What's new

2020 Free Agency Thread

I am hesitant to give him 12M a year but 15M-20M. Not no but **** no. I would rather use that amount on a different player.
I wouldn't give JC a dime over $10. None of the salary cap teams are jumping to spend their space on JC. By giving him $10, we are giving more than any capped out team can give ($9.7).

He found a role here. He is relevant here. If he chooses to leave for less money or unexpectedly gets more than $10 from NY, Atlanta, or another project team, so be it.

We already outbid ourselves on poor contracts for Royce and Joe. No reason to do it again.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

I wouldn't give JC a dime over $10. None of the salary cap teams are jumping to spend their space on JC. By giving him $10, we are giving more than any capped out team can give ($9.7).

He found a role here. He is relevant here. If he chooses to leave for less money or unexpectedly gets more than $10 from NY, Atlanta, or another project team, so be it.

We already outbid ourselves on poor contracts for Royce and Joe. No reason to do it again.

We can overpay JC no problem. You know the FO in a year or two will find a way to offload his contract by giving away more picks

10-12 is the range I'm okay with Clarkson. Gives him a fair chunk more than he's getting elsewhere, but still in the same range as the MLE, movable if necessary.

15-20 would be tragic.

What is the list of teams who want Clarkson?

I imagine at best (from Clarkson's perspective) it's a list of squads with the non-tax MLE. I really can't see the few teams with real cap opting to use it on Clarkson (and plenty of them are talking about using it to take on bad cap for future assets/value).

Actually by NBA rules you HAVE to include minimum cap holds for untaken roster spots up until roster spot 12(included). Also... the MLE AFAIK is also added to our salary cap until it's used or renounced.
If you're interested in the current cap situation, sure, but that's not the point of this exercise.

The Jazz have about $26 million under the LT* to add 6 or 7 players by some combination of: re-signing JC, retaining current players on non-guaranteed contracts, using the MLE and BAE, and signing minimum contract players.

* Assuming Azubuike and Hughes are signed (the latter at the minimum).

If you're interested in the current cap situation, sure, but that's not the point of this exercise.

The Jazz have about $26 million under the LT* to add 6 or 7 players by some combination of: re-signing JC, retaining current players on non-guaranteed contracts, using the MLE and BAE, and signing minimum contract players.
What's a salary you would like for JC? How would you feel if we gave him something like... 3/48?

I always thought it was a consensus that JC's range was $10-12m. Reading Hollingers article today, he has him projected at $11.5m.

Which makes it a virtual lock that we pay him $14-16m.....

* Assuming Azubuike and Hughes are signed (the latter at the minimum).

Add in 4 minimum players and we are looking at around 22.6M in cap space for 2-3 players.

I always thought it was a consensus that JC's range was $10-12m. Reading Hollingers article today, he has him projected at $11.5m.

Which makes it a virtual lock that we pay him $14-16m.....

We may. Bogdan Bogdanovic of the Kings is supposedly looking for 18 million a year. He and JC are close on every statistic compared including age.

Add in 4 minimum players and we are looking at around 22.6M in cap space for 2-3 players.
But those minimum players might have some NBA experience, in which case the minimum salary is higher. Additionally, the Jazz have some non-guaranteed players making more than a minimum player with the equivalent experience.

Which is why it's simpler (and equally correct) to start with the full amount available to spend.

We may. Bogdan Bogdanovic of the Kings is supposedly looking for 18 million a year. He and JC are close on every statistic compared including age.

I’m sure most NBA players are looking for that but it doesn’t mean they’re getting it.

But those minimum players might have some NBA experience, in which case the minimum salary is higher. Additionally, the Jazz have some non-guaranteed players making more than a minimum player with the equivalent experience.

Which is why it's simpler (and equally correct) to start with the full amount available to spend.
You are right. $26 million on 6-7 players. Its highly more complicated when you get into exceptions, holds, MLE, roster requirements, etc. But broken down simply, you are correct.

In Tony jones latest article he says that signing Clarkson is the top priority for the Jazz. Despite drafting Azubuike they still plan on pursing a big man to hold down the fort while Rudy's off the floor. They're not looking to re-sign Mudiay and would like to find a point guard that can stay in front of people defensively. The Jazz are impressed with the development of Oni and Morgan and depending on what happens in free agency, both have a chance at grabbing a spot in the rotation. They believe that Oni has a chance to be their best perimeter defender and are impressed with Morgan's defense, basketball IQ, rebounding and athleticism.

In Tony jones latest article he says that signing Clarkson is the top priority for the Jazz. Despite drafting Azubuike they still plan on pursing a big man to hold down the fort while Rudy's off the floor. They're not looking to re-sign Mudiay and would like to find a point guard that can stay in front of people defensively. The Jazz are impressed with the development of Oni and Morgan and depending on what happens in free agency, both have a chance at grabbing a spot in the rotation. They believe that Oni has a chance to be their best perimeter defender and are impressed with Morgan's defense, basketball IQ, rebounding and athleticism.
Why add another center if we have Rudy, impressive Morgan, and Udoka unless he's talking about pursuing a minimum contract big man?

If they let Favors go I'm not sure sure we do need to take more.

Anywho, they can't trade Bledsoe with anyone else because he just got traded.
They could make it a three way, deals aren't finalized until Sunday, right?