But we aren't going into the luxury which is why we gave assets to dump TB and Ed.

So if we have the chance to get an emerging young defensive talent like Wood or keep JC for probably more, I go with Wood.
Point taken on the three providing very little defensive value. But...Denver didn't nullify Conley and JC; they averaged a combined 36.5 points.

After their 6 guaranteed contracts and 2 draft picks, the Jazz are about $26 million below the luxury tax. They could potentially sign JC, use the full MLE, and still have room under the tax to fill out the roster with minimum contracts. It's even possible they use the BAE as well and stay under the apron.

I don't think dumping Ed and TB means they necessarily won't spend into the LT at all; dumping them provides the Jazz with the flexibility to do so effectively. IF the Jazz think the cap is likely to increase in the future, this might be the perfect year to go into the tax to add talent, especially given the dearth of teams with space and Conley coming off the books next season.

Not saying the Jazz will spend. They do have some flexibility though. We'll have to wait and see what they do with it.

I want Jerami Grant. He makes us a legit contender.

What y'all think about:

Conley to Chicago
Porter to Charlotte
Rozier to Utah

Chicago is in the market for a vet PG. Problem solved. Conley is expiring just like Porter.

Charlotte has too many PGs with LaMelo now, and they might be interested in trading for Otto Porter's expiring and have another option at wing.

We save $14.6 million with this deal which should be enough to offer Jerami Grant a tempting deal. Also, Rozier is a good perimeter defender which we need.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

I like Grant a ton. Bledsoe is the top guy I'd want to flip for Conley though, opens up more money for Grant (or other FA) and is a better player in exchange for an extra year on the deal. Think it could be easier to work directly with New Orleans as well.

Point taken on the three providing very little defensive value. But...Denver didn't nullify Conley and JC; they averaged a combined 36.5 points.

After their 6 guaranteed contracts and 2 draft picks, the Jazz are about $26 million below the luxury tax. They could potentially sign JC, use the full MLE, and still have room under the tax to fill out the roster with minimum contracts. It's even possible they use the BAE as well and stay under the apron.

I don't think dumping Ed and TB means they necessarily won't spend into the LT at all; dumping them provides the Jazz with the flexibility to do so effectively. IF the Jazz think the cap is likely to increase in the future, this might be the perfect year to go into the tax to add talent, especially given the dearth of teams with space and Conley coming off the books next season.

Not saying the Jazz will spend. They do have some flexibility though. We'll have to wait and see what they do with it.
Conley and JC had monster Games 3 and 4. The whole team did. We dominated Denver for 6 or 7 of those 8 quarters. In the last 3 games, Denver made adjustments, started Morris, got back Harris, and then JC and Conley were largely irrelevant. Their inability to do anything on either end was the primary reason we lost 3 straight.

We don't have $26 because you have to account for a full roster of 12 or 13 guys. So since we don't have that many contracted guys, a minimum contract is put in it's place for the time being. So really, we have about $18 or $19 in space under the luxury. So if Clarkson gets his expected $10, we can't use the full MLE ($9.7) and fill out the roster while staying under the luxury.

If we want to keep those main 6 you listed (Conley, Rudy, Don, Royce, Joe and Bojan) plus the picks, we really don't have much ability to add JC and anything else of substance.

I would love Dunn, but with Conley here I don't think we have the minutes to offer him. Would totally trade Conley if we were able to get Justin Holiday and Dunn. Way better fits with Don.

But I think all of these Gobert/Conley trades are just not gonna happen. This team is all in on re-signing Clarkson and running it back. Everyone should expect, and be ready for that.

I would love Dunn, but with Conley here I don't think we have the minutes to offer him. Would totally trade Conley if we were able to get Justin Holiday and Dunn. Way better fits with Don.

But I think all of these Gobert/Conley trades are just not gonna happen. This team is all in on re-signing Clarkson and running it back. Everyone should expect, and be ready for that.

You're right of course, but why do you gotta bring me down man?

If we sign Wood with our full MLE, I'd be happy. However, I still have major concerns with our perimeter defense and lack of depth at SG and SF. Don, Royce and Joe simply are not enough. Conley and Clarkson are defensive liabilities. Are Hughes, Oni, others going to be ready without the advantages of a summer league and extended offseason?

Seems like Wood would be a fantastic addition if we were able to use the BAE on Dunn or Harrison. But what does that mean for Clarkson? Can't do all three and stay out of the luxury.
IMO it will take more than the MLE to sign Wood.

Totally spitballing here. Hayward comes to us and wants to facilitate a sign-and-trade.

Would you move Ingles in a trade for him while letting Clarkson sign elsewhere?

Get Hayward and use the MLE on someone?

I like Grant a ton. Bledsoe is the top guy I'd want to flip for Conley though, opens up more money for Grant (or other FA) and is a better player in exchange for an extra year on the deal. Think it could be easier to work directly with New Orleans as well.
If we could trade Conley for Bledsoe, I'd probably do that. We'd have to take more though. Maybe Bledsoe and Hill. Still seems very complicated.

The pipe dream is we move Conley for anything. Right there with it is the thought that he does anything but start every game. We are stuck with Conley at least until next year. That alone will hinder anything we can do this year. So we are already signing G league guys to 2-ways and 10-days and drafting poor fits. Just more of the same ****. Hopefully next year they get a clue and move on from Conley and try to land a 3rd star player. Otherwise we again are building to a high-character team that can't get out of the 2nd round.

We don't have $26 because you have to account for a full roster of 12 or 13 guys. So since we don't have that many contracted guys, a minimum contract is put in it's place for the time being. So really, we have about $18 or $19 in space under the luxury. So if Clarkson gets his expected $10, we can't use the full MLE ($9.7) and fill out the roster while staying under the luxury.
I don't understand your math:
8 players to about $106.5 mil
+ JC + MLE = 10 players at about $126.5 mil (using your JC number and rounding up)

$6 million is sufficient for 4-5 players at the minimum. It's also more than enough space to use the BAE and stay under the apron.

And poor though they were, JC and Conley still put up 28 ppg in games 5-7.

+ JC + MLE = 10 players at about $126.5 mil (using your JC number and rounding up)

$6 million is sufficient for 4-5 players at the minimum. It's also more than enough space to use the BAE and stay under the apron.

All losses, it should be noted

I need for a cap expert to chime in. From what I understand, we are $18 million under the luxury. That might include Clarkson's cap hold. Might not. Not 100% sure. We are probably in the middle of our two numbers somewhere.

Conley and JC are both good players. For my money, I wouldn't spend $10+ on JC if we keep Conley. We need defense in the worst way, and both of those guys provide offense from a small frame player. $45 million on those two seems like poor business.

I dont think the Jazz have any interest in moving Conley. I am very hopeful can find a way to get some real value out of the money we saved with shipping out Davis and Bradley